New Spyderco-Exclusive Steel CPM SPY27

SPY27 looks great to me as long as it is heat treated well.
The thing I am not liking is the price.

Am I correct that the Para3 lightweight in SPY27 is 40 bucks more than the BD1N version?
It just needs to give you 40% more edge life, stain resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening.

Much appreciated because there is a severe shortage of "Doers" in the world. :D

cwE86n3.jpg

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'll error on the "Do" side.

BHQ interviewed Eric at SHOT show, uploaded today. At 3:55 he says SPY27 performance tests place it around S30V. I don't know if I can link it.

He also mentioned in the video that they wanted to start with adding cobalt, and move from there. This could end up being a really cool user developed steel (over some period of time) but peeps are mad :oops:

I will nod my head approvingly and pretend I understand the charts and metal particle thingy stuff.

It can surely be overwhelming but we can break down and unpack it a little bit. No need to dive too deep just to try understanding the basic concept.

When you melt metal, you have all your different elements that will comprise the final alloy added in together. You can pour that metal out into individual molds to form billets/ingots or in some cases let it solidify in the melting crucible. This is sorta like ice cream in reverse. Imagine a big bowl of melted chocolate chip ice cream. If you pour that into say four small bowels and toss them into the freezer to harden, it is difficult to control the quantity of chips that will end up in each bowel. Further, the chips will just sort of disperse and settle randomly within each bowel. When folks talk about homogeneity that's what their talking about. The more evenly and equally distributed all the tiny little elements are, the better.

In powder metallurgy, they basically still melt all those elements together but then they turn that material into powder. So now everything is super fine and the particles are round, not jagged, so they will pack in tight. Then they blend that all up in the powder form (I think they blend for steels - I might be wrong on this part). This process really helps ensure that homogeneity because everything is so fine and so evenly dispersed. Now, you put that blended powder into a "sealed" die and apply a bunch of heat and pressure to form it back into a solid. Imagine trying to build a sandcastle with gravel rather beach sand. Here you're using that beach sand. Everything packs in so tightly that it becomes one solid piece of material. Then you have sorta the Superman turning coal into diamonds in his super strong hands kind of thing.

Both processes give you a solid alloyed piece of metal but the powder process will give you a much more refined and homogeneous piece of that same material.

I hope that helps some. Not trying to be condescending in anyway with my analogies. Just trying to think of ideas people can relate to.

Larrin Larrin how'd I do?

It can surely be overwhelming but we can break down and unpack it a little bit. No need to dive too deep just to try understanding the basic concept.

When you melt metal, you have all your different elements that will comprise the final alloy added in together. You can pour that metal out into individual molds to form billets/ingots or in some cases let it solidify in the melting crucible. This is sorta like ice cream in reverse. Imagine a big bowl of melted chocolate chip ice cream. If you pour that into say four small bowels and toss them into the freezer to harden, it is difficult to control the quantity of chips that will end up in each bowel. Further, the chips will just sort of disperse and settle randomly within each bowel. When folks talk about homogeneity that's what their talking about. The more evenly and equally distributed all the tiny little elements are, the better.

In powder metallurgy, they basically still melt all those elements together but then they turn that material into powder. So now everything is super fine and the particles are round, not jagged, so they will pack in tight. Then they blend that all up in the powder form (I think they blend for steels - I might be wrong on this part). This process really helps ensure that homogeneity because everything is so fine and so evenly dispersed. Now, you put that blended powder into a "sealed" die and apply a bunch of heat and pressure to form it back into a solid. Imagine trying to build a sandcastle with gravel rather beach sand. Here you're using that beach sand. Everything packs in so tightly that it becomes one solid piece of material. Then you have sorta the Superman turning coal into diamonds in his super strong hands kind of thing.

Both processes give you a solid alloyed piece of metal but the powder process will give you a much more refined and homogeneous piece of that same material.

I hope that helps some. Not trying to be condescending in anyway with my analogies. Just trying to think of ideas people can relate to.

I don't make ice cream so I'll have to take your word for it. I do like to eat ice cream though.

SPY27 looks great to me as long as it is heat treated well.
The thing I am not liking is the price.

Am I correct that the Para3 lightweight in SPY27 is 40 bucks more than the BD1N version?

Street price seems to be $42 higher. MSRP is $140 for base knife and $200 for SPY27.

Do you normally have bowels full of ice cream in your freezer?

I think he said it performs in the "S30V family" rather than equal to S30V.
I felt weird calling it a family (not sure what should fall in that, industry wide), so just went for "around" since we don't have it in the wild yet to check out.

Sal sent me a piece of SPY27 for knife testing.

2DOMS1E.jpg

I'll be building the heat treat myself and cutting coupons to build hardness curves with different tempertures so I can select the direction I want for a custom heat treat protocol.

Afterwards, I'll make custom knife and see what she can do.

SPY27 has a lot of potential for high sharpeness, strength and edge stability.

Very excited to see how well it takes an edge compared to the new CPM S45VN I have, as well as comparing to favorites like Vanax etc.

Should be fun. Great time to be a knife guy.

-Shawn

nsm nsm
@Sal Glesser

2DOMS1E.jpg

I'll be building the heat treat myself and cutting coupons to build hardness curves with different tempertures so I can select the direction I want for a custom heat treat protocol.

Very excited to see how well it takes an edge compared to the new CPM S45VN I have, as well as comparing to favorites like Vanax etc.

-Shawn

nsm nsm
@Sal Glesser
This ^^^ is why I hang around this joint.:)
Looking forward to all of this.:thumbsup:

2DOMS1E.jpg

-Shawn

nsm nsm
@Sal Glesser

Sweet! :thumbsup:

I've read the article, and those are predictions based on fairly decent software. I know enough of spyderco history to expect they wouldn't be doing this unless it's an improvement.

I think you hit the nail smack dab on the head. I'll explain.

We love knives and my guess is that most of you can spout alloy additives and percentages in your sleep. However, "Spyderco" runs a business. They might be confused by tens of thousands of preppers all ordering premium NASA alloy axe-heads, but if there's a profit there (and they can beat the competition to the street) Spyderco will trumpet the move.

"We at Spyderco feel your desperate need to behead the enemy in TEOTWAWKI, and we want you to know that our corporation has your back when mushroom clouds light up the night sky! You find a marauder with a donut and all you have to say is, "Hand over the cruller, pal--this is a Spyderco."

Before you laugh, while I was still in college at the age of 19 I participated in the formation of real-deal advertising campaign. If you had the superior "weirdness" you got a raise. After all, millions of buyers where listening to you, whether you were a kid or not...

Back