Nasal sebum

onekerf

Gold Member
Anyone ever use it for blade lubricant/corrosion protection? When afield it would seem to be an ideal substitute for commercially formulated products. It's also an unobtrusive, non-toxic, and involuntarily EDC'd item that's never left behind.

Anyone ever use it for blade lubricant/corrosion protection? When afield it would seem to be an ideal substitute for commercially formulated products. It's also an unobtrusive, non-toxic, and involuntarily EDC'd item that's never left behind.
No. There's likely a lot of salts on the surface of one's skin as well as oil.

I’m amazed this thread made it to two hours old without several posts suggesting the use of different bodily secretions for blade maintenance purposes.

Last edited:
Feces would probably serve as a much better lubricant. It will quickly lose its viscosity as it dries though. Lol!!!

Is this one of those "I had too much to drink" posts?

Nope, this is a practical, don't knock it if ya ain't tried it post.

At work I had a foreman who used an employee fingerprint ID time clock. Sometimes the scanner wouldn't read your print. We found out that a little swipe of the finger pad along your nose picked up the oil and would allow the device to read your print. I think I'll try it on a piece of carbon steel to see if it works.

Ed Fowler once wrote about using it if you were really stuck in a bind in the field, and needed something. The salt content always gave me pause, but he wrote like he seemed to have good luck with it :shrug: .

I've used nose grease plenty times to remove sticky residue from a blade after cutting packaging. Works very well.

Going along with the thread...….I once knew a pro level Bass player that was into the heavy fast stuff. He said that his index and middle fingers would get dry and blister after really long sessions. He told me that someone suggested to him to run his finger tips along the sides of his nose for oil lubrication. He admitted to doing it once in a while, and it worked to prevent blisters.
As far as knife blades go? Idk. Your mileage may vary.

:eek: I've got some super high viscosity premium earwax , but it's heavily guarded by boar bristles . :p

I’m amazed this thread made it to two hours old without several posts suggesting the use of different bodily secretions for blade maintenance purposes.

just like spit it wont last very long , its also gonna leave behind some visible residue of that stuff..eww.:poop:

Rhinovirus
Influenza
Meningococcus
Staph & Strep species

Pfft! Microspheres are nothing in comparison! Take that Nano-oil!

Back