Noob Question for Fiddleback Fridays!

I'm also new here, so I'm gonna piggyback on this...I have been drooling over this subforum for days and would love to pick up an Esquire for a new EDC. But I can't do Fiddleback Fridays because I'm always at work with no Internet. So, what other options have I got? Is there a WTB thread, or maybe a schedule on which the vendors get knives, so that I could check their sites? If I ask very nicely, can I get a heads up on when something similar to what I want is being made?

I've only been on here for a few weeks, but it is possible to find what you like. There is a Flea Market thread that is updated regularly, and if you look back through the old postings often you'll find items that didn't sell yet. I've picked up more than one item this way. Simply shoot the seller an email and see if the item is still available. Also there is a page on the Fiddleback Forge web site that lists vendors that carry Andy's knives - check those vendors for what you'd like. With just a bit of searching it can be done.

I'm also new here, so I'm gonna piggyback on this...I have been drooling over this subforum for days and would love to pick up an Esquire for a new EDC. But I can't do Fiddleback Fridays because I'm always at work with no Internet. So, what other options have I got? Is there a WTB thread, or maybe a schedule on which the vendors get knives, so that I could check their sites? If I ask very nicely, can I get a heads up on when something similar to what I want is being made?

I have an Esquire in Blue Mango with nice figuring that I'd be willing to let go to help give you a start. Let me know if you have any interest along with your e:mail address and I will send pics etc. The knife is new & unused.

I'm also new and I liked the idea in another post about having a webstore of inventory that's sitting.

Welcome to Fiddleback! It's a bunch of fun and EVERYONE here is super helpful!

-Will

Lots of good answers here. For those that are trying to buy from a dealer, I suggest following the "New Dealer Stock" thread. Members post as soon as they discover new knives at a dealer. Thanks to that thread I have scored a few really sweet knives.

I'm new to the whole process, but I think it's fun. Like others, I'm at work/no online access on Fridays, so I've never been part of the frenzy, but I did happen to score a leftover on the following Saturday.

I'm new to the whole process, but I think it's fun. Like others, I'm at work/no online access on Fridays, so I've never been part of the frenzy, but I did happen to score a leftover on the following Saturday.

Love me some leftovers, but for me it's Friday night. Always good knives waiting for a good home. Congrats on the score, btw.

I am pretty fast, if anyone needs a leg up and commits to paying the forge for the claimed knife, I would be happy to help shark someone's grail upon request. Gives me a good rush...

Thanks for the pointers for this newbie as well, at least as far as fixed knives and Fiddleback Friday's. I've collected dozens of high end folders that I carry - can't stand to put them in the safe even if they are worth $400-800. My favorites are a Klotzli, a WmHenry and a C Reeves that I carry regularly. I would like to have a fixed blade and I want a Fiddleback but I'm clueless about the steel I want. I know I want a Arete or a Kephart and would probably even pull the trigger on a Bushfinger or Ladyfinger. I would really like an Oreo burlap type handle with white linings I just need some help on the blade. Just general use - bushcraft type stuff, cutting cacti arms for transplanting, teasing tarantulas and scorpions and shaving wood, not a hunter. Any tips on the steel type guys? I notice that Andy uses a lot of A2 in the knives of his that I see on here and in shops. Never handled one so I'm taking a leap of faith knowing I can easily sell it if I don't like it, (seriously doubt that though)

I've been retired for a number of years so my income has seen a sizable dip, but I'm applying for social security next week so I'm ready to buy a Fiddleback! Now to see if I can have fun on a Friday.

Thanks for the pointers for this newbie as well, at least as far as fixed knives and Fiddleback Friday's. I've collected dozens of high end folders that I carry - can't stand to put them in the safe even if they are worth $400-800. My favorites are a Klotzli, a WmHenry and a C Reeves that I carry regularly. I would like to have a fixed blade and I want a Fiddleback but I'm clueless about the steel I want. I know I want a Arete or a Kephart and would probably even pull the trigger on a Bushfinger or Ladyfinger. I would really like an Oreo burlap type handle with white linings I just need some help on the blade. Just general use - bushcraft type stuff, cutting cacti arms for transplanting, teasing tarantulas and scorpions and shaving wood, not a hunter. Any tips on the steel type guys? I notice that Andy uses a lot of A2 in the knives of his that I see on here and in shops. Never handled one so I'm taking a leap of faith knowing I can easily sell it if I don't like it, (seriously doubt that though)

I've been retired for a number of years so my income has seen a sizable dip, but I'm applying for social security next week so I'm ready to buy a Fiddleback! Now to see if I can have fun on a Friday.

Many of Andy's patterns over 4" will do what you describe. Even some of the smaller models. Friday's are a great time and really fun to watch as well as participate in, but don't forget that Andy has several dealers than usually have a decent stock of knives. For instance... https://www.knivesshipfree.com/fidd...rlap-micarta-natural-white-liners-o1-steel-1/

The smaller version of the Kephart with some of your specs. There's also a Patch there in Oreo but with blue instead of white.

Another Oreo, but a Bushcrafter. http://www.dlttrading.com/fiddleback-forge-bushcrafter-black-bolster-oreo-burlap

And a Bushfinger. http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/...=/fiddleback--forge.aspx?product-listing.aspx

Here's the "dealer stock thread" where most all of the dealers can be found. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1260995-New-Dealer-Stock/page11.

As for steel, it's mostly personal preference and usage. I like stainless because I do a lot of water activities and I don't have to worry about rust, but O1 and A2 are easy enough to just coat with oil when you get home.

It's also fun to go back through the previous Friday and see what has been made! Good luck, hope you find the one!

Many of Andy's patterns over 4" will do what you describe. Even some of the smaller models. Friday's are a great time and really fun to watch as well as participate in, but don't forget that Andy has several dealers than usually have a decent stock of knives. For instance... https://www.knivesshipfree.com/fidd...rlap-micarta-natural-white-liners-o1-steel-1/

The smaller version of the Kephart with some of your specs. There's also a Patch there in Oreo but with blue instead of white.

Another Oreo, but a Bushcrafter. http://www.dlttrading.com/fiddleback-forge-bushcrafter-black-bolster-oreo-burlap

And a Bushfinger. http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/...=/fiddleback--forge.aspx?product-listing.aspx

Here's the "dealer stock thread" where most all of the dealers can be found. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1260995-New-Dealer-Stock/page11.

As for steel, it's mostly personal preference and usage. I like stainless because I do a lot of water activities and I don't have to worry about rust, but O1 and A2 are easy enough to just coat with oil when you get home.

It's also fun to go back through the previous Friday and see what has been made! Good luck, hope you find the one!

Hey, thanks for the brief education. You mentioned that you like stainless - does Fiddleback use any stainless steel on their knives? If so, what varieties so I can do a little research. I'm not much on the oil maintenance type stuff, but I suppose I will need to do it. I kind of like the uniqueness of his knives, the burlap handles mainly. I worked all me life and retired from a family business back in Texas. When I was younger I cut a lot of samples out of burlap covered linter bales (similar to a cotton bale) and Fiddleback's use of the burlap reminds me of good times spent working with my brothers.

I've started watching the Friday sales and was clicking on a "I'll take it" but someone beat me to it. Also, I'm aware of the dealers that carry the knives and I'm about to just go ahead and buy one from one of them. That won't keep me from watching the Friday offerings though.

As far as models I think I'm down to a Arete, Ladyfinger, Recluse or Kephart as I want something in the 8.5-9.5" range. Again, thanks for your reply!

I trend to keep Hiking Buddy in CPM154 an a Runt in A2. I live an work on the water so I lean to the CPM when I can get it or the A2. O1 tends to rust if you don't keep up with it or you look at it crossed eyed. A2 tends hold up better for me as the saltwater loves to eat up the 01. Just a tip if you do go with 01 use some kitchen PAM on it to help with the rusting. That way if you use it to cook or cut up food it won't taste funny. Chuck

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the brief education. You mentioned that you like stainless - does Fiddleback use any stainless steel on their knives? If so, what varieties so I can do a little research. I'm not much on the oil maintenance type stuff, but I suppose I will need to do it. I kind of like the uniqueness of his knives, the burlap handles mainly. I worked all me life and retired from a family business back in Texas. When I was younger I cut a lot of samples out of burlap covered linter bales (similar to a cotton bale) and Fiddleback's use of the burlap reminds me of good times spent working with my brothers.

I've started watching the Friday sales and was clicking on a "I'll take it" but someone beat me to it. Also, I'm aware of the dealers that carry the knives and I'm about to just go ahead and buy one from one of them. That won't keep me from watching the Friday offerings though.

As far as models I think I'm down to a Arete, Ladyfinger, Recluse or Kephart as I want something in the 8.5-9.5" range. Again, thanks for your reply!

Yeah! They mostly use CPM 154 for the stainless customs I think. For the production knives they use S35VN and CPM 3V. I am also a fan of the burlap, but I enjoy most of the handles that they come up with. It can depend on your location for knife maintain acne, but I see your in Arizona so keeping the handles, especially wood, oiled would be important. Big humidity change from GA to AZ. If you're oiling the handle might as well put a light coat on the blade! There's a good thread for maintain and around here somewhere.

Friday's are fun. Kind of new to me, I was on a hiatus for a few years and came back recently. if you're having trouble being quick on the draw definitely take advantage of some of the faster guys offer to shark for you on a 'Grail'. Lucky that there are so many cool people that hang here.

The models you have picked out are good choices. I remember when they were designing the Arete. I'm on the look out for a special knife in that same size range for my next one as well. Not sure exactly what it'll be and I'm not in a rush since I just got that F2, but I'll be ready if I find the one!

Don't forget to keep your eye on the flea market as well!

Good luck!

Before you let the Fiddleback Friday frenzy frustrate you, call Phillip at the shop # listed on the website. Phillip has a calming way, like still ocean right at dawn. He can help you get your hands on a comfortable, beautiful, hardworking tool.

Back