My new MT Mini Socom Elite MA

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased an MSE and have noticed that opening action was very stiff. After calling Microtech, they suggested I send it down to have it looked at. I'd rather not have to send the knife off to Florida.

I kept looking at the knife and discovered that the blade pivot is fine when the lock is held back from the blade. It's the frame lock that's pressing so hard against the tang that it makes the blade harder than usual to open.

What I'm wondering, has anyone noticed the same thing? Is this a characteristic of the knife or is there a problem with mine?

A friend suggested that I give the knife a good washing and oiling to see if it helps.

Does anyone have any tips for improving the blade opening action?

Originally posted by mistakaroo
I got some para-cord from Phil @ 2thehilt today (great service btw) and made a lanyard for the MSE. About halfway through, I was thinking I shouldnt have made it closed loop like that because if I ever decide to take it off, the only way is to cut where it loops (a waste of paracord) or cut the ends, take it apart, and start all over (waste of time). The para-cord has two filler stands in it so its not the mil-spec one and I gutted it so its just the shroud. I also wanted to try the one that Chris Reeve uses on his knives, but ill do that later on.

mtlanyard.txt

Nice pic, and nice lanyard. I'm fricking terrible at making them :) Even following the directions mine never seem to turn out well, lol

Originally posted by chadNF
Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased an MSE and have noticed that opening action was very stiff. After calling Microtech, they suggested I send it down to have it looked at. I'd rather not have to send the knife off to Florida.

I kept looking at the knife and discovered that the blade pivot is fine when the lock is held back from the blade. It's the frame lock that's pressing so hard against the tang that it makes the blade harder than usual to open.

What I'm wondering, has anyone noticed the same thing? Is this a characteristic of the knife or is there a problem with mine?

A friend suggested that I give the knife a good washing and oiling to see if it helps.

Does anyone have any tips for improving the blade opening action?

Just how stiff is it? Can you still open and close it with one hand? A few hundred actions should smooth it up (after washing and oiling), I know mine did.

An update:

The opening action returned to normal after a thorough washing with running water and dish soap, followed by a small squirt of WD-40 on the pivot.

I'm not sure what was causing the stiffness, something must have gummed it up.

Now I have to deal with bending the clip... :(

Back