Recommendation? Native 5 LW vs Manix 2 LW (consensus reached, pics added)

Help me decide!

I have owned some Spyderco knives over the past several years, but only the generic Enduras and a Dragonfly. I'd like to get into one of the Golden, CO Spydies and the lightweight versions are especially attractive to me.

Here's the dilemma: I like both the Native 5 LW and the Manix 2 LW, and can't decide between the two. I'm going to break down my opinions here and hopefully draw on the experience of the Spydie crowd to help make my decision.

Criteria:
Asethetics - Native wins. I find the blade shape to be much more pleasing and the handle shape to look more organic.
Value - Draw. Similar prices and identical materials. I'm looking at the 110V versions of both.
Maintenance - From what I can tell, the Native can be fully disassembled while the Manix is pinned. Edge to the Native.
Lock and deployment - Huge edge to the Manix. Ball bearing lock is both functional and fun. Back lock is less fun and less nice to use. Manix deploys quicker for sure.
Carry - Native gets this one. It's a smaller knife that has better dimensions in the pocket.
Ergos - Manix wins. It's less comfortable in the pocket, but more comfortable in the hand. Those criteria are often inversely related.
Blade - Not sure. They both appear to be sufficiently thin with high enough grinds to be great cutters.

In the end, it's mixed. In one way, I'm leaning towards the Manix mostly because of the ball bearing lock. In another, I'm leaning towards the Native for ease of carry and asethetics.

Help me make up my mind! What do you all suggest?

The Native Lightweight has a slight forward balance when gripped on the handle (without choil). Manix 2 has a more neutral balance.
I agree that the Manix 2 is wide in the pocket but I prefer the wire clip in this comparison because the Native's clip leaves a lot of handle exposed.
You said S110V but you might also consider the new LC200N Native Lightweight that is expected this fall.

The Native Lightweight has a slight forward balance when gripped on the handle (without choil). Manix 2 has a more neutral balance.
I agree that the Manix 2 is wide in the pocket but I prefer the wire clip in this comparison because the Native's clip leaves a lot of handle exposed.
You said S110V but you might also consider the new LC200N Native Lightweight that is expected this fall.

Thanks! Good points. I do prefer the wire clip, but not by a huge margin. Is the carry of the Manix a lot deeper? Its hard to tell, because I haven't had either in pocket.

It carries a bit deeper but the Native clip also stands out more because of the wide screw design; the clip holes don't match the standard Spyderco clip.

You actually broke it down so well that I do not have much to add. How do you feel about thumb ramps? I like a full ramp or no ramp and the half ramp on the Manix is a little odd for me.

The difference in blade length is really not that much. 3" vs 3.37" yet the Native packs it into a far smaller package when closed. The Native carries very well.

hzWTgUkh.jpg

You actually broke it down so well that I do not have much to add. How do you feel about thumb ramps? I like a full ramp or no ramp and the half ramp on the Manix is a little odd for me.

The difference in blade length is really not that much. 3" vs 3.37" yet the Native packs it into a far smaller package when closed. The Native carries very well.

hzWTgUkh.jpg

In general, I do not like thumb ramps. However, I don't really put my thumb on the spine when I use knives, so from a use standpoint it doesn't matter. Its a visual thing, mostly. That's one reason that I like the Native aesthetics better.

The small package of the folded Native is definitely the best selling point of that model. It's the reason that my decision is so complicated. Otherwise, I would just choose the Manix for the locking system.

It's a toss up for me. I enjoy owning and using both!

You give a "huge edge to the Manix" in the lock and deployment category. I won't deny that the CBBL on the Manix is a great locking mechanism. But, as far as back locks go, the Native is at the top of the pile.
You mention that the "Manix deploys quicker for sure". I think any difference in deployment speed is negligible. Yeah I can easily Spydie flick a Manix open, but consider the time it takes to draw the knife, find the hole with your middle finger (or thumb, etc), and flick it open, (or draw the knife, locate the lock tabs and pull them back and swing the blade out). You can draw either knife with your thumb on (or very near) the hole and roll the blade out just as fast or maybe even faster. Deployment speed, or even ease of deployment, is not something I'm concerned with for either of these knives.

Sharp guy, I think he is mostly taking the fun factor into account. The native isn't the best knife for armchair flipping and the Manix, especially once the spring breaks in, is pretty good at it.

Own both and love both. The Native is definitely the easier knife to carry due to size/weight. Ergos are great on both. I think the Native is thinner behind the edge. Would definitely buy both of them again if they went missing.

My native5 is .035 right behind the edge and close to ricasso. Measured with a digital caliper. I have reprofiled it to 13 DPS.

I have 4 manix2's. All but the BD1 were .025 behind the edge. BD1 was .031. All have been reprofiled to 13 DPS.

It doesn't seem like much, but manix's taller grind makes makes it feel like a better slicer IMO.

It's a toss up for me. I enjoy owning and using both!

You give a "huge edge to the Manix" in the lock and deployment category. I won't deny that the CBBL on the Manix is a great locking mechanism. But, as far as back locks go, the Native is at the top of the pile.
You mention that the "Manix deploys quicker for sure". I think any difference in deployment speed is negligible. Yeah I can easily Spydie flick a Manix open, but consider the time it takes to draw the knife, find the hole with your middle finger (or thumb, etc), and flick it open, (or draw the knife, locate the lock tabs and pull them back and swing the blade out). You can draw either knife with your thumb on (or very near) the hole and roll the blade out just as fast or maybe even faster. Deployment speed, or even ease of deployment, is not something I'm concerned with for either of these knives.

Good points. I agree that deployment speed is barely a practical concern at all. I just enjoy opening and closing the Manix more.

My native5 is .035 right behind the edge and close to ricasso. Measured with a digital caliper. I have reprofiled it to 13 DPS.

I have 4 manix2's. All but the BD1 were .025 behind the edge. BD1 was .031. All have been reprofiled to 13 DPS.

It doesn't seem like much, but manix's taller grind makes makes it feel like a better slicer IMO.

Very good info to have. Thanks.

hzWTgUkh.jpg
Holy frig, are you burning already? I have yet to clean my chimney and take the coffee can lid out of the horizontal pipe before I light my Jotul up (the lid is to keep birds from entering the stove when they fall down the chimney).

Thanks! Good points. I do prefer the wire clip, but not by a huge margin. Is the carry of the Manix a lot deeper? Its hard to tell, because I haven't had either in pocket.
Just be aware the wire clip on the Manix 2 isn't a deep-carry. It doesn't fold over itself like the wire clips on most other Spyderco's.

I have both (well, the N5 is the cf one, but it's almost as lightweight and is linerless) and they are both great. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite. I think the M2 is more comfortable in general, but also with or without the choil. I find the native a bit unnatural without using the choil, but quite comfortable when using it.

I haven't brought myself to buy a Manix yet. But between these 2 Native all the way!

Holy frig, are you burning already? I have yet to clean my chimney and take the coffee can lid out of the horizontal pipe before I light my Jotul up (the lid is to keep birds from entering the stove when they fall down the chimney).

Ha, no sir. I live in one of the colder parts of the US and we aren't even close to burning. It has been crazy hot here lately. This is a pic from last year.

I love this little Jotul. I have a forced air wood furnace in the basement but I fire this little guy up in the spring and fall when it isn't cold enough yet for the big furnace. They make great stoves!

I always viewed the native as a mini manix. Different locks but same shapes and lines. Both have a place in a collection.

Should have a normal g10 manix 2 to go with a lightweight for the full manix experience.

Good replies here. I'll just add that you can deep carry clip for the Native for ~$20. Makes a big difference for me. Still not the wire clip. I like the Manix better in every way except one: too large for me to comfortably EDC. I have a few Natives because of how well they carry. I have one Manix and I rarely carry it.
I always viewed the native as a mini manix. Different locks but same shapes and lines.
I used to think the same thing. I recently got a Sage 3. This is the mini Manix. If Spyderco could make it about ~3mm less tall when closed it would go to the top of my rotation and stay there. (Would really like to see more bolt action locks. I recall Sal saying this one didn't fly off the shelves. Assume that makes of more of them unlikely.)

Back