Not a flat line anywhere.......

Great looking knife Coop! But I have to tell you, I see curves blended every where on that mean machine! Larrin. You are so right. As Loveless has been known to say. People (makers) are making knives with no idea of why, or what the things or shapes on a knife are for. It's getting way bad out there. I see more and more totally useless designs being toted as the latest and greatest fighter, fighter, combat. A lot of them could get you killed in a bad situation. At best. They are Eye candy to get the Arm-chair warrior to fire off his dollars. It has gotten to the point of being completely ridiculous. Mike

Perhaps we should be asking ourselves something other than whether a knife has straight lines, or curved. Does the knife have a purpose. Can it perform as intended. Is the design solid. Is it a real, tool, or something that would be better off with a picture frame around it. Useless as a cutting instrument. And If so, what is its excuse for existing. Ive seen many pieces lately that belong in a fantasy Animation. Not the real world. This is fine if being marketed as a fantasy piece. But not when being marketed as a serious combat, or tactical baled. This canbe a deadly mistake in combat. I'm seeing a lot of this lately. And God help the person that questions it here on B/F. Especially if the person questioning the piece is a another maker. . The very people who study this craft, and practice it on a daily basics aren't encouraged, but very much discouraged to ever be in such a discussion here. Mike

Mike,

Sounds like a topic you are passionate about and deserves its own thread. It really doesn't have relevance to THIS thread's intention.

Thank goodness for all those fantasy knife makers out there. It can only make the best of the best stand out..... ;)

Coop

Coop, i have no problem with fantasy knives. Hibben, Fox, Fantastic. Its knives being sold for combat in particular that are totally useless. they look good to the young soldier. but put his or her life in danger. Here at Ft. Hood, I see a lot of this. And your right, this does deserve a thread, but I will be strung up. Mike

If we're talking about finding tried and true designs that have perfectly straight edges, then many instances can be found with puukkos having totally straight spines. Here's an example—I have this knife and its blade spine is dead straight; photo from member Silenthunterstudios:
IJ1224.gif

Another example of a perfectly straight line on a blade would be a traditional wharncliffe blade. I've seen modern ones called modified wharncliffe where the blade edge line is given a slight belly for better slicing, but I prefer the straight wharncliffe because the point can be used more like an x-acto blade. Spyderco's Kiwi is a good example. (Photo from KnifeCenter.com):
sp75pjb.jpg

Now the argument may be made that these blades may not be aesthetically pleasing, which is probably the point of the first post of the thread. I happen to find the wharncliffe blade shape pleasing, while the puukko's I would prefer both from an aesthetic sense and a using sense if it had a drop to it, which many puukko designs do have.

Or if we're looking at the profile of the knife in general, where lines of blade running into the handle is considered one continuous line, then it would be true that there isn't a totally straight line anywhere on any side of the knife as a whole since the blades' lines run right into the smooth curves of the handles. But that seems to be stacking the deck of the discussion towards flowing curves.

Thank you Grapevine - I do believe these are good examples of the use of straight lines in knife design. Though not beauty contest winners, IMHO, still they are both very good knife designs. I don't own a Puukko but I did have a Kiwi like the one pictured above. Unfortunately I lost it! However, I liked it well enough to go out and get another one! (the Spyderco factory outlet is just down the road from me) So, as in relationships of all kinds, pretty doesn't guarantee that a bond will develop! Thanks for posting these worthy examples.

I think Bob Loveless is the master of straight lines.

Back