Need advice and/or opinions on a good Khukuri for a Security gig in Afghanistan

Just found out today, that my younger brother will be working another private security gig in Afghanistan, :( (at least he's working) His position is more management, rather than patrol, I want to surprise him with a HI Khukuri to take along, but which one? :confused:
I have about a month to acquire and deliver :)
A "Pre-Thanks" to everyone here, who undoubtedly have much more experience in choosing than myself :rolleyes:

A 15"-18" AK, CAK, WWII, BAS or M-43 would be just the ticket.
It all depends on what you think he will like, and suit his needs best.
All are battle tested designs, most if not all have seen some service in the sandbox already. Any of them should be suitable to his needs. I have heard that these curved blades are more feared than a pistol over there.

Karda,
Thanks for the quick reply, I was thinking similar choices, and I have an M43 and a BAS. One problem... this HIKV has a several symptoms, one of which is a feeling of hoarding :eek:, I have also noticed a great desire to share these with other people, but when they ask where I found them, I become forgetful-can't have too many sharks in the feeding ground :D :eek:.
Actually I have told several folks where to look, but haven't seen any of them swimming around here...:rolleyes:

Karda,
Funny thing about the "pistol" reference, My brother indicated that last time he was in Iraq, the "pistol" carried more influence than the AK47, something about the old regime..not too many of Saddam's armed forces carried pistols, and when it was drawn, it meant serious bad business was about to occur.

:thumbup: Karma is a good thing.
Make him a gift of one of yours, or buy him one.
If you don't see your friends here, you obviously arent spreading the HIKV thick enough. :thumbup::D

Well if you're intending for him to take it along (and, heaven forbid, potentially have to defend himself with it) I would say 12-15" in length - that's the size gurkhas carry and you have to take into account that those kukris are generally a good bit less thick/heavy than HI ones (closer to 1/4" thick vs 3/8"-1/2"). 18" HI kukris tend to be upwards of 2lbs and that sort of weight greatly hinders swing recovery, maneuverability and finesse. For chopping wood, it's a great trade-off for the harder hit and deeper bite, but in a martial context where the target and yourself probably aren't static, it's a horrendous one.

As for the model, I would recommend a WWII, BAS or Sirupate. The m43 would be great as well, but I haven't seen any of those in less than 18".

I might be a bit biased, but the 12" Ang Khola works very well. You say that his position is more management-based; perhaps one of the smaller khukuris would allow for easier portability and storage without sacrificing too much chopping power.

The 16.5inch WWII can be found in lighter weights if you look around.

Good luck to you and your brother. :thumbup:

Tamang. They don't have the chakmak and karda to mess with and the rig is a lot more combat carry friendly. They aren't as curved as some of the others are but are much lighter and faster blades to fight with should it come to this... read the Tamang story Yangdu posted about the knife when it was first offered. ;)

There are my two cents.

Of the "classic" blades, the 16.5" WWII is a real workhorse/weapon. Light enough to pack but still has good bit of wallop to it.

I like Warty's idea as well. I've been eying the Tamang for a good while. I'd also say the new ASTK would be well worth looking at. Mine's a beast!

All the above recommendations are good ones:thumbup:. The HI forum is once again giving you good advice considering size/weight ratio and task ability. I also like Karda's advice of gifting one that you own already-although that can be rough sometimes.

m2c-Gelbu Special. When asked what model he would recommend for the Gorkhas to carry, Pala (Kami Sherpa) answered the Gelbu Special. After receiving one it has become one of my personal favorites. 18", 7/16" spine and weighing in at just over 23oz and Sher (T) made it. Feels like an extension of my arm, solid enough for good chopping and easily maneuverable.

It is a loving gesture to want to do this for your brother. The desk jockeys don't know what they'll run into one day to the next and a little extra can't hurt. Whatever your choice, I'm sure he'll enjoy his khuk and appreciate your thoughtfulness. Best to you both.

Rick

Just my 2cents worth. I would go with the chitlangi Its easy to handle and ferice looking.
This also appears to be the kukri which the Gurkha presented to Prince Harry while he
was serving in Afganastine.
Jim

Kobra, Sirupate, Tamang. Lighter weight per inch of length = quicker. 12 - 15 inches. Probably won't be chopping too much wood in the sand. Been there.

You might check with a local leather worker and see about getting a QD sheath made. Probably get a good deal for someone serving.

Kev

I'd take a Sirupate myself. Around 15" - 16". I'm still waiting for my 20" Kobra myself, but I have a 15" Khukuri House khuk next to me, and that's what I'd take, although I have lighter and faster blades that I'd pick first.

I wish Sarge was still around. IIRC he outfitted a lot of soldiers with khuks but I can't remember about what models were deemed best.

Tamang. They don't have the chakmak and karda to mess with and the rig is a lot more combat carry friendly. They aren't as curved as some of the others are but are much lighter and faster blades to fight with should it come to this... read the Tamang story Yangdu posted about the knife when it was first offered. ;)

There are my two cents.

plus one..plenty tough and fast...:thumbup:

For someone unfamiliar with the feel of a kukri: pick either the Ultimate Fighter (around 14-15" and about 1.5 pounds) or the Tamang. If one knows standard knife-fighting, then these two will work fine in combat immediately because they are not as front-heavy and are good stabbers. Not to mention they are light enough (especially the Tamang!) to carry around without trouble.

If one is well versed in kukri fighting and is not particularly short or weak, I would go for a 16" to 18" Chitlangi--the best balance between weight and firepower in my opinion. If one is a big, tough guy, then 21" might be even better, but then you may sacrifice unnecessarily speed and it might be uncomfortable to carry on your LBE.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their support and input....
My brother is "Marine Corp Recon" trained, and a Certified Weapons Instructor, his duties will mostly be training, weapon inventory and repair, logistics for field personnel. The last time he did this private security stuff, his biggest threat was an on-slot of "weapons crates" :), his facility was invades by several hundred, and after many were re-trained/converted to tables, bookshelves, storage lockers, target stands, etc, the remaining were transformed into a Middle East "Burning Man" event (Google it if your not familiar with "Burning Man"...not my cup of tea, but each to his own :eek:)

Up for possible choices, I have in my small collection (all HI's):
18" M43
16" BAS
15" Chitlangi
12" WWII
For myself the The Chitlangi "feels" the best.
Side note on "feel"...It has been my experience with Khuk's that they have all felt really good, hard to find just one :), Is just me, or does anyone else feel a strange aurora when handling a Khukuri? espeally the HI Khuk.... I’ve held many items from firearms, knives, sports cars, etc, that felt good in the hand, but the HI Khukuri’s seems to have an almost spiritual "feel" to them. It has to be more than just the red wine I'm usually comsuming, I’m sure….:D

On the DOTD, you'll be hearing this for the next fews weeks:
http://www.entertonement.com/clips/vmrpmhwpmq--Jaws-Theme-Song....lol....:eek::D

Thanks
Greg

So no Tamang in the running?

Too bad, it really is a nice choice for this duty but I don't think this is known until you handle one.

I don't know the man, you do. :) Get him what you think he will like best.
I am sure he will like it just fine and I am equally sure he will get use from it.

Back