New XM 18 questions

Every Xm I've had had a very weak detent. Hated them. It's one of the few knives I really liked but never carried them. Sold them off. Great quality but just never fell in love

Every Xm I've had had a very weak detent. Hated them. It's one of the few knives I really liked but never carried them. Sold them off. Great quality but just never fell in love

When was that? Maybe time to give it another try? The only two XM-18s I own have both good detent (see my previous video), though I bought them fairly recently.

Hinderers do ship a little tight but should break in wonderfully. I've found that new Hinderers benefit from a slight pivot adjustment.

All that said, I did encounter a similar issue with a newly purchased Gen 4 XM-18 3.5. No matter how I held it, if there was even the slightest pressure on the lockbar, it would lock the blade in place and it would be impossible to open. This is could be due to either lockbar tension or the detent ball sitting a tad tall.

If it were my knife, I would send it back to the retailer and ask for either an exchange or a refund. I wouldn't put up with the sloppy edge grind or the sub-par action (or in your case, lack thereof).

A lil drop of nano oil on the detent ball will also help smooth up the opening a lil while it breaks in.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Just send it back man. If you have these kinds of issues you shouldn't question what you need to do. Not for that kind of money you paid for it. The same goes for any other brand. If you bought a CRK and it had these issues would you think twice about it? Speaks volumes that so many people are telling you to accept what you know isn't right. Those issues aren't right. You know it, any objective person who can weigh good vs bad vs the price you paid for that knife knows it. Just send it back and get a good one one. For whatever hinderer knives are known for, it's not what you showed pictures of and I hope they would agree.

I'll trade ya for a Delica with a perfect closed detent, stellar grind, and perfect centering!
I would take the XM apart and see what's going on. My guess is that you could take the awl on a SAK (or a similar tool) and very lightly and carefully remove a burr on the detent hole to aid here. Otherwise one thing is for sure... I've never seen a detent hole get smaller or less rounded with use. To me this thread is music to my ears. These non flippers are on my radar and I was really hoping that they didn't d!ck with the detent too much and end up making it on the lighter side. The detent is there to keep the blade closed when you don't want it to come open. Sometimes one works better than another. In my ideals your knife sounds good to go and maybe even better than I would hope for. The edge grind is a bit of a bummer but it'll get sorted out with use/sharpening and a bit of apathy will set in as the honeymoon phase fades. I say "ride it like you stole it!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel your pain I bought a new 3.5 I was hoping to use thumb studs and flipper the detent was so strong you couldn't get it open with thumb studs . They seem to be all over the place as far as detent you might want to try a gen 3 that might work the way you want it . The lock bar probably has to much tension the custom guys tune there's by bending the lock bar back to take some tension off I wouldn't recommend that better off to send it back .

I hate seeing this from the OP but certainly understand his frustration. We got in 10 of the Non Flippers and tested the thumbstud opening on all of them. They all seemed to have decent detents but were no problem opening with the thumb studs. Despite some claims, I do know that Hinderer has great customer service, so I hope you will send it back or let your dealer do it. They will 100% take care of it.

Like a lot of others have stated I agree that detents on Hinderer knives do vary. Most over the past year or so have been stronger than what was made in the past. To be sure you are getting what you are looking for on detent strength I advise calling or emailing your dealer before ordering. Not all, but most Hinderer dealers are happy to take the time and check out the knife you are considering. It is much better for us to give honest feedback about the knife up front than a customer who orders a $400+ knife and is not happy with the result. I think most dealers feel the way we do, you spend that kind of money on a knife we want you to be ecstatic about it.

I hate seeing this from the OP but certainly understand his frustration. We got in 10 of the Non Flippers and tested the thumbstud opening on all of them. They all seemed to have decent detents but were no problem opening with the thumb studs. Despite some claims, I do know that Hinderer has great customer service, so I hope you will send it back or let your dealer do it. They will 100% take care of it.

Like a lot of others have stated I agree that detents on Hinderer knives do vary. Most over the past year or so have been stronger than what was made in the past. To be sure you are getting what you are looking for on detent strength I advise calling or emailing your dealer before ordering. Not all, but most Hinderer dealers are happy to take the time and check out the knife you are considering. It is much better for us to give honest feedback about the knife up front than a customer who orders a $400+ knife and is not happy with the result. I think most dealers feel the way we do, you spend that kind of money on a knife we want you to be ecstatic about it.

[emoji109][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks alot for all of the feedback guys. Well I've had it a few weeks now, almost, and I've came to love it. I will say 75% of my initial problem was technique. The detent did stick but that seems to have worn in nicely.

The only issue there now, is the pivot seems to loosen after about 10 to 15 openings and I have to finger tighten it to the sweet spot. I can tighten it just by finger to the point it won't flip. I don't know if that's normal but that's how mine is. I'm going to be getting a titanium pivot screw eventually and I'm hoping where it's more galling, it will stick in place better.

The other issue is the edge and I'll just deal with that. It'll sharpen to where I want it eventually.

Since I've gotten it worked in and figured out my technique, this thing hasn't left my pocket. I do love it. Thanks again for all of the feedback. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't sent it back.

Thanks alot for all of the feedback guys. Well I've had it a few weeks now, almost, and I've came to love it. I will say 75% of my initial problem was technique. The detent did stick but that seems to have worn in nicely.

The only issue there now, is the pivot seems to loosen after about 10 to 15 openings and I have to finger tighten it to the sweet spot. I can tighten it just by finger to the point it won't flip. I don't know if that's normal but that's how mine is. I'm going to be getting a titanium pivot screw eventually and I'm hoping where it's more galling, it will stick in place better.

The other issue is the edge and I'll just deal with that. It'll sharpen to where I want it eventually.

Since I've gotten it worked in and figured out my technique, this thing hasn't left my pocket. I do love it. Thanks again for all of the feedback. I'm glad I stuck it out and didn't sent it back.

Blue loc-tite the pivot where you want it. I had an 801 that did the same thing. It is an easy fix.

Sorry the OP is having an issue with his XM. I recently had a problem with a knife from another company, and it's frustrating to deal with when you spend $420.

And this ^^^^ is exactly why I purchased a Gen 2 Eklipse from Whitty yesterday. I called the shop, he took the knife out and looked it over with me on the phone, and an hour later it was in the mail. Very easy, and very satisfying as a customer.

Back