New Ultralight! The 537 Bailout

My limited knowledge of DLC and Cerakote is on firearms, so I’m not sure if this applies to knives, specifically the 537.

DLC gives a superhard coating that helps lubricity, but doesn't necessarily help that much with corrosion protection.

Cerakote is a little sluggish on sliding surfaces, but is outstanding for corrosion protection, and a fairly durable finish in general.

To each their own perception. But if you include tax and shipping, we're talking somewhere about $150 USD.

According to my own scale of value, $150 or $200 canadian (eh!) is an absolute ripoff for a mundane steel, polymer slabs with a fancy name and a durability that probably won't exceed a couple days of farm/camp use.

It looks definitely tactilol tho, I'm sure it will be a conversation starter at the coffee machine =)
Isn't 3V a really good steel though? Definitely not one you see in folders that often.

Isn't 3V a really good steel though? Definitely not one you see in folders that often.

It's not so mundane, I had a confusion with VG-10.

Seems to be a steel mostly used for heavy duty camp knives tho, maybe marketing dictated that choice of putting a tank steel into a lightweight folder?!

At any rate, $150 is waaaay off my charts.

Reactions: CPP
This is so disappointing! I love this knife, the Tanto, 3V.... but they coated the blade. At least go DLC if you insist on coating it.
I’ve been carrying and using a coated Bugout for months, the chromium nitride is an absolute beast!
I use the knife daily and the blade still looks like new.
The few times that I thought that I had finally put a mark in it turned out to be material on it, not in it.
I’m not a fan of coated blades but took a chance on this one and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one with this coating.

Seems to be a steel mostly used for heavy duty camp knives tho, maybe marketing dictated that choice of putting a tank steel into a lightweight folder?!
I agree that tough 3V is an odd choice for an ultralight folding knife. I have three knives in 3V all of which are fixed blades for bushcraft-type tasks and chopping.

My biggest question is: is the aluminum pommel hard anodized? I can’t imagine this being marketed as a lightweight tactic knife and have a pommel that would be prone to dents and dings.

Lightweight :thumbsup:
3V in a flimsy folding knife o_O
Aluminum pommel o_Oo_O
Tanto blade :rolleyes:
Cerakote (still???) :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

What exactly is the intended use of this knife?

Here's my interpretation of the mindset when creating this knife:

"3V was received super well with the Puukko, so let's ride those coattails, even though it's totally wrong for the application. It needs a pommel, but this is supposed to be a lightweight knife, so use aluminum...even though it's the cheap metallic equivalent of Brie cheese. Tanto to match the name, even though the theory of use behind a Tanto blade is wasted on a small folder whose handles can be squeezed together by a hand of average strength. Cerakote because 3V can but probably won't rust, even though it shows wear like crazy and is a crappy grabby material for coating knife blades."

For this knife to work, they should have made this a full-tang fixed blade of the same size, with the pommel as an extension of the tang (like the Infidel fixed blade), and DLC coating. G10 grips would be nice, but Micarta would be nicer.

Also from the video:

*tactical operator scratches at rocks with small folding knife*

and

*Police officer approaches vehicle, brandishes small pocket knife incapable of breaking window*

Who makes these videos lmaoooo

Also from the video:

*tactical operator scratches at rocks with small folding knife*

and

*Police officer approaches vehicle, brandishes small pocket knife incapable of breaking window*

Who makes these videos lmaoooo

Those rocks had it coming.

I agree that tough 3V is an odd choice for an ultralight folding knife. I have three knives in 3V all of which are fixed blades for bushcraft-type tasks and chopping.
I like the choice of 3V here since it is a thin blade. It should slice ell, but still be very durable for any task because of the steel choice. I don't have any Benchmades right now, but I will pick this one up since I love the steel and light weight. I would prefer anything but a tanto, however, especially a wharncliffe.

Lightweight :thumbsup:
3V in a flimsy folding knife o_O
Aluminum pommel o_Oo_O
Tanto blade :rolleyes:
Cerakote (still???) :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

What exactly is the intended use of this knife?

Here's my interpretation of the mindset when creating this knife:

"3V was received super well with the Puukko, so let's ride those coattails, even though it's totally wrong for the application. It needs a pommel, but this is supposed to be a lightweight knife, so use aluminum...even though it's the cheap metallic equivalent of Brie cheese. Tanto to match the name, even though the theory of use behind a Tanto blade is wasted on a small folder whose handles can be squeezed together by a hand of average strength. Cerakote because 3V can but probably won't rust, even though it shows wear like crazy and is a crappy grabby material for coating knife blades."

For this knife to work, they should have made this a full-tang fixed blade of the same size, with the pommel as an extension of the tang (like the Infidel fixed blade), and DLC coating. G10 grips would be nice, but Micarta would be nicer.

I am with you here. 3V in a flimsy knife with an aluminum pommel and Tanto just makes no sense.

Back