New to the forum. Looking forward to establishing some dialog

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Pat Alpha Blades, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Pat Alpha Blades

Pat Alpha Blades

Dec 7, 2020
    Scott, again, sincere thanks for taking the time to write that out. I will absolutely follow all of the advice you were kind enough to share.
    God bless,
    Pat
    t,

2. Pat Alpha Blades

Pat Alpha Blades

Dec 7, 2020
    What's up guys. I'm fairly confident that this has either been discussed in the past and I just can't find it, or we're not supposed to mention particular companies? But I was wondering which steel companies you more experienced folk might suggest for smaller amount orders? And do all companies hammer you on shipping?

3. Pat Alpha Blades

Pat Alpha Blades

Dec 7, 2020
    Check this thing out guys. Ordered in from Northern Tool. It's a small contraption that you can attach an angle grinder to and make a mini chop saw. Reviews looked good. It was relatively inexpensive-$38.

Ironton Angle Grinder Holder — Converts an Angle Grinder into a Metal-Cutting Chop Saw
    [​IMG]

4. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Alpha knife supply is a really good source for most things. Their shipping rates are reasonable.
    Of course everyone has their favorites, but if you look in the stickies, there is a list of knife making suppliers.

SBuzek likes this.
  5. Pat Alpha Blades

Pat Alpha Blades

Dec 7, 2020
    Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it. I'm still trying to make my way around the forum.. I couldn't seem how to find how to send out a new post and was lucky enough to find these.. Thanks again, I'll go to the stickies. Incidentally, Ebay often has a variety for sale, many with no shipping, have you done any business with Ebay for steel?

6. Nick-D

Nick-D

Apr 17, 2017
    Personally I would stay away from ebay, and stick to a reputable supplier. You hear to many horror stories of steel being supplied that's isn't what it should be. The confusion of learning to effectively heat treat is bad enough without the added variable of a potentially unknown steel

7. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    Alpha knife supply 9is the go to for small steel orders. Shippingis very reasonable

8. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Most all the knife suppliers sell good steel of known alloying and quality. It comes in a condition ready to use. USA Knifemakers and Alpha are two of the most used, followed by Jantz and Texas Knife supply.
    I would avoid most Ebay steel sellers.
    Other commonly used steel suppliers are New Jersey Steel Baron, Admiral Steel, Niagara Steel.

9. Pat Alpha Blades

Pat Alpha Blades

Dec 7, 2020
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it.