- Well made and assembled. On par with or better than any of the Lynn Thompson CS folders I have.
- The pivot is on the tight side but the action is smooth.
- Blade is centered and the grinds/bevels are symetrical and flawless. It is ridiculously sharp out of the box, like hair popping sharp.
- It appears that all of the features of previous models are present (such as jimping on both the handle and lock bar) with the exception of an included left hand clip, it did not include one.
- The blade is marked with the latest CS logo but the box has the previous offset CS logo and has the Ventura CA adress on the back.
- I picked it up for much, much less than msrp but I still would have liked to see it at $150 or prefferably under. If I would have had a CTS XHP version, I wouldn't have purchased this. That being said, it is made with a significant amount more S35VN and G10 than something like the Black Talon II which goes for around $100-$125 depending on where you look.
I do not but this guy in the vid has all kinds of Talwar XL's. He compares the older to the new S35VN Talwars.
He doesn't get into differences in packaging though. It does appear that they may have had old boxes left over or used the same file as the older boxes to have new ones printed up. Maybe nobody bothered to check to see that the file (design) was current? Maybe they were trying to save money by not updating it?There are a few interesting things regarding the box:
- Box has the previous "offset" CS logo yet the blade is marked with the latest logo.
- They have the Ventura CA address still on the back.
- There are less total "social media" icons on the back of the box v.s. other recent boxes e.g. no "google +" icon. There are others which are not present on the box which I cannot remember off the top of my head.
BTW, if anyone wants a left handed clip for a new Talwar, the current Voyager XL clips are identical and fit perfectly. I'm really happy with mine and if a 4 inch version materializes I'll buy that too.
Now we just need the Recon XL to be brought back!
I have one of the older AUS 8 Recon Xls. I was planning on stripping the paint, but I was afraid it would look sloppy, so I never did.
I think satin American lawmen, Recons, and Recon XLs would be pretty unbeatable.