Need recommendations: Going hunting

A buddy of mine, ex marine is going hunting in January and knowing me as the knife nut, asked for recommendations for a good fixed blade.

I've actually never been hunting and have never skinned any animals so I come to you gents, fellow knife nuts, for some help.

Only needs are $200 budget, fixed blade, he isn't looking to use it exclusively as just a skinner so some versatility will be good. He isn't picky about handle material, or steel.

Also, excuse any ignorances in my post. Fixed blades I own tend to be smaller edc sizes used for food prep/yard & house work & small outdoors tasks.

FWIW....I have gutted and skinned a mess of deer and elk. I have always used a 3-4 inch blade. A skinner blade design is great for all of it. Though a std drop point works great too.

I have gone to the razor inserts...the knives are cheap, the insert dulls, toss it and install a new one.

A Buck personal is pretty perfect, especially for deer/antelope. All You need. Don't overthink iit...anything sharp in the 3-4 inch range is fine.

Buck Vanguard 192 that is sold by Cabelas (Alaskan Guide Series) would be my initial suggestion. You get a little better steel and to me a generally nicer knife for the extra bucks over the standard Vanguard. There are a lot of choices available under $200. I would suggest he carry a folder along with him as well.

It kind of depends on what game he will be hunting.

Birds will require a different blade style than deer. Same with rabbit and smaller game.

For a larger animal, having a blade that offers good grip when bloody and good belly helps quite a bit.

I also like having steel that offers good enough edge retention to clean the animal without dulling, and avoid chipping in bone. CPM 3V is great from my experience. Also a blade in the 3,4,or 5 inch range works well. It’s also nice to have a sheath that’s easy to clean to remove all the coagulated blood and hair.

For birds or smaller game I like using a thinner flexible blade. I use the small Martinni filet knife for this and have had good results. A bird and trout design would also work well.

Good luck in your search!

I upgraded to a Cross Knives "Trapper" in 3V last year and will be sticking with it this year as well. I am aware it is out of your budget (I think mine was $250) but since MR mentioned 3V, I wanted to chime in. Came with a really nice sheath.
Have fun looking!

He plans on hunting boar, only. So definitely will look for better edge retention in steels, great point.

He plans on hunting boar, only. So definitely will look for better edge retention in steels, great point.

Is he hog hunting with a rifle/shotgun or using a knife only?

Knife hunting will require a longer blade that pierces well and also keeps your hand secure that keeps your hand from sliding forward while pushing the knife into the game.

It will definately depend on this ^ ... is he wanting a knife capable of processing wild boar? ... or is he planning on hunting wild boar with dogs and a knife to kill the hogs?

If he wants a good inexpensive knife to field dress and skin then a Buck Vanguard is a good choice for low budget ... but boar hide is very hard on knives so something with more edge retention might be better ...

if he is planning on killing wild boar with a knife he will need a good 10" to 12" with a good point and not too tall of a blade to penetrate ... there are some dedicated knives just for that ...

but hard to recommend without knowing more specifics on his intended uses.

This is my hunting knife for many years and it does what you need from a hunting fixed blade. The Spyderco Bill Moran drop point has a great grip, perfect blade length, price is right,

The Lionsteel M4 might deserve a look. Great little knife and can be had in M390 steel with enough left over in the budget for a tank of gas. You're not going to be pig-sticking with it though lol, it's small.

Edit: Added picture. The knife on the right is the Lionsteel.

37bUvqr.jpg

Last edited:
A 3" with drop point will do nicely.

No need for fancy steels; it's not about hacking into bone. It's about cutting skin and muscle.

I have an old USA Gerber full Tang drop point that I use. I got it probably 15 years ago.

My first question for him as well (of course like a dumbass I forget to include it here) but he's hunting boar with a rifle and wants a knife that he can take with him that he would then use to skin the boar

The last two wild boars I gutted and skinned I used a single bladed swiss army knife that was called the cowboy. Had a 3-1/2 blade. sharpened up between the first and second hog. They don't make that knife anymore, haven't for a long time. It doesn't take much of a knife as long as it'll keep an edge.

That spyderco is pretty appealing as well as the lion steel. Great options to show him.

As for the knife makers section here on the forum, I think I'm going to end up looking at options for myself :D

Again, I highly appreciate the input

Svord again, sorry.
Combined sticker/skinner if the pig's still writhing from a wound shot & the tracking dog's too close
Svord%20Deluxe%20Hunter%20Knife%20-%20Model%20280H%20copy.1.jpg

Hunter 7
Model 280h
Length of Blade (inches) 7"
Over All Length (inches) 12"
Blade Shape Hunter
Handle Material Mahogony and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 3mm
Sheath Leather

Skinner,from pigs to bison
Svord%20Curved%20Skinner%20-%205.75%20Inches%20-%20Mahogany%20Handle%20Model%20%20677BB%20copy.jpg

Curved Skinner 5 3/4
Model 677BB
Length of Blade (inches) 5 3/4"
Over All Length (inches) 10 3/4"
Blade Shape Curved Skinner
Handle Material Mahogony and Brass
Steel Specifications 15N20
Blade Thickness (mm) 2.2mm
Sheath Leather

Smaller skinner
http://www.svord.com/img/p/2/0/0/200-large_default.jpg
Length of Blade (inches) 5"