Nasal sebum

Apparently it is the only body secretion that can be used on blades. I don’t know how true it is or if its an urban legend.

I know what gorilla snot is but is nasal sebum just post nasal drip or the oil off of your nose?

Around here there are some natural oils afield that I’d rather use and short term till I get back to the house it will do. Otherwise I use some good food grade stuff to lube and protect.

Nope, this is a practical, don't knock it if ya ain't tried it post.

At work I had a foreman who used an employee fingerprint ID time clock. Sometimes the scanner wouldn't read your print. We found out that a little swipe of the finger pad along your nose picked up the oil and would allow the device to read your print. I think I'll try it on a piece of carbon steel to see if it works.

ABS Master Smith Ed Fowler recommended this technique for years.

Reactions: MVF
Engravers have been using it as a burnishing lubricant for centuries, I believe watchmakers as well.

Ok I get that it can be used, I just can't ever see myself out in the field thinking, "gosh, my folder isn't so smooth, let me disassemble it and rub my nose on it real quick"

Using the oil at the corner of your nose has been used for two piece fishing rods for years. keeps the rod from sticking when you pull them apart at the end of the day.

Ok, here's the triple for Ed Fowler. I used it on an Ed Fowler knife based on his advice. Seemed to work great, had the knife about a year.

Back