New to collecting... Hell of a forum you have here! *updated*

Just ordered the Norton Crystolon and some honing oil (probably not needed but whatever)... It's probably time to step back and become familiar with all my toys before I purchase anything else. I just sold the Code 4, Blur Black, and the Rat 2, so I'm at least keeping the number of knives I own under control, lol.

I think I've got just about everything I need for a sharpening/maintenance setup. Does it look like I'm missing anything?

Time, patience, and some bladeforum threads haha. Have fun!

Yea... Patience isn't a strong point of mine, lol. Maybe learning to sharpen will help me with that. I've been reading darn near thread that's been posted in the General knife Discussion, I think I need to start branching out though.

....And I just picked up a Wharncliffe Delica off of the exchange, haha! I'm going to sell the standard Delica I have though, so it won't be costing me much.

I just made an account here the other day (although I've been lurking for a few months) and I'm enjoying myself immensely. The sheer amount of knowledge on this forum is astounding and I want to say thanks to everyone who contributes (paid membership incoming to go along with that thanks too).

Going back to when I was a small child, I've always been fascinated with knives (small, folding, every day carries in particular), but I never made it a point to collect them. I just recently had shoulder surgery, so I've decided to take up a less active hobby and since I've always had an interest in knives, I thought this would be perfect! I also work in the Meat Department at Costco so I'm starting to appreciate having better steel (we just use a Victorinox 12" straight butcher and a Victorinox 8" curved breaking knife for the subprimals, but we open dozens of boxes a day so a good folder is highly prized).

My collecting is literally just starting but I'd love a little advice/direction! Here's where I'm at so far with my meager "collection";

Gerber Gator
Given to me by my little brother before he went overseas so it has a lot of sentimental value, but I actually love this thing. The grip is super comfy and the steel is so soft I almost feel like I know what I'm doing when I sharpen it. It sits in my tackle box most of the time. The blade is prone to chipping which is lame.

Opinel No. 7 Carbon
Given to me by one of my college professors after she asked if she could use one of my essays as an example for future classes (she loved Pablo Picasso). This thing is SHARP! I mainly use it for eating apples because it just feels... right?

Gerber Air Ranger (two of these)
SOG Field Pup (my fiance's technically)
SOG Seal Pup Elite (satin, straight edge)

These were an impulse buy from Cabelas for my fiance and myself right before a camping trip a few years ago (before I even knew about this forum, so be merciful). They were having a Christmas/clearance sale and I purchased all four of these for under $73 total... After tax! No regrets! The Air Ranger's were actually a nice surprise. The steel is absolute trash and I hate that they are partially serrated (seemed like a good idea at the time), but they have really smooth action and a great build quality for a $10 knife. I can actually deploy them MUCH faster than any of the assisted openers I own. I paid about $11 for the Field Pup (fiance's full tang for camping) and for that price, I find it a pretty sweet knife! We lucked out and happened to get one with AUS 8 instead of 7Cr17Mov which is cool. It's very comfortable in the hand and most importantly my fiance loves having it (in case of bears or snakes she says). I paid around $36 for the SOG Seal Pup Elite and it's... Ok. Nothing to write home about and I'm sure I could have gotten more for my money, even at that price. It feels good in the hand and is easy to sharpen though. Both SOGs have great wet weather handles which was important to us since we tend to camp year round in the Pacific Northwest.

Now we get to the knives that I picked up over the last few days since I started "collecting"

Kershaw Leek (Sandvick steel)
Wow! What a fun knife! My (soon to be) father in law received one for Christmas and I thought it was pretty cool. I purchased one locally for $26 to open boxes with at work and have quickly fallen in love with it (the pointy tip is great for boxes and it's unintimidating look is perfect for Costco). I really have this knife to thank getting me interested in knives again... I've only been able to use one arm since the surgery so I've been flicking this open a lot and it's a BLAST, lol. Way more fun than a fidget spinner.

Kershaw Leek Carbon Fiber (CPM 154)
My fiance, seeing how much I loved the original Leek, decided to get this for me as a surprise post operation gift (see why I'm marrying her?). It'll be here Monday and I'm very excited! I'll be passing the original Leek down to my fiance of course... Although I think I'll pick up another regular Leek for myself shortly since the CF is a liner lock with a flat grind and the original is a frame lock with a hollow grind.

Kershaw Blur (S30V)
I purchased this as a Birthday (3/28!) gift for myself locally for $64 before tax (what a DEAL) and I LOVE it. I'm a little intimidated by the curve when it comes to sharpening, but the steel should be hard enough that it won't need more than a hone and strop here and there.

Kershaw Blur (black, Sandvick steel)
Saw this for sale for $30 secondhand (but brand new, in box) and I couldn't pass it up. Before I started learning about the different steels, this is the Blur I originally wanted. It should give me a chance to practice sharpening a curved blade without screwing up my S30V Blur. :)

Victorinox Swiss Army Compact
I always had a Swiss Army on me as a kid, so I wanted something simple, nostalgic, and useful in an urban setting. This fits the bill PERFECT (the pen is such a fantastic addition).

Any ideas of where I should go from here? The next thing I purchase will probably be a Stropman strop as they may be hard to get soon. :(
After that I think I want to pick up a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Some of the knives I'm keeping an eye on for flash sales/deep discounts include;

Swiss Army Farmer Alox
Swiss Army 1
Spyderco Delica
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Spyderco Manix
Kershaw Leek Composite (I know, I know but I love these things)
Benchmade Griptillian
Cold Steel Code 4
Leatherman Wave+ (or Charge TTI if the price is right)
Custom Buck 110 (My great grandfather had one of these when I was a kid and I always thought was a great looking knife).
Buck Vantage Pro
Ontario Rat in D2 (undecided which)
Morakniv Companion or Bushcraft
Svord Peasant Knife

Also... If I'm understanding the tiers of the paid memberships... I can purchase knives from people on the forum with the Basic $10 membership (private message access), but if I wanted to sell a knife, I need the $30 Gold membership. Is that correct?

Thanks everyone!

P.S.
I blame the post operative pain killers for the length of this post.

Edit*
Updated with a picture of the "family"!

View attachment 886039

Edit #2*
Updated with new additions!

View attachment 901880
View attachment 901881
View attachment 901882
View attachment 901883
View attachment 901884
View attachment 901885
View attachment 901897
View attachment 901890
View attachment 901891

Hey Fixall Fixall , I'm super new to all of this too!! :)

I just got an Opinel No. 8 Stainless steel and I am really enjoying it. It is SUPER sharp. And my all-time favorite knife (so far, anyways :)) is the Buck 110!! ^_^

I love Kershaw too. I want a Leek Carbon Fiber so badly! ^_~ Anyways, nice to meet you, and I hope you have as much fun here as I have been having! :) Everybody is super knowledgeable, willing to help and give advice, very nice and always patient with me. :]

Have a great Wednesday! :)

~ Sparkly

PS: My friend @gundude73 got me this gold membership because he is awesome and wanted to help me learn more about my new found hobby!! ^_^ I know that I have the ability to sell and trade with my gold membership, which is very cool.

Knice little start you got there!

Sounds eerily similar to my own membership here a few years back... and I still love my Blurs!!! (And still keep my S&W in my car as a backup).

In any case, welcome, enjoy, definitely get the Sharpening system and strop you like, you'll need it.

Definitely get a Buck 110.

My personal favorite SAK's are the huntsman and the classic, just throwing that out there. Other then that, have fun and cut stuff!!!

New knife day!

The Kershaw Leek Composite I ordered came in yesterday while I was working a late shift. It's pretty sweet! I love the vein of copper running through the blade that separates the two steels. I do wish the copper vein was slightly thicker, but I'm sure that would probably compromise the integrity of the blade with how soft copper is. Overall, I love it and it will be going in the permanent collection. :)

aVBANsq.jpg

Another package arrived a couple hours ago! I received such fantastic customer service from Dave over at @kershawguy with my m390 Link and Dividend that I decided to order another knife from him. :D I have been waiting for a Kershaw Skyline in Alabama Damascus to show up on the market and he just happened to have some in stock for $69! It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It takes a small amount of wrist flick to get it to fire all the way, but I'm hoping to get it a little smoother with a little maintenance. Because the acid etch can fade with use and because Alabama Damascus tends to rust somewhat easily, I think this will end up being my first "safe queen". I just don't think I'd be able to bring myself to use it. Either way, it'll definitely be be staying with me!

tNuWuf1.jpg

What a good day. As I was posting this, another package came! Looks like the Norton Crystolon 100/280 Combo Stone and sharpening oil is here! Looks like it's time to get started on the Mora. :)

JIajDVb.jpg

Hey Fixall Fixall , I'm super new to all of this too!! :)

I just got an Opinel No. 8 Stainless steel and I am really enjoying it. It is SUPER sharp. And my all-time favorite knife (so far, anyways :)) is the Buck 110!! ^_^

I love Kershaw too. I want a Leek Carbon Fiber so badly! ^_~ Anyways, nice to meet you, and I hope you have as much fun here as I have been having! :) Everybody is super knowledgeable, willing to help and give advice, very nice and always patient with me. :]

Have a great Wednesday! :)

~ Sparkly

PS: My friend @gundude73 got me this gold membership because he is awesome and wanted to help me learn more about my new found hobby!! ^_^ I know that I have the ability to sell and trade with my gold membership, which is very cool.

Hey! Yea, I've seen a couple of your threads recently. Welcome to the forums! I was actually just getting ready to post in your Opinel thread since I've been doing some work to my No. 7.

I've quickly become infatuated with Kershaw's budget, American-made lines with higher end steels. You can get a whole lot of knife for your money and I haven't found many comparable offerings. My Leek Carbon Fiber is most most prized knife right now (probably helps that it came from my fiance). I really can't say a bad thing about it. The fit and finish is incredible (the CF looks SO good). The detent is nice and soft while still being secure. The SpeedSafe even feels more satisfying than on my other Leeks. I've had to stop myself from playing with it too often so I don't wear out the torsion bar, lol.

I'm learning a lot here and having a lot of fun, thank you. :) Nice to meet you and have a great day!

Knice little start you got there!

Sounds eerily similar to my own membership here a few years back... and I still love my Blurs!!! (And still keep my S&W in my car as a backup).

In any case, welcome, enjoy, definitely get the Sharpening system and strop you like, you'll need it.

Definitely get a Buck 110.

My personal favorite SAK's are the huntsman and the classic, just throwing that out there. Other then that, have fun and cut stuff!!!

Thanks!

The Leek is still my all time favorite and I don't see that changing any time soon. :D

I ended up picking up both a Sharpmaker AND Edge Pro (as well as a combo bench stone) to go with the double sided strop I purchased, so I've got plenty of sharpening gear to get me started now. I just have to put in the hours to get good at them!

I've got a Buck 110 in s30v and ironwood saved in my shopping cart ready to go! I'll probably wait until after my wedding in September to order it though. I've also been giving some thought to ordering a Buck 112 instead of the 110. The 110 is just sooo big!

I LOVE the Huntsman! It's almost like a Compact and a Farmer combined. If I didn't already have a Compact, I would probably most definitely be going for the Farmer (with Plus scales for the pen). As it stands... I still go back and forth with myself over whether I should get the Farmer or the Huntsman as my second SAK.

Thanks for the welcome, this place is pretty rad!

Edit*

A slight adjustment to the pivot screw on the Skyline and fires wonderfully now. :)

Last edited:
Yes...Welcome to the madness. Busse; Chris Reeve; Hinderer...You’ll soon need counseling.

Or you can get into the weird stuff. Check out some stuff by G&G Hawk. ;)

To each there own, right? I'll choose function over form nine times out of ten when I buy things, so I can't say they're for me, lol.

I was at a pawn shop a few weeks ago and they had a Kershaw E.T. knife in there. That thing was cumbersome! Took me a good five minutes just to figure out how to open and close it one handed. >.<

Do tell?

That would be interesting..Make sure you post them on the H and let the fun begin.

Nothing in the works just yet... I just meant that there aren't many budget knives left to buy that interest me so it's just about time to step up to the more costly knives.

After I pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, a Manix 2, and Benchmade Mini Griptilian (the knives in the $100 - $200 range I'd like to pick up), I'm giving some thought to trying to pick up one of Bob Kramer's cheaper offerings before I start checking out Sebenzas and whatnot. I've got about a decade of experience working in restaurants and I REALLY want one of his chef knives.

Last edited:
To each there own, right? I'll choose function over form nine times out of ten when I buy things, so I can't say they're for me, lol.

I was at a pawn shop a few weeks ago and they had a Kershaw E.T. knife in there. That thing was cumbersome! Took me a good five minutes just to figure out how to open and close it one handed. >.<

Nothing in the works just yet... I just meant that there aren't many budget knives left to buy that interest me so it's just about time to step up to the more costly knives.

After I pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, a Manix 2, and Benchmade Mini Griptilian (the knives in the $100 - $200 range I'd like to pick up), I'm giving some thought to trying to pick up one of Bob Kramer's cheaper offerings before I start checking out Sebenzas and whatnot. I've got about a decade of experience working in restaurants and I REALLY want one of his chef knives.

The slope is slippery

BXM4rq3.jpg

The slope is slippery

BXM4rq3.jpg

Holy cow! When my fiance asks why I need three or four Leeks, I'm just going to show her this picture, lol. I really like the sunburst-like pattern on the two towards the bottom. Is the damascus pattern on the left considered spirograph? It looks awesome!

Looks like I'll have to see if you have anything for sell once I break into Chris Reeve Knives! What a collection!

Fixall Fixall can combine both suggestions and pick up a Ti-Lock like that beauty up top. ;)

That mill work is awesome!

Last edited:
Very nice, Mr. Hyde. I’m way behind you in CRK, but if you knew how many Bussekin I possess, you might suggest counseling. And everyone here should check out Lone_Wolfe’s collection of Chris Reeve offerings.

Holy cow! When my fiance asks why I need three or four Leeks, I'm just going to show here this picture, lol. I really like the sunburst-like pattern on the two towards the bottom. Is the damascus pattern on the left considered spirograph? It looks awesome!

Looks like I'll have to see if you have anything for sell once I break into Chris Reeve Knives! What a collection!

That mill work is awesome!

The "sunburst" pattern is a Wilson Combat Startac Umnumzaan- Old pivot..One of them moved onto another collector. Guess I didn't need 2..But it was replaced by something older and more expensive.
That is Spirograph..Discontinued in use by Chris Reeve Knives. That one has also moved onto a new owner. Smalls generally don't stay in my collection too long..The smallest one in that collection is an Umfaan which is ridiculously small, so it will stay for some time.
The Ti-lock on the top that has the mill work or pattern is one of an annual series of Ti-locks..This one is called "In Motion"
Really need to update that collection pic..it's missing several new and 1 or 3 have moved on.

Very nice, Mr. Hyde. I’m way behind you in CRK, but if you knew how many Bussekin I possess, you might suggest counseling. And everyone here should check out Lone_Wolfe’s collection of Chris Reeve offerings.

Thanks! Things have changed a bit..mostly picked up older regulars of the CGG variety.
I have surfed around in the Busse sub a bit and seen a few pics of some pretty decent collections..but you are probably right on the counseling comment, however you should have mentioned the counseling AFTER you brought up Lone_Wolfe ;)
Pretty good friends with her and we talk often..Safe to say she probably averages at least a knife a week- Mostly CRK

The "sunburst" pattern is a Wilson Combat Startac Umnumzaan- Old pivot..One of them moved onto another collector. Guess I didn't need 2..But it was replaced by something older and more expensive.
That is Spirograph..Discontinued in use by Chris Reeve Knives. That one has also moved onto a new owner. Smalls generally don't stay in my collection too long..The smallest one in that collection is an Umfaan which is ridiculously small, so it will stay for some time.
The Ti-lock on the top that has the mill work or pattern is one of an annual series of Ti-locks..This one is called "In Motion"
Really need to update that collection pic..it's missing several new and 1 or 3 have moved on.

I'm still just drooling over that photo. I really like those Startac Umnumzaans, they remind me of "rising sun" imagery. Is my jealousy showing much? Haha. I think WHEN I get a Sebenza (seems like a nice place to start with a CRK) it will likely be a small. The Blur has about the largest blade I can handle on a folder and that's already pushing it. Damn these tiny hands!
I'll keep an eye out for an updated picture of your collection!
I've really been digging on the different Damascus patterns lately. I got the opportunity to watch a demo of Raindrop Damascus being made about a month ago and I've been infatuated with the different patterns since then. I really want a show piece done in Mokume Gane eventually! So sexy.

Also...

I stumbled into the (redacted) subforum last night... I think I get the previously mentioned "basement" comments now, lol.

Edit*

Yup. I get it now. I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Naw, we don’t need no stinkin’ counseling. Because we all understand. Each other. Nice collection of old pivots. Be well.

New knife day again (I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem)!

The Spyderco Delica Wharncliffe I purchased from a fellow BF member came in today! :D

I'm already liking it more than the standard Delica. The only downside I'm seeing is that it has kind of a large pocket presence. That shouldn't be a problem for me though as I plan on having it live on my computer desk in the living room. I think it will be my go-to for opening boxes and making draw cuts at home (scissors are for suckers!). Anyways... Just a post today as I have to head to work. :/ Have a great Friday everyone!

txafxWE.jpg

G&G Hawk completely sealed pivot... form meet function... haven't torture tested it myself, but the videos available are pretty neat...
09kEPEx.jpg

Now THAT I could get on board with. :) Great looking knife! The carbon fiber on the handle looks REALLY well done.

Last edited:
Back