New knife

hey guys quick question I have been looking for a new edc for years I have a few items as possible choices
-Kershaw Launch ( probably launch 5)
-Griptilian ( probably full size)
-Kwaiken ( i need suggestions for a specific model)
but i also need other suggestions , go to war in the comments i need all the help I can get also just put in others that are not on this list I bow down to others knowledge and experience my price range is maximum or 120
thanks in advance guys!!

What will your daily usage be doing with it? Out of your listed choices, get the BM Griptillian.

A full size Griptilian is a great knife IMO. They are getting expensive though....

I would look at the Spyderco Endura. Also, the Manix 2 is a good value with a similar lock to the Benchmade.

Get a Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight. Awesome knife and the ergonomics cannot be beat. You also get steel choices and color choices.

Keep an eye out in the Exchange for a standard s30v Spyderco PM2. Should be able to snag one within your price range.

I would likely go with a standard Griptilian, or a Manix 2.

I know you said a Maximum of, but for slightly mkre:
Are you OK with caring for a carbon/tool steel? If so, go with an M4 Griptilian from the custom shop for around $150.

Spyderco stretch! Please do yourself a favor and try one out. If you want a knife that legitimately slices and cuts get one!

For heavier duty: CS Ultimate hunter

These are two of my favorites and absolutely most proven of my collection.

Another vote for the Endura 4 (FFG w/ZDP-189 if you can afford the upgraded steel):

Endura%20ZDP%202016%20a.jpg~original

This thread needs some photos . . . (and some mayhem) :
Here is what I think based on my present intoxication with certain products of late; and also based on my constant internal conflict between handle shape and lock release preference.

So :
Chose the lock you like best and buy the knife with the closest handle and blade type for your wants and needs. (my favorite lock release is on the Griptillian / I own a full size Ritter Griptillian).
That path leads to compromise and madness and possible financial ruin.
But
is more fun and interesting from a hobby stand point.

* Yes pick the lock, pick the knife . . . do . . . what a knife knut has got to do to get the knife. Price ? Details, details; to feel better about it divide the price by the number of days you will own it . . . pennies (or dollars) a day right ?
RIGHT.

But . . . and here is where enlightenment leads to freedom leads to happiness . . . of a sort . . . generally . . . in a NONknife hobby sort of way . . . so I hear :
If you don't care about the lock just buy four Buck 110 LTs and mod the blades or get them modded for you and use the knife, or two, that fit your needs of the day.

Two knives minimum in your case (I hear people have been able to function carrying only two knives poor sods).
Here is what I like; box knife for . . . well . . . boxes and stuff (evil box tape glue) and the Endura 4 for camping / food prep and about any other dang thing that gets in your way up to and including the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Taal.

One of these Gerber EABs for the box knife
IMG_3269.jpg

Spyderco Endura 4
Top knife in this photo. Granted it is a lock back but is a one hand releasable and foldable lock back
IMG_5033.jpg

here is where enlightenment leads to freedom leads to happiness . . . of a sort . . . generally . . . in a NONknife hobby sort of way . . . so I hear :
If you don't care about the lock just buy four Buck 110 LTs and mod the blades or get them modded for you and use the knife, or two, that fit your needs of the day.

The Buck 110 LT is the larger knife in this photo
~$30
perfect handle, perfect weight, really nice length, decent properly heat treated steel, strong enough (plenty), strong lock NOT A TOY.
IMG_5103.jpg

Then reshape the blades as needed some photos of modded knives bellow: leave as is for bush craft, thin a fair amount for food prep / camping, cut shorter and move the nail nick (see bellow ) for boxes and more controlled cutting similar to the Spyderco Delica Wharencliff in the second photo. The Delica is a super knife by the way to fill the role of box knife / detail cutter., see red asterisk above).
IMG_3340.jpg

A majorly thinned blade; the closest thing to a kwaiken that I have I really like this shape (blade and handle)
IMG_3720.jpg

Confused ? It's all part of the fun.

Last edited:
The BM Griptilian is my go to knife most of the time. Have had mine for years it can definitely take a beating. D2 steel is the one I have no complaints about it at all well worth the cash I paid for it.

I have a Griptilian 550 in my EDC rotation and I love the knife, but my recommendation if you get a Griptilian is to get one with G10 scales, which would put it outside your price range. The nylon scales that most Grips come with seem cheapo to me...

Based on the 3 you have there, I would go with the Griptilian. It is a great, no nonsense blade. In that category though, I would also look at the Spyderco Stretch, or the Cold Steel American Lawman. I actually have all 3, and all 3 share about the same amount of time in my front pocket.

I have a Griptilian 550 in my EDC rotation and I love the knife, but my recommendation if you get a Griptilian is to get one with G10 scales, which would put it outside your price range. The nylon scales that most Grips come with seem cheapo to me...
I agree... the base Grip scales look and feel super cheap. Thing is... IME they can really take a beating. I use my Grip (551?) a lot and the scales seem very durable. I greatly prefer G10 bit a G10 Grip is priced similar to many great knives that make the price tag hard to justify IMO.

For knives of that size and price range, my first choice would be the Spyderco Stretch, followed by the Endura or Griptilian.

Another to consider would be the BM Bugout. And, as someone has already said, if you can find a PM2 on the exchange in your price range, it would be my choice over any of these.

The only reason I am like these more than the Manix 2 is because the Manix 2 takes up a lot of real estate in the pocket and weighs significantly more, but if that is not an issue for you then the Manix 2 would be a good choice.

True - which is why I waited for a good deal on some aftermarket G10 scales that are really nice... voila! What had been a closet queen because I didn't care for the nylon scales suddenly became one of my very favorite knives!

BM_Grip_550_HGa.jpg

I agree... the base Grip scales look and feel super cheap. Thing is... IME they can really take a beating. I use my Grip (551?) a lot and the scales seem very durable. I greatly prefer G10 bit a G10 Grip is priced similar to many great knives that make the price tag hard to justify IMO.

Last edited:
Grip scales look and feel super cheap. Thing is... IME they can really take a beating. I use my Grip (551?) a lot and the scales seem very durable
Agreed. They are plenty durable; I've never run across a broken one in the forum.

You know, I would totally buy an Endura with a Delica Style Wharncliffe blade. It'd be amusingly large but hey I can live with that :D

Back