New For 2017: Cold Steel Frenzy (XL) Folder.

Hey Folks.
So I decided that I really don't like any of the colors on the Frenzy, so I took mine apart and decided to RIT Dye it.
I just wanted the plain black, I prefer the sleekness of the black. I'm incredibly happy with the results. It still feels exactly the same as before. So this one is now officially a keeper. :)

Hey Monkey!

Well. I don't have much experience with the Holdout. I have had all of the Holdout Models, except for the smallest ones, but Never carried it because I couldn't stand the G10. It was like sandpaper and carried like hell for me. So Long term Was a no for me.

The G10 on this is Smooth but tactile in touch. A pleasure to carry. But One thing I do remember is that the Movement on my Holdout's were horrendous, Im sure because I never broke them in, but this one out of box was as smooth as could be for a Cold Steel.

But I can see why the hold out would be a better comparison to the Frenzy. The Holdout is wider than the Frenzy, this isn't a very wide knife, specially for its size. I wish I could be more help man.

gotcha. thanks for the feedback appreciated.

Hey Folks.
So I decided that I really don't like any of the colors on the Frenzy, so I took mine apart and decided to RIT Dye it.
I just wanted the plain black, I prefer the sleekness of the black. I'm incredibly happy with the results. It still feels exactly the same as before. So this one is now officially a keeper. :)

Glad you like it, but IMO you just absolutely destroyed the attractiveness of the knife. Plain black is so freaking commonplace(hell, the vast majority of CS blades I own are in black), and so freaking boring. Why anyone would want to take a CS blade that finally came in a color combo OTHER than plain boring generic black and ruin it is beyond me, but it's your knife, so be it.

Thanks for updating with pics and thoughts. I just have a question for you, are the thumbstuds removable? In am easy way, I mean, unscrewing them?

Thank you!

Hey Bud. Im assuming they can be unscrewed because one side has a Flat head screw driver spot on it. I'm assuming thats how one could unscrew it?

Glad you like it, but IMO you just absolutely destroyed the attractiveness of the knife. Plain black is so freaking commonplace(hell, the vast majority of CS blades I own are in black), and so freaking boring. Why anyone would want to take a CS blade that finally came in a color combo OTHER than plain boring generic black and ruin it is beyond me, but it's your knife, so be it.

I personally like to have a black knife because its easier for me con conceal. I try to make a 12 1/2 knife as under the radar as possible. Lol. But Its a personal choice.
I wasn't a big fan of the two tone, the same reason I wasn't a big fan of the KnifeWork's Benchmade 810 Contego. That pattern is what always bothered me about the piece. Same goes for the Frenzy.
I do agree with you, its nice to have some change, change up the colors a bit. Its good. I'm still happy that Cold Steel decided to change up the colors, its a good change compared to the "Boring Black". It just wasn't my thing.

I personally like to have a black knife because its easier for me con conceal. I try to make a 12 1/2 knife as under the radar as possible.

Lol, but...literally every single person who would have noticed the knife in it's original coloration will still notice it now that it's black.

That black g10 handle looks good. I was thinking for the stock gray g10, it looks layered as in if you were to sand the side of the g10, would it eventually expose the black color as opposed to the gray color. I'm not sure how much sanding would be required.

Love the black. I get that CS is switching up colors, but if ever there was a great candidate for a full blackout treatment, it's the frenzy. It's so massive that anything done to subdue its appearance would be welcome. If they affected a black clip, I might buy one and do the RIT dye it too.

I have mine and have had a really tough time trying to unscrew the thumbstud.... is it loctighted on or something?

I have mine and have had a really tough time trying to unscrew the thumbstud.... is it loctighted on or something?

Yes sir. It is locktite. Just give it a firm, screw and you will feel a slight release. All of the screws internally are Loctited it also.

I am still torn between the Hold Out 1 and Frenzy 1. The Frenzy looks more ergonomic and I really like the handle visually. I just can't get over the slightly curved blade. I so much would have liked it to be a true wharncliffe. These choises are killing me, I am sure I will get either of those. The price in my favourite shop is about the same.

By the way, has anyone noticed what what the blade of the Frenzy really remembles? This should be of interest to anyone practising filipino martial arts.

DSC00219.jpg

I am still torn between the Hold Out 1 and Frenzy 1. The Frenzy looks more ergonomic and I really like the handle visually. I just can't get over the slightly curved blade. I so much would have liked it to be a true wharncliffe. These choises are killing me, I am sure I will get either of those. The price in my favourite shop is about the same.

That's been bugging me too. I think they should have either made the edge completely straight or gone the other way and had a slightly more obvious curve. As it is, it almost looks like it was intended to be totally straight but just didn't turn out quite right, like it can't decide whether it wants to be a wharncliffe or a hawkbill. :D I'll likely end up with one anyway, but still...

That's been bugging me too. I think they should have either made the edge completely straight or gone the other way and had a slightly more obvious curve. As it is, it almost looks like it was intended to be totally straight but just didn't turn out quite right, like it can't decide whether it wants to be a wharncliffe or a hawkbill. :D I'll likely end up with one anyway, but still...

My guess is that you're right - it was intended to be straight. Just speculating based on what I've heard from multiple manufacturers; that making a true straight edge is more difficult.
I saw an interesting video of Lynn with the Frenzy and other new blades -
[youtube]KRYzh5d8qoo[/youtube]

Thanks, AF. I hadn't seen that. Of course, now I want an Immortal even more too. :thumbup:

edit: CS is gonna gobble up my entire knife budget this year. I've got an SR1 on pre order, and I also want to pick up an Immortal, a Frenzy, and an Italian 4-MAX. :(:D

Last edited:
Back