1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

New Ultralight! The 537 Bailout

Discussion in 'Benchmade Knife Company' started by halden.doerge, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    Grey Cerakote.

2. BenchMEDAL

BenchMEDAL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2018
    My limited knowledge of DLC and Cerakote is on firearms, so I’m not sure if this applies to knives, specifically the 537.

DLC gives a superhard coating that helps lubricity, but doesn't necessarily help that much with corrosion protection.

Cerakote is a little sluggish on sliding surfaces, but is outstanding for corrosion protection, and a fairly durable finish in general.

3. majen

majen

Dec 6, 2008
    is this the same coating on the grey bugout?

4. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Isn't 3V a really good steel though? Definitely not one you see in folders that often.

5. BenchMEDAL

BenchMEDAL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    It's not so mundane, I had a confusion with VG-10.

Seems to be a steel mostly used for heavy duty camp knives tho, maybe marketing dictated that choice of putting a tank steel into a lightweight folder?!

At any rate, $150 is waaaay off my charts.

CPP likes this.
  7. Benchmade

Benchmade BMK Jimmy - Design Engineer Moderator

Jan 25, 2013
    Nope, the grey Bugout uses a PVD coating.

8. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I counted three times that someone opened the knife with one hand :rolleyes:

9. 1AbominAble1

1AbominAble1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I’ve been carrying and using a coated Bugout for months, the chromium nitride is an absolute beast!
    I use the knife daily and the blade still looks like new.
    The few times that I thought that I had finally put a mark in it turned out to be material on it, not in it.
    I’m not a fan of coated blades but took a chance on this one and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one with this coating.

colin.p likes this.
  10. CPP

CPP Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2014
    I agree that tough 3V is an odd choice for an ultralight folding knife. I have three knives in 3V all of which are fixed blades for bushcraft-type tasks and chopping.

cbrstar likes this.
  11. Knicked Digits

Knicked Digits

Dec 24, 2016
    My biggest question is: is the aluminum pommel hard anodized? I can’t imagine this being marketed as a lightweight tactic knife and have a pommel that would be prone to dents and dings.

Cypress likes this.
  12. levs18

levs18

Jun 25, 2000
    Anyone know the release date?

13. kickert

kickert

Jan 1, 2019
    April 26... it is in the original post video (and also mentioned further up thread).

levs18 likes this.
  14. Cypress

Cypress Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Lightweight :thumbsup:
    3V in a flimsy folding knife o_O
    Aluminum pommel o_Oo_O
    Tanto blade :rolleyes:
    Cerakote (still???) :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

What exactly is the intended use of this knife?

Here's my interpretation of the mindset when creating this knife:

"3V was received super well with the Puukko, so let's ride those coattails, even though it's totally wrong for the application. It needs a pommel, but this is supposed to be a lightweight knife, so use aluminum...even though it's the cheap metallic equivalent of Brie cheese. Tanto to match the name, even though the theory of use behind a Tanto blade is wasted on a small folder whose handles can be squeezed together by a hand of average strength. Cerakote because 3V can but probably won't rust, even though it shows wear like crazy and is a crappy grabby material for coating knife blades."

For this knife to work, they should have made this a full-tang fixed blade of the same size, with the pommel as an extension of the tang (like the Infidel fixed blade), and DLC coating. G10 grips would be nice, but Micarta would be nicer.

cbrstar, .577NE, 731Chopper and 3 others like this.
  15. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Still odd that the soldier and police officer used two hands.

16. majen

majen

Dec 6, 2008
    Why not use the PVD coating on these also?

357snubnose likes this.
  17. Cypress

Cypress Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Also from the video:

*tactical operator scratches at rocks with small folding knife*

and

*Police officer approaches vehicle, brandishes small pocket knife incapable of breaking window*

Who makes these videos lmaoooo

Filthyj24 and 357snubnose like this.
  18. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Those rocks had it coming.

Cypress likes this.
  19. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    I like the choice of 3V here since it is a thin blade. It should slice ell, but still be very durable for any task because of the steel choice. I don't have any Benchmades right now, but I will pick this one up since I love the steel and light weight. I would prefer anything but a tanto, however, especially a wharncliffe.

20. halflife78

halflife78 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2016
    I am with you here. 3V in a flimsy knife with an aluminum pommel and Tanto just makes no sense.

.577NE, 357snubnose and Cypress like this.