What new Bushcrafter

• LT Wright - Gary Wines Bushcrafter

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Battle Horse - Battlelore

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Other

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
TRC Splinter 120 doesn’t seem to get much love around these pages. It’s the most versatile fixed blade bushcraft knife I’ve come across. JMHO.

They offer several versions in two different blade grinds. I went with the FFG in green Micarta. Pretty knife.

Have you considered a Bark River Aurora? Its a great Knife, A2 versions can be found for about 170.00 Last time I checked.
I really like the BRK bushcrafter and aurora but I always find the BRK handles way too slick. I really wish they offered a less polished micarta.

The knife I really thought hard about adding into that "other" slot was the William Collins (Saner Scout). But man they are hard to snag and quite a wait time.

I haven't used the Bushlore ... I like the Gary Wines but I prefer LT Wrights GNS ... and Bushcrafter ... I also love my LT Wright Outback but it's not a tradition blade shape most think of as a "bushcraft" knife ... but i think it's a great all arounder ...

I like the LT Wrights in AEB-L ... got a GNS and had to get another in AEB-L

I like my BHK Big Jay and a couple other models ... they are quality just like LT Wright and Beckers are ...

LT Wrights ...top to bottom ...
1. GNS Curly Maple in AEB-L
2. GNS OD Micarta in AEB-L
3 & 4 are GNS in 01 ... the #4 has liners and is a much thicker handle ...
5. Outback in 3V
6. Bushcrafter that one is 01 I think not the AEB-L one
7. Rogue River Desert Ironwood in A2
2019-04-16 00.58.34.jpg

I enjoy my BK16s too and they are a great value.

Last edited:
Well, while I don't do "bushcraft" specifically, I do "outside stuff" religiously.

Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner and 162 Bushcrafter are pretty much the same, but I like the Skinner.

Bradford Knives makes awesome stuff.... the Guardian 4 with the 3D micarta scales fits your budget nicely. But I wouldn't adhere to your budget, I'd grab the Guardian 4.5 with 3D camo micarta scales for a mere $20 more.

Or for a mere $10 more, I would do the Southern Grind Jackal.

I don't own one, but the Ka-Bar Snody Big Boss is one I've been wanting to try out. Get one and post a review!

5102-HERO-MOBILE.jpg

All great suggestions for the other slot. Anther great maker that I wasn't really tracking on is AA forge. They have some really awesome looking modes - too bad they are all sold out. Too many knives not enough $$.

Well, while I don't do "bushcraft" specifically, I do "outside stuff" religiously.

Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner and 162 Bushcrafter are pretty much the same, but I like the Skinner.

Bradford Knives makes awesome stuff.... the Guardian 4 with the 3D micarta scales fits your budget nicely. But I wouldn't adhere to your budget, I'd grab the Guardian 4.5 with 3D camo micarta scales for a mere $20 more.

Or for a mere $10 more, I would do the Southern Grind Jackal.

I don't own one, but the Ka-Bar Snody Big Boss is one I've been wanting to try out. Get one and post a review!

5102-HERO-MOBILE.jpg
I have handled the Snoddy and I liked it (big and small versions). It does have a thin handle that some would not like. I would have purchased one a couple of years ago if the sheath had a belt loop. I am not going to spend $ for another sheath. I don't routinely strap a knife to the outside of a bag or pack. I am concerned about loosing one there and quick access is seldom an issue with knives for me.

Well today my BHK Feather stick arrived today (not the subject of the post - was ordered well before). Its absolutely fantastic and flawless. You can absolutely tell LT and BHK use to be partners and both make a quality product. I have no doubts after seeing the BHK Feather stick that the Battlelore or any other BHK would be outstanding.

Got an Enzo Trapper in N690 today. ( Similar steel to VG-10) Very nice knife if you want stainless and comes with a pretty well made dangler sheath. It's about the size of an F1.

Got an Enzo Trapper in N690 today. ( Similar steel to VG-10) Very nice knife if you want stainless and comes with a pretty well made dangler sheath. It's about the size of an F1.
I think the Enzo Trappers are super underrated and don't get enough attention given the great price. I have had one in the past and really enjoyed it. I will get another at some point.

I don’t know if it can be counted as a bushcraft knife, but I really love my Spyderco Bradley Bowie. PSF27(D2) is awesome stuff for in the field.

Interesting. That's one I honestly would have to use before I could say I like to use it beyond what it looks like in a picture (which I like). I generally prefer a thinner profile for the outdoors.

Your choice of a 0.1250-in or a 0.1875-in thick blade.

Definitely prefer 0.125" but I'm comfortable with 1/8" stock in general. I was referring more to the height of the blade than the stock thickness. Everyone has their preferences that they have developed. There is no right or wrong to it. I don't use my knives roughly in the outdoors and batonning something would have to be a near emergency unless I'm car camping and sitting around the fire looking for things to do.... "think I'll try batonning with this knife".... kind of thing.

Last edited:
Back