New Takedown "Eastern Firestorm" - Lotsa pics.

WARNING - LOTS OF PICTURES. (600kB total)

Here's my latest incarnation of my "Eastern Firestorm". I call my compact forged Bowie-style knives "Firestorms" and the "Eastern" version involves some liberal use of Japanese sword styling and influences to give a East-meets-West knife. This one is a well overdue custom order for a forumite.

Starting with a billet of Shawn McIntyre random pattern 1084/15N20 damascus, I forged it out formore length. I didn't bother forming the tip and just ground it to shape later on. This was supposed to a pictorial essay from forging through to finishing, but I butchered most of the pics... Will have to wait for the next project.

7.5inch blade, flat ground with swedge, brass stylised habaki, sculpted steel guard with steel & brass spacer or "seppa". Tasmanian Oak (actually a eucalypt spp.) mortised handle with black rayskin & twist wrap. In the pictures the handle hasn't been epoxied yet. It comes apart with a turned 416SS pin & locks tight when pinned back together. The sheath is a simple dark brown snapped scabbard but was in one of the lost photos.

Opinions and feedback always welcomed. Thanks for looking. Jason.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

That is a DAMN fine blade.
Worthy of the finest knifemakers out there.
Congratulation, I absolutely love it!

From you, Jason, I would have expected no less! That art is a piece of work---or should I say, that work is a piece of art? Either way, GREAT! ---Sandy---

Incredible knife Jason....don't know if I should call it a Bowie or what???? It confuses me and I like that.

It has so many different things working with it....I have to go back and keep looking.

SUPER NICE! :D

That just made my jaw drop, what a cool knife :eek: .
Best blend between japanese and western style I have seen.
Love everything about it, especially the damascus, shape of the blade and the guard.:thumbup: :thumbup:

I know I need to ask for the price which means I can`t afford it :D

Very very nice.

/Magnus

holy moly!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: That is exceptional work -- perfect ricasso size too. ;)

Great work, Jason......as usual! :cool:

I know mine is an exemplary piece of your work......:)

i love it...really like the East/West theme.

hmmm...you mentioned it's for a forumite...i wondering if that's mine :)

MAN YOUR STUFF BLOWS ME AWAY
I NEED TO GET ONE OF YOUR LARGE KNIVES

saint did you say that might be yourS? bastard

One of the nicest things ive seen in a while....at least for my personal taste....LOVE the eastern guard and handle....

Great design Jason. One small recommendation would be a smaller, lighter habaki. But overall, great design and great concept.

Wow, thanks. Those responses came in just the last 24hours ! I haven't even had a chance to post on some of the other forums yet... :eek:

BTW, I may have mentioned this piece is VERY overdue, for its recipient. The "other" forumites who are wondering if this one might be theirs, hang on... yours are next. ;) :D

Thought I'd mention also, what you see features the 2nd guard and the 3rd habaki. I wrecked the first tries on both. The second habaki I did was a longer, thinner one, more like a traditional Japanese habaki, but it just didn't look good at all for some reason. I still haven't figured out bending and soldering the copper / brass sheets for habaki, so the habaki you see is drilled, filed and ground from a solid bar of yellow brass.

Thanks again. Jason.

That's an amazing knife (the best looking I've ever seen?)! Incredibly eye candy, and looks highly functional as well. I'd want one, but I'd just use it to open cans then lose it running around at night.

untamed said:
Fusing east and west really can produce a thing of beauty sometimes!
As a half-Asian, I can authoritatively confirm this. :D

Jason - excellent work!

I just love takedown blades. I need some encouragement to start one of my own! This just might be it. :thumbup:

Back