My new favorite hobby...

nozh2002 said:
For mirror polished blade you should use white screen (every office supplay has some foam sheets) and position it the way it will be reflected in blade, of course you should set one lamp to lighten it.

Digital camera also allows you to set WB to lamp or even set WB manually.

Thanks, Vassili.

Thank you Vassili, I've tried something like that, but still thought I was getting to much gleam from the blade, maybe I'll try more diffusion, and play with the WB.

Physics, you just seem to be a natural at it. Now I have your work to aspire to, and Vassili, and of course Coop.

The high polished blades need a transluscent diffuser, lit from behind. The absolute cheapest is a white plastic garbage bag, but the better stuff is draftsman's Velum tracing paper, sold at every good artists supply house.

I just purchased two sheets at 32"x40" for less than $4.00 each. I'll be using it this weekend.

Or there is some real photo specific diffuser called 'clear frost' or something similar that you can purchase at B&H or others.

Then it's a matter of positioning the lights. Look up Nozh2002's posts to see some WILD blade lighting. It's all yours. :)

Coop

Great Pics
I Understand what you mean about finding a new hobby.
I love taking pics of my gear

Thanks Alan. It is fun AND educational. Yet the more I come to understand about photoragphy, the more I understand I know nothing about photograhpy. :confused: ;)

Whatever... :D

Wandering around the local Ace hardware/crafts store I found a big selection of 1' square card stock blotters/backgrounds. Lots of different patterns and colors. Figured they'd make for good backgrounds so I bought a bunch of them.

Here's a bright yellow/rusty one I figured would contrast well with my llittle Greg Lightfoot 458mag. or 456mag? Can't remember the the number now. D'Oh! :eek:

Hmmm... maybe it isn't kevlar. :confused: Guy I bought it from off ebay said it was but here's a link to Lonestar Watches which contratdicts that, http://lonestarwatches.com/Bungee.htm . Eitherway I like mine quite a bit and paid the same price anyway. I've bought a few straps from Walt at Lonestar before and he is first class. You can't go wrong there.

Thanks for the compliments guys. :)

Harm, I'm using a Canon S2 IS. I put it on a timer & stuck it in front of a mirror for a "self portrait". The pic is back on page 2 with the trees. :D

Back