New knife law in Germany

As off april 1st 2008 it is illegal in Germany to carry onehand opening folders regardless of bladelength an fixed baldes with a blade exceeding 5 inches in length. You still can keep them in your home though.:eek:
Besides that I now cannot carry 90% of my collection in the streets anymore, here goes the German market fot about most modern folders.:barf:

Last edited:
As off april 1st it is illegal in Germany to carry onehand opening folders regardless of bladelegth an fixed baldes with a blade exceeding 5 inches in length. You still can keep them inxour home though.:eek:
Besides that I now casnnot carry 90% of my collection in the streets anymore, here goes the German market fot about most modern folders.:barf:

What good is a knife if you can't take it outside??!

Not much. :grumpy:

I'm sorry that this happened. Work on getting the law changed, until then abide by the law. I'd start buying small fixed blades and "traditional" folders.

GregB

You can take a horse to the water but you cannot make him drink.------------------------- (( and even if you could, he'd still gag on Spam. ))

Last edited by a moderator:
If there was such a law in the US. Or anyplace whos going to really listen to it. I'm not going to walk around at night unarmed and the cops find my body on the ground the next day over some silly law. I got a permit to carry a handgun, you don't need one to carry a knife I carry both.

But if I get mugged I won't be the one laying on the ground dead over some stupid poor punk who just wanted some money and happened to find out I wasn't armed so people like this usoually kill you anyways so you can't identify them. Yeah I'd rather be clutching a emerson or a handgun in my hand have died in a blaze of glory rather then in some lame way with nothing to defend myself with besides my fists. But I'd rather it be him then me. Because I was able to defend myself it saved my life. Oh then what are they going to do arrest you for self defense with a knife. And arrest the corps for mugging you when he prob had a more illegal weapon on him then you did possibly unregisered. LOL A knife made for self defense is what you need and what you should trust to save your life and not a 1 inch little boy scouts knife isn't going to save your life prob won't even phase the guy. You need a knife that you can get out quicker then the other guy or your pretty much screwed.

Some law isn't going to take my right to bare a form of self defense. They will have to pry the knife and gun from my corps before they get my rights. :p Seriously tho when you live out in the country everybody's a modern cowboy. There are no laws out here like that and cops are 45 mins away. Nobodys going to get to you in time out here if somebody wants your money. Your going to need a good defensive weapon not a dinkly little pocket knife you give to your 10 year old boy.

Last edited:
You've got muggers on the streets and you've got muggers in the government. I guess that's an explaination to account for these nonsensical laws.

Maybe they are not designed to protect YOU!

That's the tragedy...

wow it saddens me to hear of the restrictions there...
i have a friend in berlin and he has not said of this yet...
a Buck 110 with 4 inch blade is still ok yes ?

Just more proof as to how useless governments really are, and even more proof as to how spineless men have become.

Lay down and let fascism take over.

PITIFUL.

This is a pre-copy of what I wrote for CALIBER Magazine, BLADE and TACTICAL KNIVES Magazine as an Editorial..
It was written with hours of the decision to ban knives while we were all @ IWA.
The final is already published in CALIBER of Germany the July issue:

Fear mongering in the knife world: Government repression

2008 is a year that will stand out in Germany. Yes, many times in history announcements and events came out of Nuremberg that shook the world. March 2008 will rank with any of those: repression of the people and industries that abound around the world and in Germany by an outdated, illogical, and deceptive governmental politician whose only goals are security by propaganda! The German government has in its infinite wisdom let a single authoritarian politician seeking fame and a name declare in its general name that it can solve all the ills of society and internal disturbances by banning the most common of pocket knives and its variants. A few years ago they decided without logic or any rational reasons to declare that because some miscreants, gang bangers and criminals might carry balisongs a.k.a. unique openers, they made them illegal and balisongs were in all forms out right banned. Caught up in this hodgepodge declaration are all the legitimate Filipino Martial Artists and the like who found out through great anguish that the law made no distinction between practice balisongs and live blade balisongs: All balisongs were illegal and banned. Just ask Filipino martial arts instructor Senior Guro Edessa Ramos, a college instructor by day who on her way to coffee at a cofee shop in Germany just across the border from her house in Switzerland was stopped with her martial arts training bag which contained a training balisong. She was cognizant of the law about live balisongs and dutifully tried to be in compliance and NEVER carried a live balisong out of her house but like most was completely unaware of the total ban on all balisongs live or safe trainers. She was released after much legal ado with a very stern warning.( of course WITHOUT her balisong)

This new ban is even more outrageous. Because of the ban on balisongs, at least according to the German government politicians logic all the miscreants, gang bangers and criminals who can no longer get their knife of choice (a balisong) will move on to owning and misusing the common pocket knife...especially SHO knives and SHO knives with locks. I have no idea how he or they decided this but in a move to protect the poor people of Germany from all these knife rabid bad guys and the attacks sure to follow have decreed the following:

All SHO single Handed opening knives are illegal. Yes, holes, studs, disks, waves, ramps and the lot are totally illegal. WHY? They now illegal for exactly that simple reason of because one can open the knife single handedly. And of course ONLY miscreants, gang bangers or criminals would want to be able to open their knives with one hand. No mention is made that single handed openers save lives, that under duress or injury one can still open a single handed opening knife to save one’s own life or the life of another.
No mention of the fact that for 35 or more years that SHOs have existed, been made and sold in Germany they are not used against good citizens, but for the good of citizens. No mention is made of the fact that almost 100% of all folding pocket knives in existence are Single handed openers. No mention of the fact that millions of law abiding citizens carry Single handed Openers, from civilians, to Police to Military. No mention of the fact that knives are edged tools, that tools are designed to make work easier and Single Handed Openers make working with edged tools easier and safer. The ONLY mention is from a close minded, bigoted politician trying to show his strength by stating incorrectly and assumingly that Single Handed Openers are going to be part of the miscreant, gang banger, and criminal carry!

But this wasn’t enough. To add insult to injury the same German governmental politician laid out the same tired old excuse that somehow folding knives with locks are inherently more dangerous than folding knives with no locks. It is easy to see NONE of these people especially this politician making the laws have ever used a folding knife as a edged tool to do work: prepare food, cut fabric or lines or plants, worked on a sailing ship, worked in a factory or the like. No lock means no fingers: Without a lock all folding knives are inherently dangerous because under stress and duress it is simple to get an inadvertent closing of the blade on one’s finger or fingers. In reality the greatest safety device made was a lock for a folding knife. Knives have had safety locks since Napoleon’s time. Lock backs ruled the early 1800’s through the 1900’s. In the middle to late 1900’s a proliferation of great lock inventions happened. Folding knives were now getting really safe to use as every day tools. So in the name of public safety the Government and its lone bastion of knife sanity, this rogue politician is banning locks to ensure that folding knife users get maimed, cut or seriously injured. The sheer stupidity of this law is overwhelming. Of course stupidity and lack of logic from politicians and governments is nothing new and as a matter of fact this type of inane action is the norm.

Germany has decided to turn back the clock in a dramatic fashion: to a time where Governments make arbitrary decisions and laws not on the common good but on the whims of dangerous politicians. One can only hope this offends German citizens and the EU citizens enough to have new EU and German rulings banning such inane actions, decisions and laws.

To help Germany decide how correct this inane law is I’m sure the loss of billions of dollars in trade and tax revenues should help. The loss of industry and jobs and the loss of shows like IWA which will certainly flee a country dedicated to its destruction and values might point the way to the German Government. Of course cutting off one’s own nose to spite one’s own face seems to prevail more than common sense these days. It must be contagious as well: UK, OZ, and other countries have all forgotten the basic idea of safe tools and ownership and responsible use of edged tools and replaced that idea with repression and blame stating the apparently obvious observation that edged tools cause death, mayhem and crime.

Thank god I live in the USA where it is my constitutional right to bear and possess arms. Thank god for the recent ruling on the Second Amendment and my RIGHT to carry tools for self defense and the inherint right to use said tool!

be safe
Bram
www.CSSDSC.com

Last edited:
Wow. Germans should think themselves lucky! Us here in good old England, can only carry a sub 3 inch slip joint. Even then you are likely to be arrested and having to prove to a judge that you needed to carry it. There is also no right to defend yourself even with your fists. I'm in the process of trying to emigrate to NZ, failing that, anywhere. Get me out of here, this is madness!!!!!

Hi Bram:

Frightening, indeed. If those same politicians could ban brains, they would. They obviously have none, and are scared of those that do.

Best regards.

unfortunately its bound to happen here in the u.s. one day too. enjoy your freedom while you still have it. if anything that gets a lot of press happens involving a knife the majority of the population will willingly choose to ban knives too. the media just has to tell people it a good idea.

i have an idea, lets ban cars. every day those tings kill over 100 people a day.
ah no too much money involved and not to forget taxes

Germany has a weapons history, dating back to the early 1900's there have been bans on guns then they let them have guns again, then ban, then allow... just wait a few years and then they will probably sell you back your own knives.

Back