No love for the Aileron?

The Benchmade dealer in town received the new Aileron. I quite like it, particularly the feel of the handle. The one he has is the first version, black, serrated. He has a satin finish, plain blade coming in, that he will hold for me.

I'm surprised there seems to be no chatter about this knife. Seems nice to me. Any new owners or still too early?

--Larry

If you do a search you'll see the chatter about it. Besides that the few reviews I've seen showed its a decent knife ... But the marketing is bullshit and funny af. They shouldn't have done the whole gimic thing with this knife.

I feel Benchmade's gimmicky marketing on this particular knife turned some people off, myself included. I'm sure someday I'll own one. The specs are decent and I like the design.

Nope. And no love for Benchmade these past months either, after glorious days. I'm eagerly looking forward the day they will get their brains back together and make serious knives again. Bad bad marketing choices...

Ah there. Straight out of the mailing list, typo included:

Benchmade is pleased to announce that effective today,
Jon de Asis, son of our Founder and CEO Les de Asis,
is assuming the role of President.
"I couldn't be more proud and excited to continue building on
my father's work. Benchmade is a shining example of how a
U.S.-based manufacturing operation can continue to thrive by
creating premium-quality, highly coveted products with a relentless focus on progess," said Jon de Asis.

That might explain the recent shift in style and marketing.

I have never seen a knife hated more before its release.
I have had the PE satin version since they first came out.
I thought the handle/scales shape & surface texturing looked like it would be awesome for grip. I was also drawn to its Loco like characteristics, like the oval hole & the custom pivot. I was also interested in the laser etched traction pads. These pads make one finger flicking open the knife super fun and easy. Mine came razor sharp & centered.
The Aileron, or Tarani as I like to call it, is now part of my weekly rotation.
I’f Like even more if it were just a little bigger (3-3/4 blade).

589f52a5a590f7bd8b7f8eff2fd8b9ad.jpg

Ah there. Straight out of the mailing list, typo included:

Benchmade is pleased to announce that effective today,
Jon de Asis, son of our Founder and CEO Les de Asis,
is assuming the role of President.
"I couldn't be more proud and excited to continue building on
my father's work. Benchmade is a shining example of how a
U.S.-based manufacturing operation can continue to thrive by
creating premium-quality, highly coveted products with a relentless focus on progess," said Jon de Asis.

That might explain the recent shift in style and marketing.
I'd be happy if they got the qc right and stopped the unusually high map pricing for such materials and poor qc.

I thought the handle/scales shape & surface texturing looked like it would be awesome for grip. I was also drawn to its Loco like characteristics, like the oval hole & the custom pivot. I was also interested in the laser etched traction pads. These pads make one finger flicking open the knife super fun and easy. Mine came razor sharp & centered.

I don't hate inane and non animated items. But from a company that gave us the Adamas, the Rift, the Contego the Vicar etc. with no fuss, it's just... Ridiculous?! Vain?!

I don't hate inane and non animated items. But from a company that gave us the Adamas, the Rift, the Contego the Vicar etc. with no fuss, it's just... Ridiculous?! Vain?!
Sorry FMJ, that hate comment was not directed at you personally but more as a general statement about the whole Aileron advertising debacle.

Last edited:
I did the same as colin.p except it was between the Aileron and a 575 Mini Presidio II, the 575 won out that day but I haven’t forgotten about the Aileron and will probably add one to my budding BM collection.

KR

I did the same as colin.p except it was between the Aileron and a 575 Mini Presidio II, the 575 won out that day but I haven’t forgotten about the Aileron and will probably add one to my budding BM collection.

KR
Ya, I'll no doubt add the Aileron to my pile at some point as well.

I like it. But the blade is shorter, and the price higher, than I like. Apparently I missed the marketing.

Do those traction pads hinder the cutting performance at all? It seems like thicker material would have a potential to cause some drag.

Do those traction pads hinder the cutting performance at all? It seems like thicker material would have a potential to cause some drag.
No , the traction pads do not interfere or effect cutting performance in any discernible way.
No drag, no added friction.
Mine came razor sharp, proportionately even grinds and a perfectly centered blade.
This blade will cut.

I think the marketing and texturing is remarkably silly, but seperate from that, it looks like a solid, practical knife with a comfortable handle and versatile utility oriented blade shape. It honestly strikes me as a distinctly Benchmade spin on a Spyderco design aesthetic (in a good way).

Hmmm slightly bigger blade than the Large Grip, but a smaller/slimmer handle.

Thanks for the pic

Back