• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Negative Blade HQ Experience

In general, I've noticed in my business and other business I've observed over the years. There seems to be a large increase in customer's being abusive and also customer service from businesses that would be deemed unprofessional and inappropriate. It's just something I noticed that wasn't something common say decades ago. It seems people somewhere along the way lost their filter, patience and ability or willingness to deal with each other like human beings. I've observed customer and employee behavior that was absolutely horrendous. I'm not implying the OP did anything on his end, I just thought I'd share my observations of customer and business interactions I've had the unfortunate experience to observe. In my business we are allowed to terminate calls or customer interactions if they continue to be abusive. At no time does my employer allow us to be disrespectful,slander,insult or in anyway be abusive back to a customer. As a matter of fact my company has a policy we are not allowed to bad mouth the company or customers even in private conversation at the workplace. So mistakenly thinking the customer was on hold and speaking about the customer like that wouldn't be tolerated at my place of employment.
In anycase I'd love to see what BHQ has to say, because that was a horrible story of customer service

Last edited:
I have purchased from Blade HQ ... but after long delays in shipping over a week usually when ordering from DLT or USA Made I may get it next day ... if not then 2 days ... and customer service reps at Blade HQ that seem uniterested on the phone ... unless it's an exclusive I really want or the only dealer with the knife in stock I go to my favorite dealers ...

DLT and USA Made Blade are my first choices ... fast shipping and great CS ... I can't speak highly enough about them.

I use GPKnives and Knife Works both are great but it's harder to find what I want there ... True North Knives has been good any dealings I've had also and very helpful.

New Graham is another dealer I like ... just not as big with the selection sometimes.

Suppose they're probably busy getting ready for Blade Show?

Some of that is because they're located in one tiny dot of Utah that on the USPS zone shipping map is like an extra day to everywhere.

I get that items may take a while to get from Utah to my place, but that doesn't explain why I get a shipping confirmation (with tracking number) on 10am one day, but the tracking still shows "USPS Awaiting Item" at 6pm the next day. I know they're a big operation, but they could probably do with some process optimization somewhere in there.

I was told that I could get a refund but that if it ever happened again I would be charged a restocking fee.

Was that your first order with them? Doesn't sound like it per your next sentence. That seems... odd. I've returned numerous items to them over the years, for reasons as simple as "I just didn't like it", and never got charged a restocking fee. I think the CS rep may have been overly aggressive in trying to prevent future returns. Clearly, he was successful in that aspect, but maybe not in the way the management would have wanted.

I'd like to say I de-prioritized BHQ in my shopping preferences due to the the recent bad press, but sadly, it was instead the fact they started charging me sales tax that led to the change...

I’ve ordered from them once or twice but never had an issue. Regardless, hearing something like this is bothersome and will make me think twice about spending my hard earned money there.

Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse but DLT will spend as much time with you on the phone as needed to resolve an issue or just talk knives with you . It feels like your talking to a friend or buddy vs a business. So customer service is definitely not a thing of the past with them . I know you were just generally speaking but just thought I’d throw it out there :thumbsup:

yes I was, I am in the chemical purchasing world....where customer service is now non-existent. I will say Alpha has good customer service as I once was a knife maker but have stopped. Also Pops and I have bought some stuff from DLT and had a good experience.

I get that items may take a while to get from Utah to my place, but that doesn't explain why I get a shipping confirmation (with tracking number) on 10am one day, but the tracking still shows "USPS Awaiting Item" at 6pm the next day. I know they're a big operation, but they could probably do with some process optimization somewhere in there.

Was that your first order with them? Doesn't sound like it per your next sentence. That seems... odd. I've returned numerous items to them over the years, for reasons as simple as "I just didn't like it", and never got charged a restocking fee. I think the CS rep may have been overly aggressive in trying to prevent future returns. Clearly, he was successful in that aspect, but maybe not in the way the management would have wanted.

I'd like to say I de-prioritized BHQ in my shopping preferences due to the the recent bad press, but sadly, it was instead the fact they started charging me sales tax that led to the change...

No it was not, probably a half dozen or so including preorders.

I’ve ordered from them before and never had a problem, but their shipping is slow unless you want to pay a lot. And these days, I much prefer to give my business to DLT anyways. DLT rocks, and shipping is fast!

Not to make excuses, for them, but I've noticed that good help, for little pay, is not happening, in this economy. You can't pay crap wages, when those that compete for the same talent (or lack thereof, lol) will pay more. Yes, I'm assuming...

When the economy cools off, a bit, I bet things will get better! Well, at least orders, at MacDonald's, shouldn't be all screwed up! If you want to know how the economy's doing, go thru a MacDonald's drive thru, and see how your order turns out. If you're missing a bunch of crap, you know the economy's on fire! :D:p

I've had good luck, with BHQ, and wish them the best! However, what's been described, by the OP, is insufferable. I'm not too sure I'll be ordering, from them, in the near future. I'll wait until I see how this shakes out!

I hate to say it, but I've shutdown my account with them recently. I've ordered a ton of knives from them, but recently tried to order a Balisong, first from their sister site Grindworx, and then from BladeHQ itself, and in both instances, their website refused to let me order, claiming Balisongs are restricted in my state, which they absolutely are not. I tried to talk to their customer service by email, and a different person through PM here on BF, and got nowhere and basically told "if our website says it's restricted, then it must be, and we can't change our website"......So, I ordered everything from other sites, and won't bother with BladeHQ from now on.

I hate to say it, but I've shutdown my account with them recently. I've ordered a ton of knives from them, but recently tried to order a Balisong, first from their sister site Grindworx, and then from BladeHQ itself, and in both instances, their website refused to let me order, claiming Balisongs are restricted in my state, which they absolutely are not. I tried to talk to their customer service by email, and a different person through PM here on BF, and got nowhere and basically told "if our website says it's restricted, then it must be, and we can't change our website"......So, I ordered everything from other sites, and won't bother with BladeHQ from now on.

Funny, cause I've ordered totally illegal (in my state) shit from them all the time, and never got so much as a peep ;)

Funny, cause I've ordered totally illegal (in my state) shit from them all the time, and never got so much as a peep ;)

Every time I tried, it stopped the order asking me to fill out a form saying I was a "procurement officer" for either a military or police entity.

The bigger issue is that I just could not get anywhere with their CS at all, and it's not rocket science, it would literally take them seconds to verify that they're wrong on the legal status of Balisongs in my state, but they just weren't interested in doing it.

Last edited:
They appear to be a member/dealer on BF; has anyone let them know about this thread? I don't know how to do it through the forum and e-mail does not sound promising. :rolleyes:

They appear to be a member/dealer on BF; has anyone let them know about this thread? I don't know how to do it through the forum and e-mail does not sound promising. :rolleyes:

That is what the at symbol and their name does, let them know about it. There's been a few of those in this thread.

Thank you, I didn't know that. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, it seems to mean they are well aware and unresponsive. :thumbsdown:

If you are unaware, Blade Show starts tomorrow and they're likely quite tied up with that. While unresponsive here, I'm sure you could get a decent response from them there where they are likely spending their time. I am somewhat giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I think it's fair to assume they are focusing on Blade over non-primary marketing areas and thus the slower response.

Having said that, they just looked at this thread 8 minutes ago according to their profile so I would suspect they're either figuring out a response now or getting the right people to respond appropriately.

Back