Never say never -- Another health report for 9/30/04.

Ben, you're really asking the wrong guy to expound on this. I've taken the essence of some Buddhist philosophy and sort of corrupted it into a form that works for me -- so I call myself a Buddhist because that philosophy best defines my own philosophy of life. And, it's full of beautiful icons and rituals which I like a lot and feel that are almost essential to any religion or philosophy. The Guru said, "take what you can use and leave the rest." I did.

Although I was not a Buddhist when we were having those conversations so many years ago I still hold to that particular concept of spirituality: The spirituality lives forever and merely rents a temporary body so that karma and dharma may be executed in a physical world, remembering that what we see as a physical world is really one of energy -- the "Illusion."

well, for whatever it is worth. there are people sitting in front of a cpu screen across this planet thinking about you and your situation.

do what you got to do Uncle.

Ben?

Your inquiry prompted me to do a Google search. I got distracted by one site.
Here's an exerpt:

An Excerpt from the Book

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism
by Gary Gach
WAKING UP TO YOURSELF, WAKING UP TO BUDDHA
Once there was a man who discovered a realistic, commonsensical, priceless guide to happiness. "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Happiness," if you will. The answer, he found, was available to every human being. Right in front of their face. But, as he would also discover, something so simple may not be for everyone. Why not? Well, for one thing, the Buddha only said he discovered something that worked, and invited others to try it and see for themselves. He was a guide but not a god, and some people prefer to wait for God or priests to tell them what they can find out for themselves or even already know intuitively. (Might this be you?)

Hear and Now

"Don't believe a teaching just because you heard it from a man who's supposed to be holy, or because it's contained in a book supposed to be holy, or because all your friends and neighbors believe it. But whatever you've observed and analyzed yourself and found to be reasonable and good, then accept that and put it into practice." — The Buddha

Moreover, some people prefer to imagine their happiness will be eternal. Unattainable but very, very dramatic. (Could this be you?) Others have a hard time letting go of the accumulation of labels and wounds that have stuck to them throughout life, rather than appreciating the blue sky, solid earth, and green plants, in the present moment. (Is this _you_?) And others tenaciously cling to sorrows, as if for ballast, rather than let go and sense the innate, ineffable lightness of the spirit. If you can see yourself in this portrait gallery (and who can't?), then join the club. It's sometimes called The Human Condition. Right there, in a nutshell, you have it. We spin around in our ratcage when all along the door is unlocked

Link:

http://www.thedailylama.com/Lib/082.html

I have no idea of the correspondence of this site, and book, to the system of belief referred to as Buddhism. As I said, I just stumbled across it.

Be well and safe,

Kis

Bill Martino said:
But it was what was given me and now it's up to me to play it the very best I can if I want to hold myself in the regard as a Buddhist that I want. And that's important. What others think doesn't matter. What I think matters a LOT.
I'm not sure how your actions fit into Buddhist orthodox thought if there is such a thing, but you're doing a damn fine job as a human being. I continue to learn by your example.

I might not play the hand you've been dealt the same way, but we all have unique karmic problems to address.

Peace be with you, my friend.

Dave Hahn said:
well, for whatever it is worth. there are people sitting in front of a cpu screen across this planet thinking about you and your situation.

do what you got to do Uncle.

What he said.

Uncle Bill,

I'm glad to see that you are considering fighting it out.

Your life is your own, but with the good you've done, I think the world will be better the longer yuo last.

Course I am prejudiced.

Uncle Bill, Your courage, positive outlook, and fighting spirit may be the best medicine of all, and are inspirations for us all. Easy words maybe, when facing pain off the Richter scale and a dark prognosis for the future, but I do believe in the power of collective prayer and positive smoke. When my time comes I only hope I can muster the inner strength to go down fighting with dignity. Never give up! Never surrender!

"Ayo Gorkhali"!

Bill Martino said:
...The Guru said, "take what you can use and leave the rest...
That seems to be one of those universal rules. I don't know where it originated, but you heard it from a teacher in a monastery at the top of the world, I heard it from Ken Kesey in Oregon, and thousands of AA members heard it at every meeting along with "One Day at a Time".

Bill is a true A Da Nv Do Di Tli Hi ..... Ayo Ghorkali goes well with that.

I'm away for a while, and I come back to see this, plus Walosi's problems...

When it rains, it pours, I guess.

Both of you have my best wishes.

I'm a little pre-occupied since I just got back from seeing my mom who recently entered hospice care after a 16 year fight with breast cancer.

It is all a bit overwhelming to have all this occur at the same time.

Is an incense bonfire "kosher"?

bill why the hospice !!!!

i have just gone through two deaths, my dad with pancreas cancer, and my father in law with liver and lung cancer.
they both stayed at home and died in there own beds with loved ones around.

anything that they can do in a hospice can be done 50 times better at home.
and you are in familiar surroundings.

all that is basicly required is a supply of pain medicine.
ie morphine ect, and someone willing to help out.
as i said i helped in both cases and they had a mutch better time of it at home. just a point worth your concideration. all the best bill

Prayers sent. That level 10 pain sounds like the toughest test, and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Prayers as always. And remember, as well, if you need anything at all you need only say the word. I think I can safely speak for all of us with that.

Hospice care in the home is available now.

I just saw it in action.

The pain meds create their own problems that need to be minimized for maximum comfort. Experienced people will visit to provide help which can make a big difference.

Back