"Nice" Knives made anyone else a knife snob?

More expensive high-end knives have made me more discriminating when deciding what knives to buy. I don’t think I’ve become a “snob” since I don’t look down on people who like and use knives that don’t match the quality of my collection.

More expensive high-end knives have made me more discriminating when deciding what knives to buy. I don’t think I’ve become a “snob” since I don’t look down on people who like and use knives that don’t match the quality of my collection.

This, very much this. Whether you use an Ontario Rat or a $2500 custom, I'm just glad you are into knives. I do criticize (internally) people I see carrying crappy knives that for the same price or less they could have had a Kershaw, Spyderco, etc. I never see that here obviously.

Anyone else get their first "nice" knife and instantly, those users who have been with you through thick and thin...no longer find themselves being carried?

I love these kinds of philosophical questions, and I enjoy the window threads like this one give me into how other knife nuts engage with the hobby. :)

For me, it's yes . . . and no. My initial jumps past budget quality were eye-openers, and I quickly sold off virtually all of my budget knives. But north of about $250, I get so picky about fit and finish that it's difficult for me to just enjoy the knife as a tool.

So I sort of rubber-banded back from more expensive knives, generally, into my sweet spot between quality budget knives and about $250. I'd rather buy one knife that really speaks to me, and/or which uses quality materials and has excellent fit and finish, than a handful of cheap knives.

Along the way I've picked up a distaste for some brands on the basis of their cheap materials and poor quality, but that distaste doesn't extend to the folks who carry knives made by those manufacturers (that's a different sort of snobbery).

If someone is packing a knife that costs <$500 I laugh in their face and then taunt them a second time.

Not for me. One of my first knives was a Chinese made Spyderco. I have/had Zero Tolerance and Striders and I love them, but I still carry my Spyderco. It's sharp and solidly built. My local cigar shop had days where everyone is showing off their knives. I've seen some less expensive knives that were pretty nice. Gotta appreciate each knife for what it is.

First, it’s hard to be a snob in a vacuum. What’s the point of being a snob if you can’t fill someone else with envy and resentment. My friends and associates know nothing about knives, and so have no appreciation for whatever exotic* blade I might produce to apply to some mundane task. My son has some interest, but his taste is different to mine. Most of my new acquisitions elicit at best an “Eh, whatever”.

Second, I don’t buy “nice” knives. Any snobbery on my part is of the reverse variety, wherein I pat myself on the back for getting the same job done with cheaper knives.

For me the snob part is feel. I love enduras...but I hate the FRN scale
feel now. I much prefer G10, Ti, good carbon fiber, or Micarta now.
I went nuts and bought 5 ZT knives and to me, they are the most expensive
knives I will ever get. My 0462 fell shut fast out of the box, has an epic
blade in CPM 20CV, carbon fiber and Ti scales, and epic action.
It has everything I would want in a "high end" knife.

Most important...I love its ergos. I have handled a few Sebenzas and do
not like the ergos at all. And for the price, I would prefer a better steel.
I really prefer M390, 20CV...better stain resistance and edge retention.

The Sebenza is built to a fantastic standard and is heirloom grade. But
I find it vanilla in style and poor for me to open and close. I have said
before and will say it again now...it is the best made knife I handled
that I did not like!
That being said, by the time you spend enough to buy a Lil Native,
a para 2, or a Shaman I feel you are getting into seriously nice knives
that will hold up well. And superior ergos too. One of my Para 2 knives is in
M390 and it is epic.
The ZT's are so nice I don't see the point of spending more...everything
I want is there...and everyone's opinion and taste vary in this area!
Some people rock Shiros (epic but insane too high IMHO).

I would never condemn anyone who decides he must have the finest and
gets it and loves it. I think that is epic! And I understand it too. I like binoculars
and photography. My binoculars are Leicas. Because I am picky!
I use Nikon cameras and my favorites are my D500s. I always wanted
a 200mm F2 lens so I got one...nearly 6k. I totally get people not wanting
to settle. But depending on where your passion lies you grade bang/buck
differently. I don't look down on my less expensive knives...or my less
expensive other gear. If it gets the job done and makes you happy mission
accomplished!

Honestly it had just the opposite effect on me. Two years with a Benchmade in my pocket made me appreciate brands like Buck and Kershaw more.

$50 buys alot of knife from either of those brands.

No, owning CRKs (I own 5 of them, the first bought in 2002) has not made me a snob. I still carry, use and appreciate my SAKs and Spydercos (and a few others) as well.

Jim

Ten years ago I might have snickered a little when I see someone with a really cheap knife, especially if they think it's a great knife. Now, I'm just glad that they like knives and if the interest continues, they will probably exceed the knife niche I have carved out. So, no snobbery here at this time.

As with every other product, I don’t care what someone else has. My own tastes have evolved over the years and now I find I ignore less expensive knives unless someone says something good about it. I ignored the Ontario Rat until someone said, “It’s good, try it”. I did and it is. But it took that to get it on my radar.

I am becoming more discriminating with my purchases and more likely to be happy with one “nice” knife vs five less expensive knives. The higher end knives aren’t making me snob against more commonly owned knives but rather they are shaping the way I look at and buy a knife.

Recently picked up a RAT II in D2 for under $40. Great knife for (almost anyone for) EDC. Not knocking anyone who wants to spend more, but there definitely is a point of diminishing returns.

That said, I do extensively use a custom hunting knife that is just about perfect for taking care of a downed deer. It only cost slightly more than some much less satisfying factory knives used for the same purpose. Individual needs and personal preferences determine "value".

Same here. I appreciate the precision of a well made knife and enjoy using it that much more. On the other hand, a good friend of mine, a retired Marine, carries a super cheap $20 knife and when he wears it out or loses it, he just buys another one. It's a cutting tool to him, and if it cuts, then it's good enough. He also uses it for prying open things and sometimes as as blunt instrument for hammering. Still, he can't justify spending more money on a knife. I guess the same goes with cars or homes. A Honda will get you from A to B just the same as a Mercedes. Some people value one luxury item over another.

Quite the opposite. The longer that I own a knife, the more familiar and comfortable it gets in my hand. Makers and features are part of the fun in acquiring new knives, but all thing being equal, I would be happier using my same old tools.

N2s

Back