Next batch on deck

5443127041_b21f70c0d8_z.jpg

This batch is done....at least the knives are, sheaths still to come.
Lord willing I'll have pics tomorrow.

Iz

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it!! :D

Iz,

Maybe you'll get a dozen concellations for Soldier River knives and you will be sending me an e-mail soon. It's great you putting up the progress photos, along with your your instruction videos its a great service to the community.

Btw, I was having a hard time deciding on a Soldier River or a Dogwood Creek. Since I ordered the Soldier River, I was able to buy a used Dogwood. Now the wait for the Soldier River won't seem so long.

Thanks for all you do,
Chase

Iz,

Maybe you'll get a dozen concellations for Soldier River knives and you will be sending me an e-mail soon. It's great you putting up the progress photos, along with your your instruction videos its a great service to the community.

Btw, I was having a hard time deciding on a Soldier River or a Dogwood Creek. Since I ordered the Soldier River, I was able to buy a used Dogwood. Now the wait for the Soldier River won't seem so long.

Thanks for all you do,
Chase
Chase,
Glad you got a dogwood, I think you'll like it. Which one did you get?

Very nice. I wish one of those was for me :)
Thanks, Munky.:thumbup:

Iz

Chase,

Iz,

I do like it, I had it out last weekend and felt real comfortable in it's use.

It came with a custom sheath and has a red canvas micarta handle.

Thanks
C

Slight delay on the sheaths. I should have been done today but the past couple days I have been doctor and grocery getter for a sick one in the family.
I hope to be done with these by tomorrow or hopefully no later than the day after tomorrow.

5452798456_bc2c14e48d_z.jpg

Tomorrow, Lord willing, will be a full day of sewing and edge finishing...hopefully they all fit. heh.
Thanks for looking,
Iz

Chase,

Iz,

I do like it, I had it out last weekend and felt real comfortable in it's use.

It came with a custom sheath and has a red canvas micarta handle.

Thanks
C

Cool, man. I'm guessing it is this knife?
http://www.turleyknives.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=99986356

That one had real thin scales, I hope it fits your hand alright.:thumbup:
Good score, brother.
Iz

Cool, man. I'm guessing it is this knife?
http://www.turleyknives.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=99986356

That one had real thin scales, I hope it fits your hand alright.:thumbup:
Good score, brother.
Iz

Iz,

That sure looks like the one and yes, it does have narrow scales. At first I thought they were too thin but I have developed a liking to them. When the Soldier River is made, I will stick with a more normal scale size and make a comparison of the two.

Thanks for researching my knife and good luck with those sheaths.

Chase

Good deal, Chase. Glad it's working out for you.:thumbup:
Roger that on the normal sized scales for your S.R.
Iz

Pitter patter, time to get at 'er.
Next batch in the batters box.:dblthumb:
I had several days off due to taxes and a sick one but everything's rolling again.
5472986574_a32ac48986_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

Update on this batch,

The big muddy and the Mississippi just out of the quench
5491958828_8b63da1bc7_z.jpg

Everything is heat treated now. I'm ready to laminate handles and finish the rest of the blades.
5491365785_1f1ef6d1da_z.jpg

This is one of the four finished blades, it's the same pattern as Anton's knife only longer in the handle.
"Anton's knife" is a giveaway knife I'm doing on another board. It's a for a great cause offered by the family of their son who was a young woodsman that left this life to early. You can check it out here to enter if you'd like.
http://www.bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29326
Lots and lots of gear and money being donated for this one so I encourage you guys to enter.:thumbup:
My liaison that's representing the family in the giveaway ordered the knife, they will be the only two made and then I'll destroy the pattern in honor of Anton.
5491365699_782cee4dcd_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

I had to post this one up. I'm not tooting my own horn by any means, I got lucky on this one.
5493405026_772b88729c_z.jpg

What's the big deal you might ask? If you notice Missouris only come with hand sanded flats. The reason is because this reverse convex grind is really difficult (at least for me) to do on a big knife like this. So one short second of lost concentration turns into a messed up grind line. The grind is still there but one stray sanding mark and the scale on the flats gets rubbed and it looks terrible. So I hand sand them to get rid of the scale.
Anyway, this one turned out so good that I asked the customer if he was ok with leaving the scale on. Unless I get lucky again this will be the only Missouri to ever have the scale left on the flats.
Sorry for the long winded hooha. I was just thrilled at my good fortune with this one after having screwed up another grind earlier in the week.
Thanks for looking,
Iz

Great Job on that Missouri Brother!!

Bet ya don't miss the hand sanding either.

I personaly love the charcater the scale left on the flats gives a knife. But then I'm an incurable rustic.

That is one lucky son of a gun right there. I like it alot better with the forge left on. And b4 anyone gets thier panties in a wad notice I said forge and not forge'd'. :foot::D

Thanks, fellers. Mucho appreciate-o.

Handle work, when things seem to grind to a halt. Fit and finish is almost all right here in this process.

Seven glued up and handles profiled. Ready for rough grinding and hopefully finishing tomorrow.
5510779881_f7d7a67725_z.jpg

Three more ready for glue up tomorrow morning, Lord willing.
5511378410_ed0ded506e_z.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Iz

Annnddd done. I'll get some (better) quick pics tomorrow before I start on sheaths.

5516293193_162dbee0ce_z.jpg

Anton's knife
5516293151_daa9da6393_z.jpg

Quick pic of the Missouri
5516293127_acaf44fa1d_z.jpg

Thanks for looking, guys.:thumbup:
Iz

Back