My new knives are being made !

I'm happy to say that after years of working on this design my knives are finally being made !
The first step is cutting the blanks from the SK-85 plates.

I though that was pretty cool so I added a video of the process for those interested

Here is a sneak-peek of the prototypes for those interested !

Aurora Borealis Knives
Model: Kodiak
Steel: SK-85 58hrc
Handles: G10
OAL: 15.25 inches
Blade: from handle 9.75 inches sharp 9.25 inches
Thickness: approx 0.27 inch
Weight: 1lb12oz (sheath add 7oz)
Sheath: kydex with nylon belt loop

unnamed8 by Alex B, sur Flickr

Feel free to ask questions if you are interested !

Last edited:
why sk85? ... just curious if the price is really low or something, personally I'd go for 80crv2 which is rather similar but the addition of some vanadium helps and it's likely a much cleaner steel (no copper, which sk85 has)

why sk85? ... just curious if the price is really low or something, personally I'd go for 80crv2 which is rather similar but the addition of some vanadium helps and it's likely a much cleaner steel (no copper, which sk85 has)

several reasons:
- availability
- much better price
- my prior experience with this steel is excellent. Very good toughness, good edge holding and easy to sharpen

80crv2 used to be quite inexpensive, so that's interesting, but I'm guessing recent popularity has made it jump in price?
In any case, if you get similar performance with sk85 that should be really good

80crv2 used to be quite inexpensive, so that's interesting, but I'm guessing recent popularity has made it jump in price?
In any case, if you get similar performance with sk85 that should be really good

sk85 and sk5 are pretty much the same thing and has been used in many hard use knives such as the cold steel bushman, trailmaster or hultafors gk...

I find it’s an excellent bang for the buck steel. I used to be obsessed about super steels but i found out after time that for a big chopper a simple high toughness steel like sk5 works great

Last edited:
Wow. Dimensions, weight? Reason you did not choose full flat?

Those are the specs for the prototype. Final production version may be slightly different

Aurora Borealis Knives
Model: Kodiak
Steel: SK-85 58hrc
Handles: G10
OAL: 15.25 inches
Blade: from handle 9.75 inches sharp 9.25 inches
Thickness: approx 0.27 inch
Weight: 1lb12oz (sheath add 7oz)
Sheath: kydex with nylon belt loop

How many are you having made? Also congrats!

This first run is small (approximately 80 depending on losses during manufacturing)

I will sell them by batch (probably 10 at a time) as they are completed.

I expect the first batch to be ready by early 2020 ( fingers crossed)

Congrats! Looks like a nice chopper!
Who's making them for you?

I have been making hand made knives for years now but concidering the time I put in each knife it would never be cost effective to sell them. I make them for family and friends...

for this knife I wanted to build the best product I could at the best price. Most of the steps in manufacturing are automated
(Blanks laser cut, bevels and handle scales cut by CNC)

I tried to find shops in Canada and the USA but the prices were way too high.
My plan was to get the knife and sheath at around 200 usd

I contacted a friend in Taiwan who has been making knives for several large companies and we have nailed down a good process for production using high tech CNC process

I hope people will like the knife... if this works out I have plans for other designs in the future

Back