New Model - Survivor Jr. - What do you think?

Which would you prefer - longer? shorter? original?

• Longer blade

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shorter blade

• Original blade length (9")

• Total voters
Price depends a lot on steel thickness and type.

I can get A2 in 3/16" (0.188") or 1/4" (0.250")
I can get 3V in 0.210" or 0.276"

Here's an updated drawing:

attachment.php

I personally would be interested in 3/16 A2. :thumbup:

Andy

The Jr. in .210" 3V with green canvas micarta sounds muy bueno.:thumbup:

Right now I'm leaning very strongly to 1/4" A2.

I can get the A2 quicker
1/4" really isn't going to add that much weight with a full flat grind and drilled out tang, but it will add a TON of dimensional stability. Huge payoff that will justify the extra cost and work. (everything will cost more/tak longer....:()

Don't forget...the blade is a little over 2 inches at the widest point....that a lotta knife!!

Dan

Dan,
I suggest a more thick tip. I had the SR and, for such beast, the tip was too thin. Also if it was 9" long, the chopping was safe only for 4/6 of the edge lenght, loosing a good amount of power. While chopping is really easy to introduce torsions: as result I had the tip bent more times.
Can you try to keep the spine a little bit thicker also for this size ?

Dan,
I suggest a more thick tip. I had the SR and, for such beast, the tip was too thin. Also if it was 9" long, the chopping was safe only for 4/6 of the edge lenght, loosing a good amount of power. While chopping is really easy to introduce torsions: as result I had the tip bent more times.
Can you try to keep the spine a little bit thicker also for this size ?

I couldn't agree more. I received my knife a couple weeks ago, and I have used it HARD and I mean HARD HARD, and the tip did bend on me.

When I get a heavy chopper, one thing I do is to stab it into a tree as hard as I can, NOT pounding it in, just stabbing it in with my strength and I'm no ox, and I want to be able pry it out without any trouble at all.

The tip on this knife went in about an inch or so, and this tree was dead and the outside rotten and soft, and when I started to pry, I could feel it bending and I stopped. When I pulled it out, it was bent.

Just for reference, I measured the thickness of the blade .100'' from the tip and it was .035'' thick. I then measured several other heavy choppers I have, made from makers on here as well as others, and their tips are running .070'' to .075'' thick when measured .100'' back from the tip. They don't bend at all ever not even a tiny bit no matter how deep you pound them into wood. To be honest, I actually tried to break a few of them and I couldn't even with a cheater pipe. Those knives I trust without any doubt at all.

It's a great knife design, but that tip needs to be at least twice as thick. If this was a hunting or skinning knife, the tip would be perfect. For a beast of a chopper, double the thickness at the tip.

Besides, it's less grinding and you can get them done faster. ;)

I agree with the heavier tip. I had a full size survivor and agere that it would have been nice to have the knife thicker toward the tip.

I just measured mine again, and it reaches .075'' thick at .540'' back from the tip. Almost five and a half times further back than my other choppers I measured, before it reached the same blade thickness they did at .100'' from the tip.

I even measured my TOPS Trace Rinaldi knife just now and it's .081'' thick but has a black coating on it.

Again, a great design, just make the needed mod to the next batch and life will be good.

I would also like to see 3v used instead of A2.

Yes...I can look at leaving it thicker at the tip.

Nope. I ran out of steel. I will have my waterjet guy cut one from mild steel for me...I got other knives I"m getting cut as well...wouldn't kill me to add one more. LOL

Dan

hopefully by Feb, '11 if I can get a prototype that feels/looks great.

:thumbup:

Dan

Ok - looks like I'm going to be able to get a pretty decent prototype for the Survivor Jr now.

I had one cut and it came in this week. I was able to make some minor adjustments here-n-there and I think it's finally ready to go. Just one more prototype from the waterjet guy to *seal the deal* and we'll let 'er rip.

I might even be able to start this one sometime in December - that would be cool :cool: !

Dan

I'd be down for one... Once I get the Other Koster Goodies out of the way!! Looking forward to some nice Kustom Kosters...

I could be in for the shorter one depending on weight. Looks nice!

Last edited:
Back