New Talwars in 35vn?

Nothing here, I'm waiting for these to come to market as well. I wonder what the hold up is? I almost bought an older Aus8 model but decided to wait for the newer steel to come out.

I would like to grab both the plain edge and the serrated, but I won't spend the two fifty I see listed on the pre orders.

I see a used XHP , blunted to make a "trainer" on Ebay for $150 .

Maybe could be sharpened , but the point is gone . :(

The SR1 tanto is calling my namešŸ˜ŽšŸ˜‹

I can't believe how they have gone up in price, bought this one new no box for $45 shipped.

View attachment 1577387
Amazing deal, good for you. Yes, some prices, even for common models, have really jumped with some 2021 product. It certainly seems like the new owners of C.S. are milking it for all it's worth. One other tangential querie. I apologize for the side track, O.P. Despite the insane price bumps, do you think that Mr. Thompson wanted to go out with a bang of product pride ? Do you think that he had the foresight to see the end coming, and was giving his dedicated product appreciators a last swipe at some of his greatest products in very high end steel ? A swan song of sorts ? It feels like an interesting correlation between the sell off and a sun set burst of intensely tough steel, thinking 3v in particular.......Despite the new ownership prices.

Last edited:
Amazing deal, good for you. Yes, some prices, even for common models, have really jumped with some 2021 product. It certainly seems like the new owners of C.S. are milking it for all it's worth. One other tangential querie. I apologize for the side track, O.P. Despite the insane price bumps, do you think that Mr. Thompson wanted to go out with a bang of product pride ? Do you think that he had the foresight to see the end coming, and was giving his dedicated product appreciators a last swipe at some of his greatest products in very high end steel ? A swan song of sorts ? It feels like an interesting correlation between the sell off and a sun set burst of intensely tough steel, thinking 3v in particular.......Despite the new ownership prices.
Good deal not great at the time, this was years ago, also AUS 8A(which I do like).
Your Thompson question: Interesting thought but I could probably imagine many possibilities and still be way off the mark.

A quick bump back up for this one!

Has anyone got one yet? I see they are shipping?

My gut tells me that if they were, in fact, shipping, that they would be piling up at retailers as fast as they arrive. I think that comparatively few people will be willing to spend that much money on a Talwar -- including Cold Steel fans. Hell, the reason many of us are Cold Steel fans in the first place is because we want value for our money. Lynn Thompson made a point of delivering a great knife at an amazing price -- and he made sure that everyone, including people with very little money, could afford a great tool or weapon. It is one of the things I really respect about the man.

I agree, I think the price should be about $150-170 max. I would still like a s35vn one to go with my xhp coyote brown...

CS prices are way off, just look at the old ad15 and the new ad15 lite! nuts!

My gut tells me that if they were, in fact, shipping, that they would be piling up at retailers as fast as they arrive. I think that comparatively few people will be willing to spend that much money on a Talwar -- including Cold Steel fans. Hell, the reason many of us are Cold Steel fans in the first place is because we want value for our money. Lynn Thompson made a point of delivering a great knife at an amazing price -- and he made sure that everyone, including people with very little money, could afford a great tool or weapon. It is one of the things I really respect about the man.

This is pure speculation but maybe he got out of the game because he couldn't sustain such great pricing. I've looked at and compared pricing from back in the day to recently (pre GSM) and honestly the pricing hasn't gone up much (if at all on some models) despite all the so called "inflation" and expense (labor, materials, energy, facilities) increases basically everyother company uses to justify price hikes. Again, pure speculation.

One thing is for sure, Lynn Thompson's Cold Steel will be missed greatly. They were likely the greatest knife and tool company of my lifetime. Hard use items (proven not just claimed), hardcore designs that no one else has the balls to offer on a large scale, the strongest (quickly and easily manipulated) folding knife lock mechanism ever devised..oh yeah did I mention extremely reasonable pricing that made these items accessible to nearly everyone? I can only hope that someone will follow his model and the gap that has been left.

I got one today. Always fun getting a new blade.

If the 4 inch version becomes available again Iā€™ll get one of those too.

Compared to what Spyderco , Benchmade , ZT etc would charge these days for this Talwar , $150 or even $175 really isn't too unreasonable , IMO .

I'd be sorely tempted at anything under about $150 USD .

got my one the otherday. I must say its the best fit and finish of any CS folders and not the custom series that I have ever had! perfect. no unfinished bits in the blade crevices like many others... the edge is the most even and accurate yet, sharpening man was on top form that day :)

no left clip as other have said.... love it just like my tan black xhp one but not so keen on my aus8 standard size one as it feel too small...

Back