My New Toy!!

Good score! How's it flip?

I had one on order but had to cancel at the last minute. :( Next year though!!

I haven't gotten a chance to flip her yet,just came early this morning.My wife works nights and is sleeping.If I start making metal flipping sounds,I'll find out how she cuts;)

Which brings us to the age old question anyway.To flip or not to flip?Once you start flipping there is no going back,she's a virgin only once.What do you think?:D

She's puuuuuurrrrrrty. Bastidge!
Whoa, Manila style. I used to prefer Manila, now I think I like Batangas style for the tad extra weight of the latch for more inertia while flipping. Good score, bastidge.

It all depends if you are going to start a collection or not. If not, then flip away.

Very, Very nice! I have one on order and it keeps me awake some nights just anticipating it!;)

Oh, good one. That MIGHT be one with roller bearings.

Chuck, how can you tell??? And what other options does Erickson use? Is he slowly switching over, or do only certain bali's get the roller bearings?

Originally posted by Gollnick
That MIGHT be one with roller bearings.
Hey, that's what some of us older generation mech engineers call anything that's round and resides in a confined space that serves as a bearing than a bushing. Wanna debate the difference Chuck? :D

Not all roller bearing need to be made with tiny ball bearings in it... It might be the common name for the products from Cooper, but lots of other companys been making solid versions of it for a long time before Cooper showed up. Wanna debate that too, Chuck?

Tombstone: Nice one. Bill Seigel had that one custom made for him by Walter. How can you tell? It's the only one with tiny holes drilled in the handles. Not a common Erickson feature. Good one. Flip it, it's meant to be used. Walter wouldn't have want it any other way.

Wanna debate the difference Chuck?

Wanna debate that too, Chuck?

Chill out dude. Take a Stress Tab or something.

If you haven't figured it out yet, Tony, this place is NOT a debate. It's not a contest. Sorry to disappoint you, but there's no prize awarded.

This place is about sharing and encouraging each other and promoting these odd knives that we all seem fond of.

If you're looking for a fight, please do it somewhere else.

And now you've gone and spoiled Mr. Tombstone's nice thread showing us his exciting new toy.

Originally posted by Gollnick
This place is about sharing and encouraging each other and promoting these odd knives that we all seem fond of.
Gee, couldn't tell by the way you took so much effort in your Tachyon disassembly article to debunk the last time I mentioned it, I figure it might have meant something special to you. Still, I do see this as a learning situation if we can explain the difference between the functions of a "roller" versus a "bushing". The better we clear this up, the less chance someone else would be mislead. You never know when someone really needs to know that information, as it is part of the Erickson and Tachyon's construction.
And now you've gone and spoiled Mr. Tombstone's nice thread showing us his exciting new toy.
If I did, I apologize.

Not looking for a fight on purpose, just wanting to extend everyone's knowledge. And asking you for your versions of the two bearing types.

Besides, I shared a tidbit about his bali I doubt anyone told him. How could that spoil his day?

Edited to include:I disagree with the notion that debates are bad for this forum. The expressing of different opinions are fundamentally the strongest benefits of this forum. Since it is an open forum with everyone having equal rights to express themselves, differences of opinion will happen. With that, debates by nature is what makes this forum so interesting. If I'm wrong about the roller bearings, I'll be the first to acknowledge it.

What is wrong with a civilized debate? Who else will we learn from eachother? This place is about the exchange of ideas, not about agreaing witht he first person to post a view.

As far as the bearing question, I have spent alot of time as of late going though learning about bearings for this aplication. Baised on the comon usages of the words (on the web sites of the pople that mke them) the kind of bearings used in say the Tachyon can be described as BOTH a roller bearing and a race. To me this is a question of semantics. Much like the terms "faulse edge" and "swedge." Not to say that acuracy is not important, but there are alot of bigger fish to fry out there.

Tombstone, great looking bali! Congrates!

Thanks for all the info guy's.Now all of ya be good bastids here and no fighting.I would definatetly like to start a collection.However;It would be a collection for me not investment,so to be honest if I flipped her and made her used I probably wouldn't care to much.I have owned,bought,traded,sold many a knife.I've never really had a focus to my collecting.It is hard to collect every type of knife.Plus,I used to trade a folder to get a fixed blade and visa versa.Now don't get me wrong,I've enjoyed trading and selling,but I want to have a specific focus to my knife collecting and stick with it.I used to own a couple different custom bali's and was sorry I got rid of them.Mr.Dawkind here at the forums observing his many posts and pictures of his collection,well it has motivated me to choose a type of knife and specifically collect one type.So after much careful consideration I finally felt that Butterfly knives generate the most interest and excitement for me.This Erickson sure was a good start if I don't say so myself!

Oh and Tony thanks for that info,that is very interesting to know,I appreciate it.I would also be curious to know if there was an easy way to know if the knife had roller bearings.Thanks again,Ralph

Christ oh mighty!!! Hey Gollnick, you OK buddy? Settle down, debates are a good thing, unless you really hate being wrong in a bad way. Were all friends here.arent we? lol.

There is a substantial difference between a polite, positive, constructive discussion and a bitter, negative, distructive fight.

For years in this forum I have demonstrated a constant willingness to participate in polite, positive, constructive discussions.

would also be curious to know if there was an easy way to know if the knife had roller bearings

Sure, take it apart and have a look. Mr. Erickson's balisongs are very easy to disassemble and reassemble. The difference between a simple sleeve bearing and a roller beariing is quite easy to see.

Please let use know what you find.

Wow, cool!
I like the way those handles look.

Looks like a great found, Tombstone. :D

Back