New Takedown "Eastern Firestorm" - Lotsa pics.

It cuts just fine, Greg. Good old 1084/15N20 damascus from Shawn is hardworking steel if required. Did the usual file test after quenching, edge flex test, whack some wood, then dulled the edge with a Scotchbrite belt before hand finishing. Honestly, I didn't do the whole 2x4 chop with this one before finishing it up, just whacked it hard on hardwood (seasoned redgum sleepers) to ensure the damascus holds up and there wasn't any edge chipping. I still have to put back an edge on this one before sending it out. Jason.

That is a great knife. It is one of the best blendings of east and west that I have ever seen.

Just terrific Jason! :D

I think the only thing I would like to see on it, MIGHT be a thinner habaki... but this one is very stylish and fits the knife well.

Terrific!!! :D

NickWheeler said:
I think the only thing I would like to see on it, MIGHT be a thinner habaki.
Dude, no way... The habaki on that thing is perfect... now, What's a habaki?....
Just kidding.
Since I really love this knife, I will take a second to post my personal opinion, IF I were going to buy this knife, which I'm not, I think I would prefer a different menuki. The feathers aren't really interesting to me, I prefer to see animals, or something else. Perhaps the feathers mean something significant to you or your buyer.
Please don't take the wrong way, I am posting this because I think the knife is so awesome, and this is only my preference.

Thanks for all the replies and the feedback. Noone should have to apologise for constructive criticism, opinions and advice...:thumbup: All points taken and "filed" for reference.

The first habaki I did was long and thin, and I felt it looked good on a sword (long handle), but on a short handle the shorter habaki seemed to suit better. In any case, I accidentally crushed the habaki in a moment of utter stupidity, so its a moot point anyway ! :D Nick, I'll take your point that it could be slimmer, though... Haven't figured out soldering, so this was drilled, filed and shaped from a solid bar of brass.

Ahhh, time to learn to make my own menuki, huh ? I like dragons and other mythical beasts. :)

Again, thanks for the feedback. What would I do without it ? Jason.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but I'm sure you know there are various sources of premade menuki out there. I think Bugai has some. BTW, again, what I've said was only an opinion, and I have been known to be in the minority from time to time. :D

ok i keep coming back to this thread...it really is a beautiful design. each one gets better and better. but for my taste...as in for my knife, i would want the traditional silk ito wrap. :D

Man this is a great knife!! RESPECT.

Love everything about it, especially the takedown feature.

greetings Toni

First off, as a fan of all things Japanese, let me say that this Eastern Firestorm fires *me* up!! :D:thumbup: Great design and magnificent execution.

The only qualm I had with it was the large opening IMHO in the lower guard. I like more comprehensive coverage of my finger, plus the larger bearing surface, offered by a more-solid tsuba.

Originally posted by Jason Cutter
Ahhh, time to learn to make my own menuki, huh ? I like dragons and other mythical beasts.

Originally posted by Walking Man
...there are various sources of premade menuki out there. I think Bugai has some.
Check out the pre-made menuki (including dragons ;) ) from Fred Lohman at the link below. His site has lots of other Japanese blade-making accessories as well.

http://www.japanese-swords.com/menuki-gallery/frameset.htm

Again, that's a beauty, just like so many other of your knives whose pictures I archived for their beautiful workmanship.

Jason, definitely one of the finest blades I have seen in recent months.
I was down in Melbourne only last week. I regret not having the chance to drop by to visit you. My schedule was too tight.
I am sure there will be another opportunity. Next time, we must meet and talk shop.
By the way, Melbourne is one great city. Great weather, fine food, marvellous scenery and nice hats (Crocodile Dundee!).

And I thought that earlier take-done Firestorm was amazing (which it was)!

This one is even better.
I really like the tsuba, and the heavy duty habaki really does it for me.

Could you make a habaki like that out of damascus?
I think a standard forged (non-damascus) blade with a damascus habaki and tsuba would look great!

Again superb work,
B.

Thanks B.

Damascus would be a superb idea, nickel damascus I wouldn't use for blades would go perfectly for what you're suggesting. Thanks for the ideas. Jason.

Jason Cutter
Knifemaker, Australia.
Jason Cutter Bladeart
www.jcbknives.com

Back