New Knife For A Military Man?

A Spyderco Paramilitary 2 would definitely fit the description perfectly. But if you think he would appreciate something a little more beefy, you can find him a Zero Tolerance 0350 or 0300 on a certain website for cheap!

You could probably find a ZT 200 floating around the exchange here.

++ on the zt0350 Blackwash, despite my lengthy post earlier actually trying to push it into a little higher price knife didn't even think I'll be 350 what a great idea have one myself in tiger stripe absolutely fits the bill perfectly for your buddy super well-built easy to use flipper very robust knife and a nice size can be picked up for $124 with free shipping on a particular amaz$)(@.com site

I would recommend a Spyderco Military, but it's about $25 over your budget.

The Paramilitary 2 is in your budget and would be my second choice.

I own and use both as my work knives. They are excellent for one hand use with gloves.

And they are not as fragile as some seem to think.

wva4uw.jpg

2nv5k5d.jpg

Benchmade mini presidio is pretty nice and they carry it at most clothing sales on base, my daughter picked hers up there. A Zt200 would work well too but its pretty large to carry.

Former Army Medic - used a Spyderco Delica, Benchmade 975, Emerson CQC-7B, SOG Multi-Tool, and a Victorinox Huntsman. The Vic Huntsman was probably the most useful. I used the scissors for cutting tape an bandages, the tweezers for pulling splinters, and the saw in the field for hooch improvement an other tasks.

A Benchmade Griptillian or Ritter Grip would be great. The above Benchmade H&K knife would be good too.

I dont know if they still do it, but the Army used to give out a Gerber Multitool with your RFI before deploying. I used that Gerber all the time. I tore down light and heavy weapons, cut the wire on ammo boxes, open MRE's etc... I also had a Benchmade Auto, but hardly ever used it. If I needed a scissor, I used a heavy duty one I kept on my kit.

My go to war folder would be a Paramilitary 2.

After I made sure I had a Leatherman Wave or Surge, a Gerber MP600, or a SOG Powerplier, that is.

Do any servicemen/women carry Buck 110s nowadays? One-hand opening being de rigeur, I suppose not, but they don't break down.

Zieg

I've got that SAK Rescue Tool, I keep it in my car in case I'm in (or come upon) an accident, I'm not sure that it would actually be terribly useful most of the time for an actual medic... I would agree with others that a multitool is probably more useful while deployed, but if you want to get him a knife specifically I'd say either the paramilitary2 or the HK that has been suggested.

I have to admit, as a retired medic, I find this thread very interesting. It has been fun reading the different ideas that you guys are suggesting. All would work and many are IMHO spot on.

If you factor in that, many times, today's medic is expected to be a soldier first and a medic second, the Adamas looks like it would be perfect. Except for the cost. The HK Axis seems to be the perfect compromise, being in the right price range and offering many features of the Adamas. Both are fine products that will serve your friend well. As for the Triage, I have drooled on one but have never used it in the field so I can't really say much except that I would love to own one.

The Leatherman RAPTOR did not exist when I was in. It would have been great to have but, for me, not a must have item. Here is the reason why. If other people use your gear, many times you never see it again. A lot of the people you come in contact with have sticky fingers and a cool item like the RAPTOR would be one of the first things to walk away. Secondly, your stuff gets trashed if you loan it out. Also, So, I would have to have to field two RAPTOR tools. That is a cost that I am not willing fork out.

So, what did I carry? CRKT M16-02 or a CRKT Prowler. The Prowler was my favorite of the two. Both were easy to replace. If I had to do it again I would carry an Adamas and a Gerber or Leatherman multi-tool some sort. Maybe instead of the MT I would carry a SAK. It just depends upon the mission.

Today's medic has better kit and more of it than ever before, so weight may be an issue. I know it would be for me. It seemed that I always had more crap to carry than the troops I worked with.

If my unit called me up today and told me to grab my gear, I'd pack the HK Axis 14715.

If my unit called me up today and told me to grab my gear, I'd pack the HK Axis 14715.

Yeah, the HK is hard to beat but, I think the Adamas is just a little better. If money is an issue, then I would pick the HK. I can't picture being under knifed with either one.

He is in American military, buy him an American knife. That is a big deal when your in.

Back