Need A Knife to Take Care of My Mother-in-law

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I’m not trying to knock her off. She’s actually quite nice, honest! :eek:

Here’s the deal. She eats fruit every day, to help adjust her blood sugar. This happens when you get up there in the years. So she wants a knife to help her peal the fruit. It would preferably be something that folds, so she can keep it in her purse or pocket. Her hands aren’t as strong or steady as they once were, so I need a knife that’s super-easy to open and close, yet very safe to close on those shaky handed days.

Obviously, carbon steel is out on this one. So is bead blasting. :barf:

What do you think?

Buzzbait, how about that nice fruit knife @ AG Russell. ATS-34 blade, and either black or burgandy rucarta handle. Looks nice, good steel, folds, and has good size to it for apples, oranges etc...:)

A melon tester slip joint sounds like the ticket to me Buzz, nice and thin and not too long folded, it was made with cutting fruit and vegetables in mind after all.

Cheers!
James

Unfortunately, I don't think she's ever be able to open up a knife with just a nail nick. :( The fingernails just aren't what they used to be.

If you don't mind spending a little money, why don't you get your wife a Klotzli Michael Walker or Christian Wimpf (especially Wharncliffe)design? These carbon fiber scale knives are very thin and light, they open with thumb studs and their blade steel is 440c, a much more stain resistant steel than ATS-34. Another good knife might be an EKA President (available from World Knives). This knife is Sandvik 12C27, another very rust resistant steel. The EKA has the advantage of being under $30 including shipping.

I'd check out the Al Mar Hawk or Falcon (lockback, thumbstud, black micarta handles, 1/16" 8A blade). Seem like they would be perfect.

You could always give her a Mad Maxx. If she doesn't like it , you could take it off her hands. It'll also handle whole cantalopes.:D :D

Buzz - one word for you, bro - TALONITE!!! :D Dig into your pockets and come up with the dough to buy her a CUDA Talon ;)

How about a Copperlock or Russlock from Case. If fruit is all she's using it for would that hold up? The EO melon knife also sounds good.

One word. VG-10 Steel. :cool: The best steel at corrosion resitance to fruit juices. Maybe a new VG-10 Delica with a nice easy opening hole? :D

The first thing that comes to my mind is a Benchmade 940. The Axis lock is easy and safe to close as well as being easy to open. It also has a blade shape that seems well suited to the task, with a fairly straight edge, a narrow blade, and a razor-sharp hollow grind, all in quality stainless. That green aluminum handle is even one of the friendlier looking around.

--Bob Q

How about a simple kitchen paring knife? Some brands will come with a plastic or cardboard sleeve they use as a temporary sheath. You'll have to make a more permanent one for her...could be a fun project in itself.

Hey Buzz,
She might like the Benchmade Mini-Griptilian. Nice grippy handle, 2.9" modified sheepsfoot blade of 440C. Super easy to open, one handed or two, because of the big oval hole, yet will stay closed in her purse. Sturdy lock. Probably would want to remove the clip.

How about one of the WH Evolution series in VG-10? Great stainless steel, nice size, looks classy, thumbstud, easy to open and close, no bead blasting, and a nifty little carrying case. Oranges and apples run in fear when they see my WH coming :D.

- Mark

How about a stainless Opinel? Cheap, very light, reliable, no springs to deal with. The locking ring can be a bit snug on some but if she's careful she doesn't need to use the lock all the time.

Hoodoo has said he uses one daily for his fruit peeling and cutting.

...No? Ok, something from A.G. should do the trick...we just bought 'his n' hers' Spydie Jess Horn 'flat ground' lockbacks from A.G., sweet little knives...

but I think you could do better with a fixed blade...a Busse BM maybe... :eek:

Mel

(Just in case you should ever want to 'off' her instead...lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back