New Spyderco-Exclusive Steel CPM SPY27

Wait, does this also apply to the k390 delica/endura? I would be stoked if that were a regularly available item. Would much prefer k390 to zdp-189. In fact, spy27 and k390 being regularly available across their American and Japanese lineup... I might end up with some more spydercos.

That's what it looks like. The Reveal catalogs this year are specifically divided into different sections, apparently based on availability. The first one is "Reveal," which includes new models and new "standard" variations on existing models (e.g. black blade. Then there's "Flash Batch" which is a "distinctive one-time-only event." Then they have the "Sprint Run" section, which is existing models in limited production steel/color variants.

The fact that Reveal 4 (from early this year) had the K390 Ladybug and SPY27 Manix 2 LW and Para 3 LW in the Reveal section, followed by the Byrd Harrier Reveal, then the Flash Batch section, then the REX45 Sprint Runs, strongly suggests that K390 and SPY27 are not Sprint Runs and will be added to the regular full-availability product line.

In Reveal 5, the SPY27 Native 5 LW and Mule Team are in the Reveal section followed by 4 more pages of Reveal Section. They mix it up by having a new header for "K390 Models" (Delica, Dragonfly, Endura, Manbug) but then it goes back to "Reveal" for two more pages (Pacific Salt 2 and new Byrd Harrier stainless-handle variants) before switching to the "Sprint Run" header. Oddly, the last page goes back to "Reveal" for the Swick neck knives, which might have been a late addition that got put in the back so as to not cut out their "artsy" photo spreads (the Pochi-as-pigs on p.2 and the dirtbike riding up a Swayback on p.6) while also not requiring too much re-working of the layout.

My guess is that K390 will be used in the high-volume Seki City knives (i.e. the 5 that have been revealed) and SPY27 will be used in the US-made models. Those models being made regularly in K390 would be a significant development, since those models have never been made in non-Japanese steel in large numbers (the Ladybug 3 and Manbug have never been produced in any non-Japanese steel; the first variants of the Endura 4 and Dragonfly 2 without Japanese steel were this year's S30V dealer exclusives for MGE Wholesale; the Delica 4 has had limited-run dealer exclusives in S30V, M390, and Cru-Wear).

I'm just happy to see so much love for high wear resistant steels. :D
It's certainly more difficult to make thin blades out of so it's nice to see some love for it.

Don't forget CPM 15v ;)

I skimmed the whole thread and did not see it mentioned... Would it be better to draw comparisons of SPY-27 with CTS-XHP?

Compositionally the obvious difference are the Cobalt addition as well as a different balance of carbide forming ingredients.

How would they stack against each other in use?

Screenshot_20200515-160012_Knife Steel Compositions.jpg

SPY27 is basically an improved American version of VG10.

0zMQnCA.png

I couldn't t skim all 9 pages. From what I did read, I m not sure what SPY27 adds to the lineup of steels currently available.

I think it all depends on the heat treat and final hardness. With the added V and Nb, it will definitely outclass VG-10 when cutting abrasive materials, and be close to S35VN. With the reports of higher possible edge stability, if they run this at a little higher hardness (61-62) this will be a winner in my book. Good abrasion resistance coupled with higher edge stability.

I couldn't t skim all 9 pages. From what I did read, I m not sure what SPY27 adds to the lineup of steels currently available.

What it seems to add over some other steels in it's class is additional strength at the apex due in part to higher hardness.

This matters the moment you start cutting into sand contaminated materials such as dirty cardboard. The difference is that you either have spots on the apex that reflect back light, or you dont.

The wear resistance of a steel doesn't matter a whole lot if the apex cant hold its shape.

It’s going to be tougher and easier to sharpen than S30V due to less vanadium but be pretty close on wear resistance since niobium carbides form easily and are very hard and small.

Another great writeup.

Thanks for all your hard work to make the rest of us a little smarter!

Back