New to the forum. Looking forward to establishing some dialog

Scott, again, sincere thanks for taking the time to write that out. I will absolutely follow all of the advice you were kind enough to share.
God bless,
Pat
A couple other suggestions:

1. I like to start my grinding at the tip working towards the plunge line. This helps establish a distal taper and keep the tip thin.
2. The Thinner the stock, the harder it is to get crisp clean lines due to geometry as is the higher the bevel goes. This is due to geometry. High saber grinds Fillet knives are very tough.
3. If your free handing, a center scribe line is essential.
4. A sheet metal gauge is a really cheap quick and easy way to check the thickness of your edge as you're grinding. Calipers with the jaws locked also do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.ca/HFS-Standard-...words=sheet+metal+gauge&qid=1607455271&sr=8-6
t,

What's up guys. I'm fairly confident that this has either been discussed in the past and I just can't find it, or we're not supposed to mention particular companies? But I was wondering which steel companies you more experienced folk might suggest for smaller amount orders? And do all companies hammer you on shipping?

Check this thing out guys. Ordered in from Northern Tool. It's a small contraption that you can attach an angle grinder to and make a mini chop saw. Reviews looked good. It was relatively inexpensive-$38.

Ironton Angle Grinder Holder — Converts an Angle Grinder into a Metal-Cutting Chop Saw
61454_65x65.jpg

Alpha knife supply is a really good source for most things. Their shipping rates are reasonable.
Of course everyone has their favorites, but if you look in the stickies, there is a list of knife making suppliers.

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to make my way around the forum.. I couldn't seem how to find how to send out a new post and was lucky enough to find these.. Thanks again, I'll go to the stickies. Incidentally, Ebay often has a variety for sale, many with no shipping, have you done any business with Ebay for steel?

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to make my way around the forum.. I couldn't seem how to find how to send out a new post and was lucky enough to find these.. Thanks again, I'll go to the stickies. Incidentally, Ebay often has a variety for sale, many with no shipping, have you done any business with Ebay for steel?

Personally I would stay away from ebay, and stick to a reputable supplier. You hear to many horror stories of steel being supplied that's isn't what it should be. The confusion of learning to effectively heat treat is bad enough without the added variable of a potentially unknown steel

Alpha knife supply 9is the go to for small steel orders. Shippingis very reasonable

Most all the knife suppliers sell good steel of known alloying and quality. It comes in a condition ready to use. USA Knifemakers and Alpha are two of the most used, followed by Jantz and Texas Knife supply.
I would avoid most Ebay steel sellers.
Other commonly used steel suppliers are New Jersey Steel Baron, Admiral Steel, Niagara Steel.

Back