1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need recommendations

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by snipa, Oct 7, 2015.

1. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The Caly 3 is a great knife giving a full 3" blade in a slim package.

2. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    It may be going too small, but I really dig some Dragonfly 2 action. It's currently the only Spydie in my EDC rotation. Capable blade with multi-use grip and it virtually disappears in your pocket. Barely over an ounce! You can go cheap with VG-10 and FRN, or go deluxe with ZDP-189 and CF.

3. Stand Straight

Stand Straight

Oct 11, 2013
    +1 :thumbup:
    All nice. The Sage3 may be the slickest/smoothest to open.

4. snipa

snipa

Aug 30, 2013
    Right now it's down to techno, caly 3.5 zdp and dragonfly 2 probably.
    Input?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  5. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    Those are two really different animals. Both great but really different. The build quality of the Techno far exceeds that of the Dragonfly. The ergonomics of the Dragonfly far exceed those of the Techno. For a cool overbuilt pocket tank I'd go Techno. For a great lightweight user I'd go Dragonfly.

Just saw your edit....I think I would go D'fly over Caly but I'm probably in the minority with that opinion. FWIW, I prefer the Caly 3 over the 3.5. The smaller size feels more natural to me in that model.

6. snipa

snipa

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks for the input

7. vanslem6

vanslem6

Oct 4, 2014
    I'm with you, OP. I very rarely carry my PM2, because it just feels too big in my pocket. It's not the length, it's the width and 'blocky' handle or something. I carry a waved Endura with no issue.

I have a Dragonfly, and it's too small, lol. The techno doesn't look too much bigger, but it has to be. Haha.

8. remnar

remnar

Nov 14, 2013
    Those are all great choices, but I agree with Surfingringo about the Caly 3 over the 3.5. A new Techno might take you over that $150 limit that you set but you can probably find a used one for under $150. The Techno is not the most ergonomic model but it is very cool and built like a tank. The Dragonfly is the quintessential LBK. :)

9. snipa

snipa

Aug 30, 2013
    Pulled the trigger on the techno off the exchange. Hope I like it. Thanks guys