Naked and Afraid on Discovery

Saw this show briefly and turned the channel. I can find better survival techniques watching "The Walking Dead". I just can't ever see myself in a survival situation, naked, with only one item (Do I pick the ball-bearings, or the 3in1 oil?). Tailor made for those TV viewers wanting something more adventurous than "Honey Boo-boo".

Just started watching episode three. Being Irish, I burn easy. But this guy, sheesh. You would think his one survival item would have been sun block.

The little gal in that 3rd episode was pretty cool, one of the best people I've seen on these types of shows.

The recon/marine sniper was a bit disappointing. I consider myself somewhat a rugged outdoors-man however if I were stripped of my clothing (particularly boots) and my typical EDC gear I don't think I'd try that challenge for 21 days. I've got a military background as well but we always had some gear.

I agree, the gal was impressive.

I find it interesting, especially (1) to see how much mental/emotional toughness matters, (2) seeing how vital energy conservation is when you have so little food for so long, and (3) shelter shelter shelter!

So far all the shelters have been weak.....The 3rd chick was the best prepared, the most knowledgeable about her surroundings and has been the best so far. The two military guys are very disappointing, they want to get through on sheer will and rely heavily on equipment. Their training is designed to require them to "survive" just a few days as the assumption is they are on someone's radar and will have a SAR looking for them in under 72 hours. WTF with their lack of preparedness. I would assume if you are signing up for this show you do a little homework, like finding a natural sunburn protection and learn how to build a decent shelter or bed. Read people, READ. You can learn a lot from books and others experience. If I agreed to do the show I would be making shelters like crazy to see what works.

In all three episodes the women tend to better cope with the experience. I have been disappointed with the men. When I first heard the last two guys had military survival training (one was a survival instructor) I was really excited. I thought I would see some great skills and management of the situation. Instead I saw a lot of complaining and lack of seeing the opportunities available.

Gotta give to the women on the show so far. They have been the better halves.

I watch the last episode and again the woman performance was much better than so called Survival Instructor.
What struck me the most was, the Survival Instructor "one tool of choice":confused::D hoo man,,, He, barely could swim:yawn::D

I like the show myself. Of course I dont expect much from a TV show anymore but I do enjoy this show more than other survival shows. It really shows a better representation of the mental strain to expect on such a journey. Hopefully folks watching are taking away the lesson of dont get caught out there "naked and afraid"! Take some knowledge and some supplies. For example, it's nice to know primitive fire starting techniques but a Bic will get you fire more efficiantly. Take both just in case :)

It's progressively getting better. I've watched episodes 1 to 3. Wasn't crazy about episode 1 but 3 was pretty good. they are kind of doing the Dual Survival type dynamic, military type coupled with non-military type. So far the civilians seem to be fairing better.

Last edited:
The young lady (Laura Zerra) on the Panama episode, could have her own show IMO, successfully used a fire drill/bow in a tropical location, hand made lobster trap that caught 2 lobsters, treated medical condition with local plants, field dressed small Camian with a sliver of broken glass, all while dealing with a survival "expert" that was scared of his own shadow.

Not to mention she was pretty cute. :)

Seriously, I'd like to see them try a show with her as a regular.

The young lady (Laura Zerra) on the Panama episode, could have her own show IMO, successfully used a fire drill/bow in a tropical location, hand made lobster trap that caught 2 lobsters, treated medical condition with local plants, field dressed small Camian with a sliver of broken glass, all while dealing with a survival "expert" that was scared of his own shadow.

Wow guess I missed that show, hope to see it sounds like it was the best one by far.

I saw that and agree she did well, but why not make more than one trap ?
they guy was being safe and prudent by avoiding unneded risks, but they portrayed it as being a pussy

Re water purification in episode 3, where thy had a large amount of plastic water bottles, filling them and keeping them in the sunhas shown to be effective.
Why wouldn't' you do at least that? buddy drank direct from his murky well, that's just silly

They show 1.5 hours out of 3 weeks, there must be lots more we could see.

I cant believe he didn't take out the snake, with a staff and machete that should have been doable. But he did seem a bit afraid of everything.
What's your take on his choice of survival gear-GOOGLES! I'm thinking firesteel would have been the way to go.

They might have to rename the song after a country music song title, "Naked and Crying" :)

Just marathoned 4 episodes tonight, it's an interesting show for sure. The ladies have defenitely been the ones holding the teams together, except for the Africa episode, that guy seemed to be quite upbeat and mentally tough. Favorite so far has got to be the small girl from Episode 3, she really had her stuff together and was super handy at weaving those palms leaves into useful tools.

In my opinion 1 hour isn't enough to really portray the amount of time that is passing. Les made it work with Survivorman and 7 days of survival, but 21 days is a long time... and it seems to be compressed down to arguing, complaining, and then success. It feels like it could have been 5-6 days.

On the Island episode they were so eager to start they definitely made a mistake setting out across the water right away (and with no improvised extra flotation?). In hindsight I imagine they would have been better off waiting till first light the next morning, so they could avoid the extreme sunburn and still have daylight when they get to the other side.

what a cheesy show. Designed to draw viewers with whole naked thing. What is surprising there is enough of ex military who sign up for it (both complete failures BTW).
so fur I liked the butt on the Hawaiian chick besides if it would not be for her the army dude would be dead LOL

blade and firesteel and blade and metal container (assuming you can get fire with other means which was not the case with army instructor in Africa)) are the best combos.

and that fatso with goggles was a joke - ohh I am afraid of bats, sharks, spiders and snakes (could have killed some pythons for dinner)

Breaking Borneo episode, I don't know if I can manage a woman 6'4 tall:p

It's a shame that the man end up on the hospital and the woman giving up later:eek:

Back