No Vacation! Starring Snark W. Griswold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got me a new toy last week
PYJ0Fas.jpg
lS8v7gV.jpg

I just listed a BK15 in the exchange in case anyone is looking for one...

Yeah it didn't feel right. I generally like choils, but it just didn't work for my large hands on the tweener handle. I did like how thin the blade is.

Still got your BK2 :thumbsup:

Yeah it didn't feel right. I generally like choils, but it just didn't work for my large hands on the tweener handle. I did like how thin the blade is.

Yeah. I've got one I don't like either. I'm hanging onto it, so my kids can experience it. They can sell it after I'm dead.

Just finished reading those threads. Great read, makes me want to whale on my bk2 more. That knife really is THE survival knife. I was not a fan of someone mentioning to do that to a bk4, with my imagination, i cried a little inside.

It would be nice to put them together in one thread and sticky it.

The BK5 and BK15 are still on my “need one” list.

And to be honest, I have not put the edge on my BK2 on a single thing besides my thumb to check the sharpness.

I’m still on the lookout for the perfect Buick to field dress....

I've got a Camillus-era BK2. I knocked back the shoulders on it, and it is scary sharp. It is a fantastic knife, and one that I have wailed on quite a bit. I would definitely put it in survival-knife territory. With the proper edge, it will do any cutting chore short of fine surgery fine. And it's tough enough to take on about anything. And yes, it is a "surviving" knife as well.

I guess I need to go dig it out of my Jeep and use it some more.

Dealing with Hot weather, Smokey air, Covid-19,this sure made me laugh
D7F7BC9E-3E98-4499-9E40-00CE35EBBF6E.jpeg

Yesterday I had the opportunity to visit a new fossil funting ground. They're building a new wing for a hospital. Last week, already 4 partial skeletons of whales had been found there. Yesterday nobody from the museum was present but I decided to take a day off from work and explore the site with a buddy of mine, mainly for hunting sharkteerh.

The day went very well. We were able to collect a bunch of stuff and brought home a lot of residue that we still need to go through. When the day was slowly coming to an end, my buddy and me started finding some broken pieces of bone. He jokingly stated we might be on to another whale. I laughed it off and he said 'imagine we'd find a skull'.

A minute later I heard a hollow thwack when I put my shovel in the dirt... Yep, part of the skull of an intermediate sized whale. They call this part the basicranium.
So we rang up our contact at the museum, the guy came along and was extatic. You can't really identify marine vertabrates based on ribs or vertebrae (which are the most commonly found pieces) but the skull is crucial. Hence, he was super psyched. Of course we donated the piece to the museum for future research.

The site:

7Xb4sTt.jpg

The find (the round hole is where the first neck vertebra rotates in the skull) :
pFiXrhi.jpg

It's the lower part on the skull you can see on this drawing I borrowed from the web:
mmBOW6V.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back