Need to get your Schrade knife fixed?

lrv said:
Just another note.
There was no material about Colonial in the package at all.......

Mine came in the same plain brown wrapper with no enclosure. Truthfully, I was looking forward to seeing their catalog more than the knife. I am not familiar with their offerings, and the free knife is all I have seen, other than some old colonials and this new one. I expect that maybe their catalog/brochure/pricelist will be sent seperately?

Codger

I think maybe you had to SPECIFICALLY ask for a catalog in your request. I can assure you it was just a few ad slicks and cut sheets......not like a full color catalog.... :(

Bill

Guys, I appaulogize...really.....

I firgured they would have at least sent something from thier factory that is made here in the US. As you guys know the first knife they sent me was the 3 inch cocobolo lockback, and right on it, it says "colonial knife "04" Prov.

The retail value on this small 3 inch lockback is only $24.00, now I don't know how much it costs to actually produce this knife but it cannot be much. I do really wish that they would have sent you guys a colonial made knife, not something imported by them. I would rather my customers be proud of something that came out of an american manufacturer. I realize that Rick said he would send out for the free knife whatever they happened to have on hand in abundance to send, guess this time around it was this knife. I still wish they would have focused on something made here, saddens me. And the lack of material that they send with the knife, no info packets for everyone and nothing that says it was from colonial. Heck my handmade knife in thier catalog says it comes with a paper that explains the manufacturing process, I checked all over....nope not in there.

I appreciate all your feedback and Steve will know about this, I know some of you guys think that Rick has had a bad attitude torwards the free knife things since the beginning, and I wish that he would at least put some more care into what he's doing. The Cutlery industry is a tough market and you need all the help you can do get back into the market after you been down and out, kind of like re-establishing your credit after filing bankruptcy.

Anyways....that's my 2 cents as well, I will let Steve know my thoughts as well as yours.

David

CKF, every company makes their own business decisions. Colonial is no different. Their advertising plan is geared to project the image they wish the buying public to perceive and based in part on what they think the public wants. Also it is based upon their advertising budget allowances.

Perhaps they, like Schrade in the latter days, are up to their armpits in alligators and they loose sight of the objective, draining the swamp. I am guessing that it is a reality for today's cutlery market that a company has to cater to price points and the best way to do that is to have outsourcing in the far East.

For folks like us, that just means that our choice of brands is limited, and that we have to either stick to NOS products from Schrade USA, or pick through the offerings of the other major cuttlers to find their USA products, or buy from domestic custom cutlers.

If you're still in contact with Colonial, perhaps you pass along some feedback of their website.

For a consumer making shopping decisions, their website needs a lot of work.
- The nice 'handcrafted' knives you posted about a while back can't be found anywhere.
- retail m.s.r.p. is not listed
- where to buy or list of retailers?
- if they're selling Chinese knives, that's a critical piece of information that they neglect to mention anywhere.

Their website seems designed entirely for industry use only, a poor decision considering today's tech-savy shoppers. I suspect the "free" knife offer was never meant for end-consumers or knife fans; it was probably aimed at retailers/distributers.

Best Wishes,
Bob

My free "Colonial" knife finally arrived after a month. I have no problem with the wait since I am sure they were flooded with orders and at least they did keep their word about shipping out my free knife.

I got the same Chinese made 420 steel linerlock POS that all the others seem to be getting. The reason I have Colonial in quotation marks is that I don't believe this is one of their knives at all, just a promotional POS meant to get your attention of a "free" knife so they can send you their loose leaf brochure and price list. The only thing on the tang are the words 'China' on one side and '420 Stainless Steel' on the other. No one would ever know this was a Colonial knife and I am sure that Colonial would be the last one to want to have their name on it.

I was somehow under the mistaken impression that I would actually receive a true 'Made in the USA Colonial' knife. Something that I could actually compare to my other American made slipjoints and possibly Colonial could win over a new customer (me) now that Schrade has gone under. In my opinion they are making a serious marketing mistake by sending these Chinese pieces of crap out because the average person would tend to think that this knife is probably representative of the quality of rest of their product line. They have also missed a golden opportunity for tons of free internet publicity, goodwill, and potential new customers had they just sent out a true Colonial knife for evaluation.

I thank Colonial for keeping their word to many of us and sending out the free knives. Needless to say Colonial has failed to convince me that they are worth a second look. That is the real shame.

Alex Penton

Alex...well said, you took the words right out of my mouth....lets give Colonial a second chance to learn from their mistakes and see if they truely want to provide a USA-made quality knife and thereby deserve our support...at this stage of the game, any US manufactured cutlery item is worth our consideration. So Colonial, I ask you, we stand ready to buy a quality item, will you deliver?

Yes, we want your information, not your fisrt born!
Why? so we can send you updates as to new products and other cool things we are doing at Colonial Knife. :cool:

Best Regadrs,
Steve
Colonial Knife

Tell me somthing, do you have any idea what it would cost Colonial to send out a free knife valued at $30.00 to every one who filled out the inofrmation form? :confused:
We are offering the FREE KNIFE as our way of saying thanks for filling out the information that will help us better understand our customer and future customer base and to keep the industry informed as to all the COOL stuff we are doing at Colonial Knife. I mean..it's free, what did you expect? The FREE KNIFE is just our way of saying thanks for your time and is not meant to be an example of our quality.
Steve
Colonial Knife Company :cool:

Gee, you guys are tough! if any of you ever get back to the northeast we hope you'll take the time to visit us here at Colonial and see the quality we are manufacturing. The FREE KNIFE was offered to say thanks for all your efforts in filling out the information we requested so that we could better understand our potential account (consumer) base and is not is not an example of our quality.Colonial does not have a knife that sells for less than $30.00 retail and it would put us out of business if we gave away such an expensive knife. IT's FREE..TEll me, what other knife company and company is giving back a free product when you fill out a questionaire or at any other time. We (I) thought it would be a nice way of saying thanks to those of you who filled out the informtion.
Steve :cool:
Colonial Knife Company
PS, where is spell check on this thing? :confused:

Alex, it is a shame that an offer that was meant to be a "Thank You" got thrown back in our face (Colonial). I no longer question why corporations don't "give Back" to the comumnity or make offers to their consumers thanking them for their business. Our (my) goal of the FREE KNIFE offer was meant to be our way of saying thanks for filling out the form. Why did I think the FREE KNIFE would be a good idea? No really good explantation, just thought it would show our appreciaton to all of you who took the time to fill it out and it was somthing nice to do..instead people through it back in our (my) face. I'll think twice before we make such an offer again.
In such a hard and difficult world we all live in today, it's a wonder that when people get somthing for free (yes, we did ask that you fill out a form) they throw it back at you. I'm sorry to be so long winded but I do feel badly that what started out as being somthing nice to do..went wrong.
Steve
Colonial Knife :(

I'm not sure, our business has grown a great deal and we have hired a number of new employees and many are still learning thier jobs.
You should have received our catalog and price list, I'll try to look into it as soon as I can. We have more new people at Colonial Knife than we do long time employees and the old guys are teaching the new ones..there is a learning curve.
Please be pateince as we get through our grwoing pains.
Best Regards,
Steve
Colonial Knife :cool:

Thanks, we are working on getting our web site up an running properly. During this growth phase we are hiring new employees to handle the addtitional work load ex. web site.
Best Regards,
Steve
Colonial Knife

Looks like Steve is answering every one of us.
Thanks for that.

I think we should have asked him to come here in the beginning.

I for one will be looking forward to receiving the catalog and a place to go put my hands on one of the US made puppies.

I just might make a side trip to visit the factory. NH aint that far away.

Im still reading Steves notes...

TTYL
Larry

Schrade went out of business not because they didn't have any customers BUT because they didn't have any profit. So many claim to want to buy American made BUT NOBODY WANTS TO PAY FOR IT!!! Worksmans comp. payroll taxes, health care, oil gas lighting, insurance, and the list goes on. If Schrade raised thier prices necesarry to help voer thier overhead cost they would have still gone out of business because the market would not have paid anaymore than it already did. A good affordable American made knife does exist but not at a $14.99 suggested retail
Gerber, Buck are bringing in thier knives from CHina, go to Wal-Mart and see for yourself.

I'm on the road a lot working with sales people and calling on accounts, call me before yo visit so I can arrange a proper visit.
Steve
Colonial Knife

Rick is an old world craftsman knife maker and I asked him to cover the calls regarding the Schrade knife repairs. Unfortunatley he would prefer to be left alone to Work on hand made knives rather than answer the phone. True crafstmans seem to be this way and i appoligize but he is the most knowledgeable among us when it comes to hand made knives.
Best Regards,
Steve
Colonial Knife

It would help if you guys stopped hitting the submit button 5 or 6 times for the FREE KNIFE.
We have been slow sending out the free knife since we can only handle a few hundred a day. It's a manual process at this time (opening up each request and printing it for the shipping department) and every time you hit the submit button, it does just that, submits it but we don't know this until we open it up.
We will add the DONE sign as soon as possible.
Thanks,
Steve
Colonial Knife

Back