New DPx HEST First Run Pics (WARNING: Put some plastic over your computer first!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes skull tool for First Run is Titanium Skull Tool for Production is different design skull and stainless

and First Run have TiCrCN Titanium Carbon sputter coatings, Production models like Milspec Phosphate coating (like an M4)

Here is your homework!
http://www2.coromant.sandvik.com/coromant/pdf/smallparts/catalogue/P127-132.pdf

and

Wear resistant composite coatings deposited by electron enhanced closed field unbalanced magnetron sputtering:

A. A. Voevodin1, C. Rebholz, J. M. Schneider2, P. Stevenson and A. Matthews
Research Centre in Surface Engineering, University of Hull, Hull, HU6 7RX, UK
Received 16 May 1994; accepted 19 October 1994. ; Available online 6 April 2000.
Abstract
There is presently considerable interest in wear resistant coatings produced using closed field unbalanced magnetron sputtering technology. For example, layered films of diamond-like carbon (DLC) with tungsten or titanium additions have been widely reported. The benefit is that the mechanical properties are enhanced (e.g. giving greater toughness); also it is possible to control the stress state and enhance adhesion.

Here we report the further development of this concept by the addition of TiN, TiCN and TiC layers in DLC-based composites, utilizing an additional source of electrons in the vicinity of substrate to enhance ionisation of the plasma and increase coating density. Composite coatings of ceramics TiN, TiCxNy, TiC, CrN, TiCrN, TiCrCN, TiCrC, metal doped Tix%-DLC and their combinations were deposited on 316 stainless steel substrates. The mass flow of reactive gases into the chamber was controlled using plasma optical emission monitoring to achieve the desired coating composition. The morphology of the coatings was investigated and correlated with Knoop microhardness, scratch adhesion, pin-on-disc and wet abrasive wheel tests. Dense T-type structures were found for most of the coatings and a high toughness of Ti30%-DLC coating with a TiC interlayer was observed. Low friction coefficients of 0.15–0.18 for coatings with Tix%-DLC layers confirmed their benefit in sliding wear applications, while TiCN coatings were found to be the best in abrasive wear conditions.

Wear resistant composite coatings deposited by electron enhanced closed field unbalanced magnetron sputtering:

Received 16 May 1994; accepted 19 October 1994. ; Available online 6 April 2000.
Abstract
There is presently considerable interest in wear resistant coatings produced using closed field unbalanced magnetron sputtering technology. For example, layered films of diamond-like carbon (DLC) with tungsten or titanium additions have been widely reported. The benefit is that the mechanical properties are enhanced (e.g. giving greater toughness); also it is possible to control the stress state and enhance adhesion.

Here we report the further development of this concept by the addition of TiN, TiCN and TiC layers in DLC-based composites, utilizing an additional source of electrons in the vicinity of substrate to enhance ionisation of the plasma and increase coating density. Composite coatings of ceramics TiN, TiCxNy, TiC, CrN, TiCrN, TiCrCN, TiCrC, metal doped Tix%-DLC and their combinations were deposited on 316 stainless steel substrates. The mass flow of reactive gases into the chamber was controlled using plasma optical emission monitoring to achieve the desired coating composition. The morphology of the coatings was investigated and correlated with Knoop microhardness, scratch adhesion, pin-on-disc and wet abrasive wheel tests. Dense T-type structures were found for most of the coatings and a high toughness of Ti30%-DLC coating with a TiC interlayer was observed. Low friction coefficients of 0.15–0.18 for coatings with Tix%-DLC layers confirmed their benefit in sliding wear applications, while TiCN coatings were found to be the best in abrasive wear conditions.

Dude, all you had to say was "Pretty knife. Sharp knife." and you had me. :p

Abstract

Totally :cool:.

But on a more serious note, I need this knife in my hands NOW!

These pics are great, thanks RYP.

awesome folder, great design, is going to be the coolest hard use folder on market :D
I like it very much, but who doesn't ? :D

You sure know how to let out a little slack, then reel us back in...let out a little slack...post some pics..reel us in..:D

The standard version looks the best to me, can't wait to satrt using mine.

I had some frequent flier miles racked up so I flew to Maniago - ITALY last night and picked up my LE HEST/F today. :thumbup:

The people at Lion Steel are great, I got a tour and everything. :)

Hope no body minds........... ;)

Oh well, an old man can dream can't he???? :D

They look awesome. Not that I'm complaining but are the LE mr dp tools not going to have the brass inserts?

Can't wait to get my sterile LE that's on order. This is one sweet blade!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back