Nice little experience just now with CS's online ordering

I got the Shanghai Warrior.
I hate how they charged my card without shipping me my knife. That's pretty shady. I may have make a trip to my Credit Union to dispute the charge if it doesn't come this week. I can't wait forever.
I don't see how the customer service could be any worse.
Worse would be to never fulfill the order, to take 90+ days to do so, to refuse to honor the advertised price, etc., etc.

Worse would be to never fulfill the order, to take 90+ days to do so, to refuse to honor the advertised price, etc., etc.

Optics Planet "never fulfilled my order"...............but never put a charge on my card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optics Planet is another big sports conglomerate that dabbles in knives.

Last edited:
Optics Planet "never fulfilled my order"...............but never put a charge on my card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optics Planet is another big sports conglomerate that dabbles in knives.
What are you worried about? A few days of float between the time your card was charged and the order went out the door? This is the policy of many companies. That's not "shady." I prefer companies not charge my card until they ship, but not waiting isn't illegal -- so long as they of ship of course.

Your original comment "I don't see how the customer service could be any worse" simply doesn't ring true.

FWIW, Optics Planet is not a "conglomerate." It's an online retailer.

Last edited:
I've purchased at least 250 value knives from at least 10 different online companies.
In my actual experience, my characterization
definitely "rings true".
At least with my "worst experiences", I was able to make contact a representative to fix the problem, or get information on my order.

Last edited:
What are you worried about? A few days of float between the time your card was charged and the order went out the door? This is the policy of many companies. That's not "shady." I prefer companies not charge my card until they ship, but not waiting isn't illegal -- so long as they of ship of course.

Your original comment "I don't see how the customer service could be any worse" simply doesn't ring true.

FWIW, Optics Planet is not a "conglomerate." It's an online retailer.

What rings true to me is that you defend just like a shill would.

My order did come this afternoon and all is satisfactory.
The packaging receipt shows the order date as 12/13/20.
My order was placed 12/3/20.
The ship date is listed as 12/17/20.
FedEx lists the physical ship date as 12/24/20. I realize there could be variables in that regard.

For the record I'll say again, a simple email response would have settled the issue.
If they didn't have all their ducks in a row they should have stopped taking orders until they were ready.
An even easier fix would have been to put an alert on the order page stating that orders wouldn't be filled until a certain date or some such variation. The customer could then decide if they still wanted to complete an order.
Extended delivery times during the holiday season, pandemic delays etc. are understood and expected. Their issues of transition etc.,were their issues and shouldn't have been a contributing factor. If they were unable to do normal business it's on them to warn the customer in advance. Some unsuspecting buyer that was totally unaware of the behind the scenes issues is owed some level of courtesy and should have been informed in some way of potential issues and delays. Someone that doesn't frequent BF probably wouldn't have such knowledge.
By not responding to emails or providing another means of working contact GSM dropped the ball plain and simple.

Where they go from here is an unknown quantity at present. Anyone that claims to know detailed information beyond that probably works for them.

What rings true to me is that you defend just like a shill would.

My order did come this afternoon and all is satisfactory.
The packaging receipt shows the order date as 12/13/20.
My order was placed 12/3/20.
The ship date is listed as 12/17/20.
FedEx lists the physical ship date as 12/24/20. I realize there could be variables in that regard.

For the record I'll say again, a simple email response would have settled the issue.
If they didn't have all their ducks in a row they should have stopped taking orders until they were ready.
An even easier fix would have been to put an alert on the order page stating that orders wouldn't be filled until a certain date or some such variation. The customer could then decide if they still wanted to complete an order.
Extended delivery times during the holiday season, pandemic delays etc. are understood and expected. Their issues of transition etc.,were their issues and shouldn't have been a contributing factor. If they were unable to do normal business it's on them to warn the customer in advance. Some unsuspecting buyer that was totally unaware of the behind the scenes issues is owed some level of courtesy and should have been informed in some way of potential issues and delays. Someone that doesn't frequent BF probably wouldn't have such knowledge.
By not responding to emails or providing another means of working contact GSM dropped the ball plain and simple.

Where they go from here is an unknown quantity at present. Anyone that claims to know detailed information beyond that probably works for them.

Maybe they don't care because they are planning to use "big box" retailers like Walmart to move their products.
Another issue: How are we going to identify/protect ourselves from Cold Steel counterfeits without Lynn and crew? These new employees aren't going to care, or be "knife people".

Maybe they don't care because they are planning to use "big box" retailers like Walmart to move their products.
Perhaps what you experience is a product of temporary organizational stress arising from: the company ownership change, the movement of physical inventory from one state to another, the shuttering of the former CS facility, migrating GSMO's ERP system to CS, the impact of the pandemic and finally the impact of the Christmas rush? Ever consider all those factors?

Another issue: How are we going to identify/protect ourselves from Cold Steel counterfeits without Lynn and crew? These new employees aren't going to care, or be "knife people".
How do you know that the "new employees" aren't going to be "knife people?" Did you read the recent news which stated:

“Employment offers were extended to several people, some accepted while others did not. The lead sharpener and designer were among those that have either relocated or accepted new jobs with the company.

Lynn Thompson is still on board and is currently working to finalize the 2021 new items and will be working with our team on new designs for the future, Andrew Demko will continue to do what he has done for Cold Steel for years by bringing cutting edge knife designs to the table.”

Rf. https://knifenews.com/new-cold-steel-owners-gsm-outdoors-talk-acquisition-future/

Last edited:
I've purchased at least 250 value knives from at least 10 different online companies.
In my actual experience, my characterization
definitely "rings true".
At least with my "worst experiences", I was able to make contact a representative to fix the problem, or get information on my order.

Your original comment "I don't see how the customer service could be any worse" is pure hyperbole.

Where is the Cold Steel forum mod?
Where are the Cold Steel customer service reps.
Where are the products.
Maybe you are just a GSMO sycophant?
Who are you?
Why are you here defending this dumpster fire? You haven't even been a member for 2 months?
Are you even a knife enthusiast?
How many Cold Steel products do you own?
No wonder everyone but two members are ignoring you. Now I'm ignoring you.

Where is the Cold Steel forum mod?
Where are the Cold Steel customer service reps.
Where are the products.
Maybe you are just a GSMO sycophant?
Who are you?
Why are you here defending this dumpster fire? You haven't even been a member for 2 months?
Are you even a knife enthusiast?
How many Cold Steel products do you own?
No wonder everyone but two members are ignoring you. Now I'm ignoring you.
Tap-dance as much as you like, be as rude as you wish, but your original comment was ridiculous hyperbole, as are your comments above.

You clearly can't handle me disagreeing with you -- someone who doesn't automatically slurp-up the gloom-and-doom garbage so you resort to personal attacks, because you clearly have nothing else in your quiver. You're also projecting.

That's bad form, and that's on you. Just remember, you're not fooling anyone and you're not getting over...

Last edited:
Tap-dance as much as you like, be as rude as you wish, but your original comment was ridiculous hyperbole, as are your comments above.

You clearly can't handle me disagreeing with you -- someone who doesn't automatically slurp-up the gloom-and-doom garbage so you resort to personal attacks, because you clearly have nothing else in your quiver. You're also projecting.

That's bad form, and that's on you. Just remember, you're not fooling anyone and you're not getting over...

Unbelievable.
It's time for me to join the ranks of people ignoring you.
Sometimes it's hard to look away from the car crash.
You just made it a lot easier.

If you're affiliated with GSM in any way and represent their opinions and input you have guaranteed that I'm done with anything they sell, CS or otherwise.

Last edited:
Ya ignore this clown. He drops in out of the blue during the transition, and insults loyal customers, when they question shoddy service. He's a new company shill and hides behind his companies skirts. His doubling down with insults doesn't validate his position, it just reveals a lack of character. Time for the ignore button.

I'm with you brother!

I got the Shanghai Warrior.
I hate how they charged my card without shipping me my knife. That's pretty shady. I may have make a trip to my Credit Union to dispute the charge if it doesn't come this week. I can't wait forever.
I don't see how the customer service could be any worse.
You are talking to the customer service here...

I wonder how long it will be (if ever) until the public actually knows the nitty-gritty of the CS/GSMO deal? Details like the price paid, CS's financial shape at the time of the deal, the condition of their supply chain, the impact of the pandemic on CS, which key CS employees remain with GSMO, what will CS/GSMO's catalog offerings look like, will LCT offer items like blowguns and spears under another label, etc, etc., etc?

Until then, to whine about negative potential as if it's reality, is worse than ridiculous.

Last edited:
It is acceptable to voice your opinion on the topic.
It is NOT acceptable to voice your opinion of other members.

Discuss the topic or put a cork in it. That goes for all the posters.

I received the last of the three orders I recently placed with CS. To recap:

Orders placed on 12/07 and 12/15, were received on 12/24.

An order placed on 12/10 was received today, 12/28.

As one point of comparison, I ordered a Glock KB17281 81 Field Knife on 12/19 via Amazon, where it was listed as being in stock. It shipped on 12/23 via UPS from Atlanta, with an ETA of 01/05/21 via free/non-Prime shipping.

Last edited:
Back