My new favorite hobby...

Awesome shots!

What's the shotgun?

Until you get another light or two, to get light from below or side, you could try experimenting with sheets of aluminum foil, placed low and/or to the sides. First, crumple the sheets, then flatten them out....softens the bounced light.

I shall order a large steak & cheese sub for lunch today and use the tin foil for my next photo session. ;)
Seriously though I'll use your suggestion. I think that will work great.

As for the shotgun, it's a Remington model 870 "Home Defense". It comes standard with 2 shot extension tube and plastic furniture. I put a Cavalry Arms SST-870 stock adapter on with a collaspible m4 stock. The adaptor has a rail for whatever kind of sight you want. I have an ATN Ultra Sight on mine.

Here's a quick pick of the whole boom-stick.

Thanks a lot, Physics for the reply, and for the link. I was droolin' in front of my screen......
Nice customised 12 gauge you got there.....

Here's quick pic of two things I received yesterday. This is my second Lynn Dawson and it won't be my last. I dig her work. :D

It has a "timeless" quality... D'Oh! :eek:

Found a box of my brothers old bb gun stuff and thought I'd try something. Here's the results of cleaning out my closet last night. :)

Here's one over the top, super heavy duty folder designed my Liong Mah and built by Eddie Bacca. This sucker has a BG-42 blade @ 4", 5 1/2" handle for 9 1/2" oal. The titanium frame is a 1/4" thick. Just a monster! :D

Physics.... fantastic photos and collection. Thanks for sharing. I have told you before, but it's worth mentioning again; your photos are very well done. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply and compliments, tarmix. :) This whole knife photography thing is just way too much fun. It's sorta zen and relaxing. Atleast most the time... heh. You should see some of the horrible pics I've taken. I'm not so zen after reviewing those. ;)

tarmix101 said:
Physics.... fantastic photos and collection. Thanks for sharing. I have told you before, but it's worth mentioning again; your photos are very well done. :thumbup:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :) You're gifted, Physics, that's all !!!!!.....

Thanks man, you inspired me to get the camera out and try more. I was working with plain backgrounds, kinda boring. Great knives and watches in interesting environments.

Thank you, book'em. :)

I know exactly what you mean about trying to photograph just a naked knife. I got frustrated and bored with that pretty fast, so I emptied out my closets and started tossing knives on top of the piles. It's alot more fun coming up with knife "diorama's" and photograhing those. Also helps distract from the fact that I don't really know what the hell I doing. :eek: ;)

Physics, you have a talent there. What camera equipment are you using? I got myself a Canon 20D and a few grand in lenses. Really like you work. Keep it up.

Physics, Very nice photos!! In spite of using one light source, you've got the light spread around pretty decently. As Nozh2002 recommended, adding a second or third light source can help fill in some of the dark spots.

Not that you need the help, but there are a bunch of links to knife photography tutorials, tips, and techniques found by clicking the link in my signature below.

Thank you for sharing your great shots. Much appreciated.

Tanx for looking and the compliments Rok and Ruben. :)

Awesome links Ruben. Thank you very much for those. Started making a better lightbox already w/ foam core and garbage bags. I need to get some daylight balanced bulbs next. Took a pic of my watch and my grandfathers old, broken Minolta with the new set up.

I'm using a little Cannon S2 IS. I'm digging the versitility of this all-in-one camera package but it does have its negative points, mainly action shots. On the other hand it does take video at 640x480@30fps while simultaneously taking full res stills. Mainly I just take still life, and landscape shots though. All in all I like it.

Physics said:
Thanks for the reply and compliments, tarmix. :) This whole knife photography thing is just way too much fun. It's sorta zen and relaxing. Atleast most the time... heh. You should see some of the horrible pics I've taken. I'm not so zen after reviewing those. ;)

Hmmm... I need to learn from you. I tend to use a lot of four letter words when I notice a reflection, glare, or overshadow, that I didn't pick up pre-shot. At least digital has mellowed me some, since I can immediately review the shot, and not wait to get the film developed :eek: . Have you shot anything mirror polished yet? That is my current hurtle with knife photography...

Bladewolf said:
...Have you shot anything mirror polished yet? That is my current hurtle with knife photography...
For mirror polished blade you should use white screen (every office supplay has some foam sheets) and position it the way it will be reflected in blade, of course you should set one lamp to lighten it.

Digital camera also allows you to set WB to lamp or even set WB manually.

Thanks, Vassili.

I haven't really photographed anything with a high polish, high reflectivity yet. The most reflective things would be watch crystals but they are small and not too difficult to get right. You should look at the threads started by Vassili as the majority of blades he photographs have a high polish and look great. He even has a pic of his lighting set up in one of the threads. Good stuff. :)

Thanks, Cheung. Before I got into knives a few years ago it was all about watches. Now Knives have pretty much eaten up all my disposable income. Been months and months since I bought a new watch... :(

Here's an Orsa Pro Diver quatz watch.

Back