New TV Survival Show - Alone

I liked it, one of the guys on there "Chris Weatherman" is the author of one of my favorite fiction disaster series, "Going Home", he writes under the name "A. American".

This is an interesting survival show. I hope to learn wet forest survival from these folks and see how quickly they'll adapt to the environment and live with what the forest can provide along with the animal predators in the area.

I'm wondering why not one of them brought any man-made fire starter tinder like magnesium or cotton-ball? Relying solely on fire materials that I have to search in a wet forest I'm not familiar with could be disastrous for me. Is that self-confidence or miscalculation on their part?

Another thing I want to learn from those men is how they're going to deal with the animal predators in the area as they set their camp and search for food.

I also wanted to see if the extra emergency ration would be a life-saver or deal-breaker in this survival competition.

It is interesting to note that all them carry the same five items and differ in the next five items for a total of ten items.

JOSH CHAVEZ
300 yards of single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

550 paracord – 20m
12×12 ground sheet
Bivi bag (gortex sleeping bag cover)
Bow and 6 arrows
Saw

DUSTIN FEHER
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
550 paracord – 20m
Water bottle/canteen
Small gauge gill net
Slingshot

ALAN KAY
300 yards single filament line with 25 assorted hooks
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
Saw
Water bottle/canteen
Small gauge gill net
3.5lb wire

SAM LARSON
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
12×12 ground sheet tarp
Bow and 6 arrows
Extra emergency rations
Slingshot

BRANT McGEE
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
12×12 ground sheet tarp
550 paracord – 20m
Bow and 6 arrows
Extra emergency rations

LUCAS MILLER
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
12×12 ground sheet tarp
Extra Tarp
Extra emergency rations
Saw

MITCH MICHELL
300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
Bivi bag (gortex sleeping cover)
Bow and 6 arrows
Small gauge gill net
Sharpening stone

JOE ROBINET
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2-quart pot
Sleeping bag

Large knife
12×12 tarp
550 paracord – 20m
Extra emergency rations
Small gauge gill net

WAYNE RUSSELL
300 yards of single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks
Axe
Ferro rod
large 2 quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
12×12 ground sheet
550 paracord – 20m
Saw
Leatherman multi tool

CHRIS WEATHERMAN
300 yards of single filament fishing line with 25 assorted hooks
Axe
Ferro rod
Large 2 quart pot
Sleeping bag

Knife
Saw
Water bottle canteen
Bow and 6 arrows
Sharpening stone

Sam Larson's choice of a sling shot is interesting. I would likely never have thought twice about such a tool, except that I walked up to an Indian knocking Grouse down from trees with one in the Boreal. I was using an air gun for head/neck shots, and they are a tiny target with any distance at all. He didn't kill them outright, but he shocked/damaged them enough for a quick retrieval and a helicopter whirl by the neck. I'd imagine that it would bugger up a little bush squirrel just as effectively....I've been seeing the commercials off and on but I did not realize that the program was already airing.

I'm wondering why not one of them brought any man-made fire starter tinder like magnesium or cotton-ball? Relying solely on fire materials that I have to search in a wet forest I'm not familiar with could be disastrous for me. Is that self-confidence or miscalculation on their part?

I think it was an inherent part of the challenge to use natural tinder. Although they could have used some of the synthetic materials in them in a pinch, but much of that goes out the window when panic sets in and the Suns going down. Our local friends in that area always used fatwood or pine knots to start up bonfires. In a real pinch one can work with pine resin and finely processed bark. Especially with cedar and birchbark. Once one gets a fire the extra resin could be used to make pitch, even extended with some old mans beard given some time to dry over the fire. Cover in resin with some ash and you have natures petroleum impregnated cotton balls. The whole part of this process that's difficult is time. Slowing down and being thorough when cold, wet, hungry, exhausted is just added difficulty to that challenge.

I think the hardest part of the challenge would be the isolation and being a part from their families. Curious to see how the rest pans out!

I was waiting for anyone in the show to use a bowdrill or a fire piston or flint and steel to start the fire.

I guess everyone went for the really practical fire starter, the one that will work, in that situation... the ferro rod.

I bet, if allowed, everyone would have opted for matches or Bic lighter to start their fire.

It opened my mind when it comes to fire starter in certain situation.

I was waiting for anyone in the show to use a bowdrill or a fire piston or flint and steel to start the fire.

I guess everyone went for the really practical fire starter, the one that will work, in that situation... the ferro rod.

I bet, if allowed, everyone would have opted for matches or Bic lighter to start their fire.

It opened my mind when it comes to fire starter in certain situation.

I prefer matches or the Bic lighter personally. But since the wilderness experience is somewhat open ended, the ferro rod is a safer choice especially with it being so wet there.

Caught the opening episode. I lived on the Island for a while and it is crawling with wildlife. And I feel for those guys in regard to the wet conditions. Over here it is night and day using natural materials for a fire in the spring/summer/fall, compared to winter at -35............. and or incessant rain. But the resources are there.

Interesting content, but poorly produced and about impossible to watch without constantly working the remote back and forth to follow the campers. Interesting to see how people deal with the fear of wildlife and cope. Not sure if I will watch more of it with the content all chopped up making it a chore to watch.

I've got it recording. Might just forget about it and watch a few episodes at a time later. Funny the one guy quitting after the first night. Only one of the contestants chose snare wire. Thought that would have been one of the more useful items. Whose next to drop out? Thinking the guy who howled at the wolves:)

There are at least several resident grizzly bears on the northern 1/3 of Vancouver Island as confirmed by a hair analysis study last year. Black bears on Vancouver Island are quite tolerant of people due to the general availability of food , keep a clean camp and don't set up your camp right next to where they feed .

Food won't be an issue for those that don't mind eating shellfish, seaweed and berries into the fall - fish aren't going to be a main item of food.

Fresh water should be boiled before drinking .

It doesn't rain in the summer as much as commonly thought by tourists but it will be the persistent dampness and cool temps that will slowly sap the will of the participants .

Interesting that none of the guys are from BC or the from the NW states or Alaska

not allowed

Ok so I am just getting to watch Esp 1. Day one a tap out. If you are aware of cats and bears maybe string your bow, and or make a few spears Something damn

Ok so I am just getting to watch Esp 1. Day one a tap out. If you are aware of cats and bears maybe string your bow, and or make a few spears Something damn

Guess once they figure out fire they'll have an easier time.

Tough to make that call unless you are there. Mentality is EVERYTHING when it comes accessing your options. I bet there was a big build up to that first day. Lots of emotions to cloud your judgement. I have seen folks tap out of situations well before they would have if the "pressure" wasn't on. I feel bad for him because he probably regretted that decision soon after he was removed.

I was thinking the same thing....in fact while I was watching, I was creating a "chevaux-de-frise" that stick out of the walls...a "fortified lean-to with wall spikes" system to go around the outside of the tent fly/shelter tarps in my head...

untitled-shoot-4017-2.jpg

or

3533599478_73f27e0e0a.jpg

Are we talking about the walking dead now?
I agree keeping a cool head is key. Also it's easy to be a arm chair quarterback, not that the speculating is a bad thing. Just a easy thing.

Are we talking about the walking dead now?
I agree keeping a cool head is key. Also it's easy to be a arm chair quarterback, not that the speculating is a bad thing. Just a easy thing.

nope...we're talking about the "last man standing" on a survival show, in an area teeming with bears and cougars.

Your tent/shelter is that one place where your senses are not going to be up to par. It makes absolute sense to barricade yourself in where these predators are going to have an issue getting to you while you sleep.

I don't know about you but after a long day of cutting wood, hiking and hunting, I sleep like a rock. Thankfully I don't have predatory cats weighing over 15 pounds here...but not in that area they are in.

I actually plan on testing out how much energy it takes to make a fortified type of situation...it will likely be rather labour intensive.

However, in an extended survival situation, I could see it doing the positive mental thing of keeping the feeling of going forward, and imposing order on the situation. You know, that feeling that you're actually getting something done.
Much the same as how improving your shelter, setting traps (even when they do not work) and making benches/raised platforms to increase comfort helps out along the way.

And if you were there for a few weeks or so, it could be built up over time.

I don't think it's a great energy investment right away though, unless you're in an area that has good materials for such things, like when Les Stroud was in Africa and used those thorn bushes to make a deterrent to lions.

Back