Noob question

Good day gentleman and ladies. I'm looking for a folding knife with ball bearing pivots. I'm not sure which models have this feature. I have $150 budget. I was looking at a sling blade but I think they made in China. So help me out if you can guys and I don't want anything made in China
Thanky

Your question is really too broad to give a good, definitive answer to, there are dozens (hundreds?) of knife models that have bearing pivots while fitting your budget and your manufacturing desires as well.

Most major knife seller websites have search options available to search for knives with bearing pivots, sort by price, and give the manufacture location as well. The easiest way for you to find what you're looking for is to just go knife shopping and filter your results by your desires, I doubt you'll get a very useful answer from here with such a broad range of options.

What else? You surely have more requirements than ball-bearing pivots. What type of blade? Drop point, clip point, etc. Personally, I would start there. Pick the blade shape and size desired and start looking. Eliminate models and brands that do not meet your needs.

Take a close look at ergonomics too. Ball-bearing pivots and fancy blade shapes won't make any difference if the knife does not fit your hand.

As for avoiding Chinese production, you will be passing up a huge section of available products. Some of them are even decently made. It is your choice though. May I suggest that you at least look at Chinese offerings to help in your "knife education" and decision-making process.

FWIW, I have one ball-bearing knife on my wish list. LionSteel's TM1. Lock type, blade shape, handle material and ergonomics all played bigger roles in helping me choose the TM1 than the type of pivot. The fact that it is a bearing pivot makes things just a little nicer.

If I may ask, why is a ball-bearing pivot so important to you? Many people feel that pivot bearings are costly and make a knife impractical for field use or everyday carry.

Oh, btw, welcome to blade forums.

Last edited:
Hmm...

The price range + bearings -China = a small selection. Does Taiwan count as China in your mind?

I think the Kershaw Bareknuckle is the first one I can think of that's USA made with ball bearings (KVT pivot).

Welcome to Bladeforums!

Make sure you know your local laws. You might be limited to certain size blades. Some cities only allow a blade under 3 inches I know.

What size glove do you wear? That helps give us an idea what size blade/handle to look at.

Do you have your heart set on ball bearing pivots?
Is one hand opening important?

Last edited:
Bareknuckle is fine if you want a budget knife, otherwise I’d say stretch the budget a little bit and get a ZT.

If the budget, bearings and non-Chinese requirements are firm, your options are pretty slim.

What else? You surely have more requirements than ball-bearing pivots. What type of blade? Drop point, clip point, etc. Personally, I would start there. Pick the blade shape and size desired and start looking. Eliminate models and brands that do not meet your needs.

Take a close look at ergonomics too. Ball-bearing pivots and fancy blade shapes won't make any difference if the knife does not fit your hand.

As for avoiding Chinese production, you will be passing up a huge section of available products. Some of them are even decently made. It is your choice though. May I suggest that you at least look at Chinese offerings to help in your "knife education" and decision-making process.

FWIW, I have one ball-bearing knife on my wish list. LionSteel's TM1. Lock type, blade shape, handle material and ergonomics all played bigger roles in helping me choose the TM1 than the type of pivot. The fact that it is a bearing pivot makes things just a little nicer.

If I may ask, why is a ball-bearing pivot so important to you? Many people feel that pivot bearings are costly and make a knife impractical for field use or everyday carry.

Oh, btw, welcome to blade forums.

Bareknuckle is fine if you want a budget knife, otherwise I’d say stretch the budget a little bit and get a ZT.

If the budget, bearings and non-Chinese requirements are firm, your options are pretty slim.

I second both these motions. If you’re looking for American made and under $150 your options may be slim, but by narrowing down things like blade shape, handle material etc may only leave you with a handful left to go into the store and look at in which case this could be exactly what you’re hoping to do.

Based on what you’ve said I agree with saving the few extra bucks or finding a used ZT. The 0450 (CF) comes to mind. Ball bearing pivot, frame lock, drop point blade, S35VN steel and 3.25” blade make it a perfect EDC knife.

That provokes another question...whats your intended use?

Bronze washers are much easier for me to maintain than bearings. I also find that I have a much larger selection of knives to pick from if I stay with washers.
If I was looking for a folder and found the perfect knife except for the requirement of bearings, I think I would still purchase it.

Bearings are not a high priority for me. I have found bearings to be hit and miss on folders. Some have been amazing and others have been lacking. I own knives with washers that perform better than some folders I've handled that feature ball-bearings.

I would look at the MKM Raut and Arvenis (I think it's on bearings) and Lionsteel SR-22A
All 3 are Italian made
USA made it's basically the Buck Marksman and Kershaw Bareknuckle. You may find a ZT on sale somewhere. Like the 0801 model, but you gotta look around.

I'm going to use it to EDC. Thanks for the helpful hints guys. I'm going to be checking out the buck Marksman. I watched it a couple of videos on the buck. For $114 I'll take it. Thanks again guys

Last edited:
The Buck Sprint with carbon fiber scales it right in your price range. Plus it comes in a few different configurations.
But it's smaller than the Marksman.

Here's one in Burlap Micarta.

sprint.jpg

Back