New fixed blade

Lamnia has a Lionsteel B40 Bushcraft knife listed for March release:

Lionsteel range of fixed blade knives is finally enriched with the new born B40 Bushcraft knife. B40 is the ultimate tool for the natural life enthusiasts, great for wood carving thanks to the stonewashed Sleipner stainless steel blade. It’s easy to handle because of its light weight and average dimensions, it’s very comfortable for its 3D milled handle scales. The knife is available with traditional Olive or Santos wood handles as well as with G-10 and Micarta
handle. It comes with a brown leather sheath. Get in the bush, explore and enjoy!

Specifications
Blade

Sleipner

Blade coating / finish

Stonewashed

Handle

G-10

Sheath

Leather

Designer

Molletta

Blade style

Drop point

Blade grind

Saber

Weight:

208 g

Overall length:

223 mm

Blade length:

98 mm

Blade thickness:

3.8 mm

Country of origin:

Italy

Pictures from GP Knives IG:
tumblr_plwcb9RJJ71sibzg9o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_plwcb9RJJ71sibzg9o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_plwcb9RJJ71sibzg9o6_640.jpg

The B40 is definitely interesting, and I will probably pick one up. However, I’ve been waiting for the bigger fixed blades that LionSteel has been talking about.

The B40 is definitely interesting, and I will probably pick one up. However, I’ve been waiting for the bigger fixed blades that LionSteel has been talking about.

...I like the B40 too, but I can't understand why Lionsteel didn't release it in stainless steel!
I would better understand a massive chopper made of sleipner (despite I'm Always for stainless) but not a 4" utility blade....bah!

Last edited:
...I like the B40 too, but I can't understand why Lionsteel didn't release it in stainless steel!
I would better understand a massive chopper made of sleipner (despite I'm Always for stainless) but not a 4" utility blade....bah!

If you want a smaller fixed blade with the great M390 stainless steel LionSteel has two: M4 (3.74") and M1 (2.91").

https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/allproducts/_/m4?f_family_157=1&idcategory=189
https://www.lionsteel.it/n/en/allproducts/_/m1?f_family_157=1&idcategory=203

Kon,

In a hard use fixed blade, I prefer Sleipner or an equivalent high durability, low chromium, semi-stainless steel. I have chipped, rolled, bent, and broken knives in stainless steels like S30V, M390, S35VN, and ELMAX that were advertised as bushcraft blades but when they were actually put to practical bushcraft hard use they were damaged. I've found that Sleipner is very well suited to hard use blades, bordering on carbon steel strength and elasticity. Another great aspect of Sleipner strength is that you can have more efficient blade geometry, versus stainless hard use blades which are thick, obtuse pry-bars.

As for corrosion, the only issues I have experienced with Sleipner is hot summer pocket sweat which gets on my folding knives and causes some light rust spotting if I wear it all day and slack in my maintenance. Ive found that fixed blades are easier to keep maintained and corrosion free. I actually perform a forced patina on my Sleipner blades which turns the steel into a deeper blue, and makes it more rust resistant.

Back