Recommendation? My Next Cold Steel?

Smaug

Gold Member
Currently in Cold Steel, I have a Tuff Lite and a Voyager L, clip.

The Voyager's too big; I'll never use it. The Tuff Lite is the most comfortable knife I have, in the hand. But I'm finding I don't really care for the blade shape. It's not good for slicing food; knuckle interference problems with the table. I'd like something in the 2.5 - 3" range. But I think I could "settle" for 3.5", since that's what Cold Steel likes to make.

Should I get an American Lawman, while they're still readily available used, and overpay?

Or should I get a Code 4?

My day job is office work, so I feel like the Code 4 makes more sense for me anyway. It's one of those that will likely be carried a lot and used a little. I also feel like the Code 4 will be easier on my pockets than the AL.

But the AL's grip looks better; more ergonomic.

Other knives I have in that size range: Spydiechef, Benchmade 940

Code 4 is very easy to carry.
Its also very smooth to open.
Hob3Emdh.jpg

It comes with some sharp areas that I smoothed out and its pretty amazing.
Try a tanto for fun, mine is very slicey.
Vgu5BuQ.jpg

American Lawman is a great knife. Though, I do like the older thicker handles better. The new thinner handle makes it a bit awkward for me to deploy

I would check out the Grik...3" blade, and I like that the clip is as wide as the handle, so its actually like part of the handle. Could also look for a used Mini Lawman...2 1/2" blade. I went from the Mini Lawman to the Tuff Lite to the Grik for EDC. If they offered the Tuff Lite with a slightly curved blade, that would probably be my perfect knife, as it looks more "utility/tool" rather than "weapon".

Both are good choices. Both have handles that are thin. Lawman is wider in the pocket. Neither scale material is especially rough. Aluminum is smoother and arguably a bit slick. You may need to reduce clip tension on both; CS is notorious for tight clips.

I do like the Code 4. It's good in the pocket, and, unusually for a Cold Steel, easy to extract from the pocket. A reasonable price too. In my limited edc usage the grip is fine. I've never used it for prolonged periods. I imagine few of us do. If we did we would more likely choose a fixed blade.

I like the Code 4 also. I like the heft and durability of the metal handles. I grew up with wood, stag, metal handled knives and I manged to keep all of my fingers etc. so the "slickness" does not bother me. Don't get me wrong I love the Kraton on my fixed blades. I also prefer metal guns to plastic so take my advice with due consideration. My solution it to have 10ish folders(and about the same for fixed too) for EDC depending on my needs and wants at the time.

Gonna get the Code 4, thanks to y'all's advice.

Most folks say the Code 4 is easy to carry, while the Manix2 is nearly 2" wide, in the pocket.

This time, in gonna have to support Taiwanese labor, but the American design company.

Loosening the pocket clip is easy: just clip it on a stack of business cards for a day or two.

Thanks guys.

Scratch that last post. I punked out in the end and got the Manix2 in translucent blue.

US-made + better ergos + no thumb stud in the way while slicing or sharpening just sealed the deal.

Sorry to be a let-down.

Cold Steel should open a factory stateside.

The American Lawman is one of my two favorite edc folders. The handle of the code4 is too slick for my taste. I had to apply some adhesive grip tape to the sides. This is a nice folder, but the AL is better. Much like a small version of the Recon 1, another of my favorites.
Just food for thought for the future.

I got the Code 4 for for a good EDC slim and easy on the pocket knife. I got it for every day pocket carry and use, I'm not slaying tons of boxes with it or gutting critters, it works good for general purpose use.

I find my Recon 1 a bit grippity in the pocket with the G-10 but I love that one too.

Scratch that last post. I punked out in the end and got the Manix2 in translucent blue.

US-made + better ergos + no thumb stud in the way while slicing or sharpening just sealed the deal.

Sorry to be a let-down.

Cold Steel should open a factory stateside.

true enough, it would be cool to see them make more things stateside, or back in Japan if they are keeping it overseas.

for what you needed the knife for, even though it would be a bigger blade than you like, the steve austin broken skull would have been my suggestion. i think it is currently one of the best folders for the price and even outside its price

true enough, it would be cool to see them make more things stateside, or back in Japan if they are keeping it overseas.

for what you needed the knife for, even though it would be a bigger blade than you like, the steve austin broken skull would have been my suggestion. i think it is currently one of the best folders for the price and even outside its price

I thought about it, but it's the same size as the Larger Voyager, right? Also, "Broken Skull".... I just can't do it. Illinois doesn't have length restrictions outside of the city, but if it was ever in question whether I was carrying it as a weapon or not, and the cop saw "Broken Skull" on a 4" blade, I don't think it would go well for me.

I just got my divorce finalized today. Got a refund check for homeowner's insurance for the house we just sold, and my half will cover a Code 4. So screw it, I'm getting it anyway. ;)

The handles on the Code 4 are very well shaped to fit my hand. But I found them a bit slick. I don t like metal handles as much as some others for this reason. Remember that grip tape will provide good traction on the handles as seen in the pictures of post #2 above.

I don't think I'll mind the metal handles. I'm a desk jockey.

The large size is what I worry more about...

I've had the Code 4 for a week or more now. I just put a review up in the Revies sub-forum.

I LOVE this knife. I haven't had a 3.5"+ folder that I've been willing to carry this much. I call it a tie with the Spyderco Kapara, which is high praise indeed, since the Kapara costs well over double what the Code 4 does. The Code 4 actually has a better blade, too.

If anyone is contemplating whether a folder with a 3-5/8" blade can be comfortably pocket-carried in an EDC role, I encourage them to give the Code 4 a shot. It's wonderful.

I've had the Code 4 for a week or more now. I just put a review up in the Revies sub-forum.

I LOVE this knife. I haven't had a 3.5"+ folder that I've been willing to carry this much. I call it a tie with the Spyderco Kapara, which is high praise indeed, since the Kapara costs well over double what the Code 4 does. The Code 4 actually has a better blade, too.

If anyone is contemplating whether a folder with a 3-5/8" blade can be comfortably pocket-carried in an EDC role, I encourage them to give the Code 4 a shot. It's wonderful.

Glad you like the Code 4. I like mine . It carries very small for its size. Feels good in hand.

Btw, you did a nice review.

but if it was ever in question whether I was carrying it as a weapon or not, and the cop saw "Broken Skull" on a 4" blade, I don't think it would go well for me.

Contrary to popular belief, most cops are not actually mentally handicapped and do not, in fact, use an item's name to determine it's purpose, they at least NORMALLY judge on your behavior. And if your behavior is being suspect, it's not gonna matter if the name of your knife "Broken Skull", "Murder One", "Happy Place", or "Rainbow Unicorn". I mean, do you think carrying a Spyderco CIVILIAN would be okay then, since it doesn't have a bad name?

Back