1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Nasal sebum

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by onekerf, Jul 28, 2019.

1. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Anyone ever use it for blade lubricant/corrosion protection? When afield it would seem to be an ideal substitute for commercially formulated products. It's also an unobtrusive, non-toxic, and involuntarily EDC'd item that's never left behind.

2. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    No. There's likely a lot of salts on the surface of one's skin as well as oil.

onekerf likes this.
  3. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Is this one of those "I had too much to drink" posts?

User27 and ScooterG like this.
  4. Deinos

Deinos Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2016
    Was expecting this to be forum spam for a netty pot ad...

willc, FortyTwoBlades, Pomsbz and 4 others like this.
  5. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I’m amazed this thread made it to two hours old without several posts suggesting the use of different bodily secretions for blade maintenance purposes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    User27 and ScooterG like this.
  6. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Fentanyl

Lapedog likes this.
  7. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Feces would probably serve as a much better lubricant. It will quickly lose its viscosity as it dries though. Lol!!!

8. onekerf

Feb 5, 2008
    Nope, this is a practical, don't knock it if ya ain't tried it post.

At work I had a foreman who used an employee fingerprint ID time clock. Sometimes the scanner wouldn't read your print. We found out that a little swipe of the finger pad along your nose picked up the oil and would allow the device to read your print. I think I'll try it on a piece of carbon steel to see if it works.

9. onekerf

Feb 5, 2008
    In again before the lock...

10. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    This thread got me to thinking. o_O I wonder if urine would put a good patina on my GB2.:)

User27 and onekerf like this.
  11. tltt

tltt

May 1, 2008
    Ed Fowler once wrote about using it if you were really stuck in a bind in the field, and needed something. The salt content always gave me pause, but he wrote like he seemed to have good luck with it :shrug: .

Shorttime and onekerf like this.
  12. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    Sorry, I was just kidding.

13. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    I've used nose grease plenty times to remove sticky residue from a blade after cutting packaging. Works very well.

onekerf likes this.
  14. onekerf

Feb 5, 2008
    No offense taken here, Edge. The forum is about enjoying the hobby, giving and getting information, and above all IMO, having fun.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  15. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    No food prep on THAT blade!

onekerf likes this.
  16. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    Going along with the thread...….I once knew a pro level Bass player that was into the heavy fast stuff. He said that his index and middle fingers would get dry and blister after really long sessions. He told me that someone suggested to him to run his finger tips along the sides of his nose for oil lubrication. He admitted to doing it once in a while, and it worked to prevent blisters.
    As far as knife blades go? Idk. Your mileage may vary.

Krav and onekerf like this.
  17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek: I've got some super high viscosity premium earwax , but it's heavily guarded by boar bristles . :p

onekerf likes this.
  18. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    just like spit it wont last very long , its also gonna leave behind some visible residue of that stuff..eww.:poop:

onekerf likes this.
  19. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Rhinovirus
    Influenza
    Meningococcus
    Staph & Strep species

Pfft! Microspheres are nothing in comparison! Take that Nano-oil!

20. Mistman68

Mistman68 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2019
    I know some photographers who use it to clean negatives.

onekerf likes this.