Need A Knife to Take Care of My Mother-in-law

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say either a BM 940 or a BM 550. Small and light, super easy to open and close and rock-soid lockup. The axis lock is easy to unlock and should be wasy to rinse out, and no fingers in the way of the blade like a liner lock or frame lock.

If she has trouble opening a blade with a nail knick I don't know how well her dexterity will be to use a thumb stud. Get her an auto! That is only half joking though. If you can find one that is an auto with not too stiff of a spring to close might think about that. Imagine the looks she will get when sitting down to peel some fruit!

:D

I have this mental image in my head now of grandma sitting down at the blue hair brigade bridge game and while they are dealing the cards she carefully takes out her apple, then SNICK the auto fires and she starts peeling!!!

Why not a small fixed blade....fruitjuice and folders....not a good combination...and there is nothing to fuble with..

Since you specified folder... On the custom market I'd suggest a Tom Mayo small or medium TNT. On the production lines I'd suggest a Benchmade 770, Chris Reeve Umfaan or Small Sebenza, or a Camillus EDC.

I'm with Dex on the fixed blade though... A Camillus Talon or mini-talon would be great. Perhaps go Custom and get Neil Blackwood to make her something in S30V.

Perhaps something as simple as an opinel folder would work.

The sky's the limit if you have enough money to prop it up with!

they even sell custom sheaths for them.

they hold an edge like crazy and the sheath is really good.

if she loses it no problem.

fisherman use them on the boats cut nets everything.

let us know what you get!

What about Buzz, where is he anyway? Maybe with a title like "Need A Knife to Take Care of My Mother-in-law" he doesn't need it any more, think about it! :eek: LOL hehe

James

Buzz

Wouldn't fruit juice and pulp gum up the pivit area on a folder? And if she washes it every time, won't it need a lot of lubrication in the same area? Why not let her try your Mini-Talon? If she likes it, you've got the answer to a perfect Birthday or Christmas gift. Personally I keep an A.G.Russell Woodswalker in the leather sheath in my desk and use it everyday to peel fruit. It doesn't hold an edge like Talonite, but until I save enough to go the Mini-Talonite route myself, the Woodswalker is what I'm sticking with. BTW I ahve a full size Talonite (a little too large and costly to keep in my desk drawer), and I have the Talonite EDC, but again, I don't want to gum up the pivot area. Let us know what you finally decide on.

Ken

Man. . .she's one of our a fine elderly citizens ~ you can't get her a folder or auto. :rolleyes:

You have to get her a small fixed blade. There are plenty of small paring, picnic and fruit knives on the market. . .or you could have a custom made. Keep in mind. . .most "fruit knives" come with 4.5" blades.

Here are a few. . .

http://www.sharpknives.com/messermeister_park_plaza_garnish.htm my #1 choice

http://www.happycookers.com/wc.dll/products/divulge/1-1103.html

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-ProductSpec?MM900181

http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=4292

http://www.cookswares.com/individual.asp?n=4823

http://www.eaglemountainknife.com/ParingKnives.htm

Hey guys melon testers are not real good for peeling fruit, especially for some one with a little arthritis in her hands. Too much dangerous blade that might cause problems. They are designed to go deep into a melon and bring out a sample, hence the name melon TESTER. I'd second Melvin's suggestion of a Jess Horn lightweight from Spyderco. Another option would be the A.G. Russell Woodswalker in the hip pocket sheath. I wouldn't recommend the Kydexsheathas it might be a little tight for someone with weak hands.

phantom4

Many thanks to everyone for their excellent knife suggestions. Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier, but work got way out of control. I haven’t had much quality knife time the last few days.

Anyways, with a few days to think over the options, I decided on a fixed blade. I know she wants a folder for convenience, but I’m just a little hesitant of the idea. The Griptilian was a tough choice to pass up though, as was the fruit tester. Shaky hands and folders don’t mix well together, if you ask me. So I went with the A.G. Russell Woodswalker. I’ve been eying this knife or a long myself, so I’m sure she’ll love it. It’s a classy looking small blade. The Woodswalker should be a little more like what she’s used to, given its almost paring knife shape. I did the leather sheath option, justs because it looks classy.

This is what I like to see; a whole family of knifenuts. My wife has tons of her own knives, my father-in-law has his stash, and now the mother-in-law will have one of her own. Life is very good. :)

I use my woodswalker as a paring knife and it works very well.

If she doesn't use the leather sheath you can use it wlth your marbles mini-caper.;)

Ben

I obviously don't have as much experience as most here, but I faced similar problems when I joined this group. My choice would be one of the Spydercos that have a prominent "Spydie-hole". I was at the point that I couldn't reliably open my Ken Onion Leek flipper, and couldn't keep it sharp either. The recommendation of a Delica was a good one, I think, but larger knives are easier to manipulate for someone with hand problems. Pick your steel, but I've found that neither K390 nor Cruwear corrode easily if you just rinse and dry them after cutting fruit and the Cruwear is much easier to re-sharpen. The tried-and-true Endura in K390 or Cruwear would be a good choice for slicing, I think, along with a simple to use sharpener like Spyderco's Tri-Angle sharpener. I can put a near-straight razor edge on either steel despite the tension tremors (mostly in my hands).

From a practical standpoint a peeler with a custom sheath or slip would be better in every way than a knife with the exception of starting an orange. Safer to use, easier to hold (Oxo), and no worries a about accidentally going someplace where knives aren't allowed (government buildings, schools, etc). It's not a sexy "knife guy" gift, but it's very practical and more importantly very safe compared to freehand peeling fruit with a pocket knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back