My Manix 2 Maxamet Just Snapped !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
976CFC82-CEDF-45DA-9736-5633F4C72019.jpeg CE8AE26B-0183-4231-960A-F58EACB3DA91.jpeg 976CFC82-CEDF-45DA-9736-5633F4C72019.jpegJust scoring a piece of drywall. Anyone know if this covered under warranty. If not this is a $200 POS. Only used for 2 weeks and was purchased new on Amazon.

Like rycen said, I would definitely call Spyderco.

I would also add, these high hardness steels don’t like any kind of lateral pressure. They are very hard and have a high carbide content. This equates to great cutting performance in regards to wear resistance, but less toughness.

At least in my experience anyway.

Let us know what Spyderco tells you. They are a great company and will most likely make it right.

Oh I feel you. Maxamets don't really do well with side pressure. Great when cutting though!
I hope Spyderco takes care of you!

Thanks guys, I’ll let you know how it goes. I honestly don’t think I put that much pressure on the blade to break it. I have a pm2 in s110v that I put thru more abuse and never had a problem. Oh well.

Mine has snapped exactly like yours did a few years back. Was cutting up a section of conveyor belt, something I had done a thousand times with my other Spyderco knives with no problems. The handle was in my hand and the blade was still in the conveyor belt. Spyderco sent me a new one. I won’t buy another Maxamet blade again.

High hardness usually means brittle. I'm sure 110v and maxamet are great, but I'm perfectly happy with my 20cv/m390 and m4.

I believe when they first contemplated using Maxamet for blades there was some concern whether it would be tough enough for normal use. It has proven to work well for blades, tougher than originally thought, but in the realm of toughness I think it is still over on the brittle side. It would be good for cutting a lot of softer materials but for cutting tough materials I would pick M4, Rex45 or maybe even better, Cruwear. I have an old Manix 2 in M4 that I use as a work knife around my house. I still don't use it for prying or anything like that.

i have heard of other similar cases with the maxamet snapping in the same location, so i would expect spyderco to be aware of it and will probably warranty it

Used California legal blade with wave opener for sale.

I realize you are responding in jest and it was kinda funny. But just to be clear, in case someone assumes what you are insinuating is actually factual.

In California...

There are no blade length restrictions on typical folder knives.
There are no blade length restrictions on fixed blade knives (dirk & dagger) as long as they are not concealed.
There IS a 2 inch blade restriction on knives where the blade is concealed in the handle and is actuated by a button (switchblades).

OP, I hope you get your knife sorted by Spyderco. Keep us posted.

I have found high hardness steels are not best for my uses ... I snapped the only Maxamet blade I had, it happened to be a Manix 2 also. Since that I have went with M4 ... Cruwear ... Rex 45 and steels in that line in my Spyderco knives instead they serve me very well. That said Spyderco will probably replace it.

Surprising. I don't think scoring a piece or drywall (for getting a clean snap when you bend it I guess), is usually done with a crappy disposable utility knife no problem. Is not that you where prying open a tank hatch or anything. Any knife should be able to do that just fine... Something has to be wrong with that blade.

Mikel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back