Need advice and/or opinions on a good Khukuri for a Security gig in Afghanistan

How about one of these monsters! strapped across the back in a Conan type rig!
main.php

Just thought I would add some levity to a thread that seems to have gotten a bit too serious.

Even for a larger person, 18" is too large and unnecessary for a carry size IMO. That length/weight of knife is simply going to trade off far too much in utility, portability, and ease of use for it's heavier chop (something that isn't necessary and also something that a 12-15" will still perform more than adequately).

Speak for yourself. Anything shorter than 19" is too short for me. I like the extra length for reach and have no problem carrying one of my 20"+ khukris in the woods all day long.

If I were going to carry the suggested smaller blade, I wouldn't even bother with a mini-khuk and would opt for a KaBar instead.

Speak for yourself. Anything shorter than 19" is too short for me. I like the extra length for reach and have no problem carrying one of my 20"+ khukris in the woods all day long.

If I were going to carry the suggested smaller blade, I wouldn't even bother with a mini-khuk and would opt for a KaBar instead.

I generally strap an 18" Vojpure or m43 on my pack if I'm going out into the woods to hack trees and such, where trading off swing recovery and such isn't a big deal - what I'm saying is that the situation and intended application doesn't call for one that size. For his brother's needs, I would think that one would want more focus on portability, accessibility, finesse and utility than in reach and chopping power as it's quite unlikely that he'll be needing to hack down trees in the desert. But hey... to each their own I guess.

How about one of these monsters! strapped across the back in a Conan type rig!

Just thought I would add some levity to a thread that seems to have gotten a bit too serious.[/QUOTE]
Agreed... this thread has gotten too SRS.

Last edited:
I for one, was thinking mostly of utility for my recommendation, not self defense, unless you consider intimidation by khukuri a defense.
12"-15" would be best suited to both needs, if you are a larger person an 18" might also suffice. Anything larger is unecessary. IIRC, Sarge (Sylvrflcn) carried a 12" knukuri and found it to suit his needs well. Personally i would use a 15" Ang Khola so that i had a khukuri suitable for any situation.

Yup.

I also have the 12in Pen he carried on his first tour.

Astan ain't a knife fight.

Best of luck to him.

As a general backup or for close quarters fighting - 18" Sirupati.
It has enough heft to do some serious damage. Still easily packable and not too heavy.

Just one recommendation, given that using a knife for self defense is a bit unrealistic when everyone and their grandma has an AK-47. I'd recommend one with one of the Eastern Nepali (I believe?) style scabbards, without a frog (or remove the frog from a normal one), and wear it tucked into his belt, right side front (like appendix carry), with the edge pointing to the right side. Not very fast to draw from that position at all, but worn that way, it looks almost identical to a very popular style if knife in the Middle East (except huge, even a 12" khukuri would be enormous by their standards).

Like I said, slower to draw, but it would prevent the locals from seeing it and going "what a stupid American, he doesn't even know how to wear a knife!", since they wouldn't know it's a completely different style from what they're used to (the shape of the scabbards are very, very similar).

Wow...had no idea that this post would generate so much discussion, Thanks to all for their comments/suggestions, has become an interesting read. :thumbup:

Had a chance to discuss more detail of my brother's detail....Apparently there is a private Company (small aircraft and Helios) that performs numerous delivery tasks though out a portion of Afghanistan, kinda of an "Air America" outfit. The pilots have no means of protecting themselves, (minor incident of a downed craft revealed a need for self protection, fortunately no one hurt.)

My brothers responsibility will be training pilots in firearm proficiently, create a transportable weapons system for the crews, weapons inventory, logistics, repair, etc. He will be traveling between multiple airbases, some small, some large....

His knife usage will be 99% utility, however entertaining it might be to think there will be a need to defend against a hoard of zombies :eek:, his chances of actual knife usage for defense is rare, perhaps the closest thing maybe a "Crocodile Dundee" moment"... "that's not a knife..this is a knife" :cool: aka..Karda's: "unless you consider intimidation by khukuri a defense."

Now for the current choice: Given the current financial status of my wallet, it will have to be chosen from my current collection, unless a great DOTD appears :D.
I have a 16" BAS with a very loose scabbard, I have invested some time and Khuk dollars :rolleyes: in a setup to construct Kydex sheaths. I have some desert digital Kydex on the way and a few ideas on a slimmer layout. Perhaps add some para cord decorations.

Sorry Warty....the Tamang was in close contention, but it will just have to be happy residing in the "list" for now, but close to the top :). Although the "big one" in a back scabbard has a certain appeal too...;)

Thanks again for everyone's input...Stayed tuned for a photo shoot of the Khukuri-Kydex Fighter/Surviver rig...;) (it'll be a few weeks, I'm as busy as a one-legged man in butt kick'in contest these days..:) )

No worries, if I understand one thing, it is being poor. Tamangs are not the cheapest of the HI offerings. I think it has something to do with the rare woods they are all handled with maybe... I have yet to see one with a Horn or Saatisal handle. The latest batch have all been Neem and Dhar as well. Believe it though, should Tamangs of handles other than Neem and Dhar start turning up, I will be adding their uniqueness to my collective. Resistance s FUTILE! :D

Hey Superintendent,
That 16" BAS sounds like a real fine choice:thumbup:
And a khuk that was yours will be extra special:)
I know the knives I have been gifted are the most special to me. Especially when a person is far away and thinking of home.

Take care and best of travels to your Brother.
:D
Mark

No worries, if I understand one thing, it is being poor. Tamangs are not the cheapest of the HI offerings. I think it has something to do with the rare woods they are all handled with maybe... I have yet to see one with a Horn or Saatisal handle. The latest batch have all been Neem and Dhar as well. Believe it though, should Tamangs of handles other than Neem and Dhar start turning up, I will be adding their uniqueness to my collective. Resistance s FUTILE! :D

Fine, Fine, Warty!!!
I coughed up coffee through my nose with the back strapped khuk post and I choked on a caramel shortbread cookie at Resistance is Futile!
:D
Mark

Well Mark, I try to keep things light.

Life is too short not to get a few good laughs in along the way. ;)

Back