Naked and Afraid on Discovery

Breaking Borneo episode, I don't know if I can manage a woman 6'4 tall:p

It's a shame that the man end up on the hospital and the woman giving up later:eek:

And did you see the size of her ---? not only tall but a healthy women to boot. I watched the 3rd show last night as well and that young lady was cute and pretty smart on survival too! I would love to be lost on an Island with her for a few months. She could show me how to make lobster traps. LOL! All in all I have enjoyed all the shows thus far for different reasons. I thought it was funny when the guy named Puma said he was a bad A-- and then nature took over. Last thing I want to say is I wish they could have more survival ltems, then more techniques could be shown. Maybe we need a Naked and afraid Survial kit thread, what would you bring?

Sorry but i thought it was funny that the "survival item" the guy in episode three brought was goggles and he was petrified of the water!! Wouldn't even stay out there with her. He was scared of everything. NO WAY would I take any wilderness survival course from him. And they RAISED his survival score aft leaving the island......unbelievable. Biggest mistake I thought she made was not coating herself with mudd to keep those gnats off. Otherwise she was a heck of an asset for whiny butt guy.

I thought it was funny when the guy named Puma said he was a bad A--

LOL, yeah, that just reinforced a long standing opinion of mine, that those that feel a need to tell people how "bad a$$" they are.......rarely are.

I'll give that girl credit, in the body conscience world that the media builds for women, it took guts for her to do that show. Hated to see her quit early, but at least she tried.

LOL, yeah, that just reinforced a long standing opinion of mine, that those that feel a need to tell people how "bad a$$" they are.......rarely are.

I'll give that girl credit, in the body conscience world that the media builds for women, it took guts for her to do that show. Hated to see her quit early, but at least she tried.

Yeah it definitely took guts. I was hoping she'd make it through, but losing her partner halfway in or whatever it was made it way more difficult. They never secured a steady food source and with her partner gone I see why she quit.

I have not watched the show, and won't watch it. One reaches a point in his life when he chooses to no longer participate in the decline of civilization.

I have not watched the show, and won't watch it. One reaches a point in his life when he chooses to no longer participate in the decline of civilization.

A noble thing to do. If this country would have more people with solid values and clear minds we would not tolerate the constant degeneracy (ie naked & afraid) and perpetual mindless sensationalism (ie all of the TV sports) to divert from the real issues that matter.

Amen.
beerchuge.gif

There's a lot more "survival" to be learned by unplugging than by watching that contrived drama.

I will say that "Puma" was the most positive and encouraging male so far. While they didn't "survive" in my mind they did the best. The other guys acted more like little boys.

Agree 100%

Never heard of the show till this morning when a coworker showed me it online. It made me think of Robert Bork's book "Slouching Towards Gomorrah"

Here is an interesting factoid

Tom Corley in his book "Rich Habits" Relates that:

6% of wealthy watch reality TV vs. 78% for poor

I don't recall anything about internet forums though ..

can they just adjust to two things to bring with? (mainly because it seems like a lot of their problems is not having footwear and fire.)

I believe the general consensus was that we wanted to see a survival show where "survival experts" were dropped off in the wilderness for a length of time to see if they would thrive and actually survive. This show missed the mark with the lack of clothes and gear.

The show would have been much better imho if they would have allowed clothes and a maximum of 5 pieces of gear. Perhaps they could prohibit firearms to keep things more interesting from a hunting perspective. 21 days is plenty of time to see if the team would actually survive. It would have made for a better show.

i think a lot of people are underestimating how tiring it is to gather and process firewood. from most of the episodes i've seen, its the guys who do most of the physical chores (even the dude who brought goggles). it's not a sexy bushcraft skill, but it drains you.
i also thought it was funny in the borneo episode, the tall girl made such a big deal about puma letting the fire go out, and later on she does it herself. however, those 2 seemed to have the best chemistry, sucked that he drank the untreated water and had to go out like that.

While this is a TV show, it does show the stark realities of what happens to people who survive a crash or sinking and have nothing with them once they reach land.

Yeah, I agree. Anybody who's watching the show can see how exhausted they are getting constantly chopping firewood. They seem to have enough energy at first to build their shelter pretty well, but then hunger sets in and they use up the last of their calories chopping wood until they can barely move. Julie talked about that near the end when she let her fire go out and she was almost ready to quit. She was just worn down. I think none of the pairs have been able to get enough calories to survive if they stayed longer. Maybe they should change the name of the show to "Naked and Slowly Starving".

That's why I keep saying a real field cleanable water filter, built for extended use on long backpacking trips (not a cheap filter straw) is a much better choice than a cook pot. No firewood required. For the island episodes, a handheld desalinator would work. Clean water: DONE

I agree, then the fire would only be needed for additional warmth or cooking meat. I wonder what the restrictions are on the items they can have. The show's producers might not allow a water purifier. Having clean water from the get go without having to boil it would be awesome and it would have prevented the 2 or 3 people from getting sick on contaminated water.

A quality water filter, chopping tool, and firestarter ( many to choose from ) would change the entire show.

Chopping firewood is a waste of effort and shows their ignorance. Unless the fire is "inside" of their shelter then why bother chopping anything. The first episode they burn their shelter down due to wet conditions and the need to have the fire inside their shelter. The poor design of the shelter , not enough room for a fire, caused this issue. I just see tons of wasted effort on the show. Granted you only see small pieces of a few days, but it defines how the "experts" think. Clearly they are not experts just people who have been through a power point presentation. Most seemed very ill prepared and put little thought into why they would take a course of action.

Put a 50 yr old Amish guy on the show. Then it would be interesting.

Having seen five episodes now I can say I didn't see a single outbreak of anything I'd consider a skill. I saw a bunch of whining losers ignoring food, throwing food away, throwing bait away, drinking bad water, cutting themselves on their own tools, confused by friction fire, letting fires go out, and on and on. About the only good thing was some of them didn't atrophy as fast as others. Over all the woman on episode #3 came across best, not because of skill but because she possessed gumption. All up it comes as a relief that the women did better than the men. Had it been the other way round I can imagine more than a few bigots drawing faulty sex based conclusions.

Back