New knife from Queen?

yikes, that nail nick. that reminds me of why i didnt buy those red trout boys knives. nail nick geometry does matter.

I agree, that's why I didn't buy a Red Trout.
But now I'm kicking myself for not owning that fantastic shield.

Huh.
I've got a Red Trout I carry and I never gave a second, or first, thought to the nail nick. It does what its supposed to. I just went and opened it to make sure. Yup, works fine :thumbsup:
This may be a case of ignorance being bliss. I didn't (don't) know enough to be bothered by it :)

showing my ignorance as well... what's wrong with the nail nick? I actually prefer the placement of the clip blade nick on the new Queen to the Case mini...

as someone pointed out earlier.... at least it's not a chinese matchstrike..:rolleyes:

Huh.
I've got a Red Trout I carry and I never gave a second, or first, thought to the nail nick. It does what its supposed to. I just went and opened it to make sure. Yup, works fine :thumbsup:

showing my ignorance as well... what's wrong with the nail nick? I actually prefer the placement of the clip blade nick on the new Queen to the Case mini...

I'm sure the nail nick works perfectly fine.
It's an aesthetics thing for me, it just looks over-sized and runs too close to the edge.
It's not a complete deal breaker, but at that price I wasn't willing to overlook it. But it has one of the best shields ever!

Pulled this picture off of Google, apologies to the owner. ;)

oh... ok. Got it. I thought he was saying the nail nicks on the new Queen were no good...

That IS a very strange looking nick...

I agree, that's why I didn't buy a Red Trout.
But now I'm kicking myself for not owning that fantastic shield.

yeah believe me, I deliberated over those as well. And I compared them to the original runs of boys knives from csc. Sure their blade to handle is on par to case's but I still liked them. But on the red trouts, something about the nail nick looked different compared to come examples I have of the original boys knives. At one point the nail nick was so comically large that i thought the blade was smaller, but the maker insisted it was similar.

its the same case for the new queen knife that I saw in the for sale section already.

I'm enjoying this little knife a lot.
It's cheap enough that I just don't care how I treat it.
The pull and 'snap' are very satisfying once they smoothed out.
My favorite spey blade ever, recognizable but different enough to be very usable.
There's no satisfaction or pride of ownership, but definitely some enjoyment upon using it.

I'm enjoying this little knife a lot.
It's cheap enough that I just don't care how I treat it.
The pull and 'snap' are very satisfying once they smoothed out.
My favorite spey blade ever, recognizable but different enough to be very usable.
There's no satisfaction or pride of ownership, but definitely some enjoyment upon using it.

I can imagine how it'd be handy. Probably good for handy-man chores. I'll have to give mine a go this weekend.

JohnDF JohnDF - Maybe ya ought'a hold off dinging up your new Queen. Could turn out to be a collector's item in the future.:) I'm liking mine more and more as I handle it. Except for the low lying nail nicks, I find no faults with mine.:thumbsup:

IMO the article confirms the doubts people hold about the manufacturing process are valid.

Well written article though - clearly they are keen to see the venture succeed. I am too.

I see them as a fairly well-built budget knife.
As long as purchasers are in that mind-set I'm sure they will appreciate the knife.
If your looking for something to collect or think it will maintain some kind of value... Keep looking.

In a recent video, the producer (foggy large hill cutlery jobs lol) said:

- They bought the Queen and Queen City brands
- The trademarks had to be defended, and that is the reason for the abrupt release of this knife
- A Queen City trademark defense knife will be coming out soon
- They did not say who the maker was but confirmed multiple times it was USA made
- They said they plan to do full lines of Queen and Queen City knives
- They said they don't know if those lines will be USA made
- They said 300 were made of this Queen Mini Trapper Pilot Test run

Queen City trademark defence knife?? What might THAT be? Stabber Jack? :rolleyes:

Bear in mind that the Queen Cutlery History website is something set up by enthusiasts AFTER Queen Cutlery itself closed down, it is not an official endorsement. They give a fair assessment of the knife but it is not some kind of approval or authentication. Indeed they say in the following quote -

"It does not have the signature bone, stag or pearl handles we know from the Queen of old. Nor does it have brass liners, hand hammered brass pins or a hard stamped tang mark. It’s a modern version of a traditional knife pattern and seems to have been made with some advanced processes which Queen Cutlery Company did not have. It will be interesting to see what comes next."

Laser cut out blades and laser tang etch, could be a Pilot Test run for Offshoring..

Back