Recommendation? Native 5 LW vs Manix 2 LW (consensus reached, pics added)

A prior post noted a much thicker edge a Native 5. I am merely pointing out that that thick edge is probably not the norm. Thinner edge is better in my opinion.

Thanks for all the input.

I think I have decided on the Manix. The only cons were the big footprint in pocket and the less than beautiful appearance. I have other small knives for good pocketability, so I can let that one go. I’m getting this as a utilitarian tool, so I can let the appearance slide too.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to acquire it as soon as I thought. On the fortunate side, the reason for the delay is that I had an offer I couldn’t refuse on the knife I had for sale. The funds from the sale were going to be used for the Manix, but I ended up trading instead. Now I have a Spydiechef on the way!

Native=office/warehouse
Manix= field/shop
Honestly get them both,I think they are both some excellent value knives that can be had on the exch. for ultra reasonable prices.
Myself ,I prefer the manix, on whittling wood its quite a bit more comfortable than the native,both of them after awhile just disappear in the pocket ,I always forget that I am carrying them ,cant really go wrong either way you choose.

I have a couple FRN Natives S30V/S35V. I like them, but they are a little too small for me. I prefer 3.5"-3.75" blades.

Get both, you said you owned some enduras to dragonflys. Might as well get one of each, you know it's bound to happen anyway:). My vote is Manix 2 LW first if you don't have a ball lock yet, then get the native since you'll be used to the lock back already.

I have a feeling that at some point you will end up with both ;)

JsQRdDG.jpg

You've done a good job listing your pros and cons for each. As I see it, you can take one of two approaches to your decision:

1) The practical approach - Determine what your practical needs are and buy accordingly. Do you need something small for the office? Then buy the Native. Do you need something bigger because you have big hands? Then buy the Manix...etc.

2) The fun approach - Both knives adequately satisfy your practical needs, so just buy the one that speaks to you the most.

I recommend the second approach. The fact that you've made a list of pros and cons yet are still undecided tells me that both options will work for you. If one was the clear winner from a practical standpoint, it would be evident by now.

So just get the knife that speaks to you more and don't look back.

You've done a good job listing your pros and cons for each. As I see it, you can take one of two approaches to your decision:

1) The practical approach - Determine what your practical needs are and buy accordingly. Do you need something small for the office? Then buy the Native. Do you need something bigger because you have big hands? Then buy the Manix...etc.

2) The fun approach - Both knives adequately satisfy your practical needs, so just buy the one that speaks to you the most.

I recommend the second approach. The fact that you've made a list of pros and cons yet are still undecided tells me that both options will work for you. If one was the clear winner from a practical standpoint, it would be evident by now.

So just get the knife that speaks to you more and don't look back.

Good breakdown. The one that speaks to me more is the Manix, so that’s the one.

Ergo’s were probably the most important of all your considerations. Once you break in the spydiechef you’ll be ready for the awesomeness of the manix2. And you’re gonna end up loving the shape, though it might seem less appealing to the eye(not that the native5 is bad).

Sorry for the delay, but here’s a picture of my Spydiechef. It arrived a couple weeks ago, and after a little bit of carry and use I am already smitten. Love this thing. It is an excellent slicer with some elegant and unique personality. You can see that the previous owner was a leftie, and there are some snail trails from the clip on the show side. It doesn't bother me, though. It's a user.

a1a5e5fd-cda8-4224-8bf0-4cd0029c7152-jpeg.601473

Then, to my surprise, this followed me home today from SMKW:

fb2fc99d-b02b-448e-be6c-a248c87341e6-jpeg.601474

Here they are together:

2225a7af-f52e-4dc0-aae9-d2649dbe7e3f-jpeg.601475

I'm loving the SBBL so far, and that particular blue hue really speaks to me. I'm quite content with this pair.

Here they are with their siblings, the whole Spydiepack!

2dd13028-a4fb-4bd0-a556-fb7a6e8f92d8-jpeg.601476

Sorry for the delay, but here’s a picture of my Spydiechef. It arrived a couple weeks ago, and after a little bit of carry and use I am already smitten. Love this thing. It is an excellent slicer with some elegant and unique personality. You can see that the previous owner was a leftie, and there are some snail trails from the clip on the show side. It doesn't bother me, though. It's a user.

a1a5e5fd-cda8-4224-8bf0-4cd0029c7152-jpeg.601473

Then, to my surprise, this followed me home today from SMKW:

fb2fc99d-b02b-448e-be6c-a248c87341e6-jpeg.601474

Here they are together:

2225a7af-f52e-4dc0-aae9-d2649dbe7e3f-jpeg.601475

I'm loving the SBBL so far, and that particular blue hue really speaks to me. I'm quite content with this pair.

Here they are with their siblings, the whole Spydiepack!

2dd13028-a4fb-4bd0-a556-fb7a6e8f92d8-jpeg.601476

Pics aren't working.

I always viewed the native as a mini manix. Different locks but same shapes and lines. Both have a place in a collection.

Should have a normal g10 manix 2 to go with a lightweight for the full manix experience.
I always viewed the native as a mini manix. Different locks but same shapes and lines. Both have a place in a collection.

Should have a normal g10 manix 2 to go with a lightweight for the full manix experience.

Agree with this . Both are great edc s.I carry the Manix2, but rarely the Native 5, because I find the larger blade takes care of a wider range of uses. Both are small enough for me to carry easily. The wire clips by Spyderco are great.

Back